I think I found my next 1911: Kimber SIS

shaftbass

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

Chris, just check it out well before you lay down the bucks. I've had several Kimbers, from Clackamas on forward, and there was definitely a superiority to the earlier models that has gone by the wayside. When they were hungrily trying to capture the market, they were at the top of their game. Colt was resting on their laurels, and got hit hard. From what I've seen, it seems to have flipped back in the manufacturing aspect. Colt is really making some fine 1911's again. Not a lot, but maybe that's why the quality is better than it was.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I have yet to find a review that is anything but positive about the SIS pistols (and I have been looking). Well, mostly...lots of people dont like the SIS serrations and find them to be "slippery". I will definitely take a hard look at picking one up.

What I find wierd about the serrations...since the officers these pistols were designed for are primarily undercover...wouldnt branding a weapon with the name of your department pretty well screw you over if anyone ever saw it while you were on the job?

Guest abailey362

Was down at hero gear yesterday, and Joe said he had some of these on the way. I've held a couple and the different serrations would take a little getting used to with hand placement, but I don't think it would keep me from buying the gun.

Guest atomemphis

I just ordered a Pro CDP II. I had my eyes on the SIS's and, well, their whole lineup. Good looking gun. I'd like to see it with a skeleton trigger, and the Caspian Damascus hammer, but then its getting a little bit showy for me almost.

I too have been contemplating a SIS for my first 1911 pistol. The serrations don't feel slippery to me at all and like Reef, I love the grips as well as the finish. I prefer the one without the rail but definitely want the 5" barrel. It will be for range use only. I have been a little hesitant because of the cost :eek: and the "reputation" as far as problems with some Kimber's and well, quite frankly, 1911's in general.:popcorn: I do want to add a 1911 to my collection and I do like the looks of this one as well as the Warrior but do go back and forth with the S&W's as they could save me a few hundred bucks. Decisions Decisions...

Chris, just check it out well before you lay down the bucks. I've had several Kimbers, from Clackamas on forward, and there was definitely a superiority to the earlier models that has gone by the wayside. When they were hungrily trying to capture the market, they were at the top of their game. Colt was resting on their laurels, and got hit hard. From what I've seen, it seems to have flipped back in the manufacturing aspect. Colt is really making some fine 1911's again. Not a lot, but maybe that's why the quality is better than it was.

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I had a Kimber I bought last spring and sold it not long ago because I wanted to get another one, just with night sights and a rail. I didn't have any problems out of it. Hopefully another Kimber will perform like the last one did.

*Threadjack* Where were you shopping that had a great collection of knives?
The pitures are from a Gunbroker ad.

What I find wierd about the serrations...since the officers these pistols were designed for are primarily undercover...wouldnt branding a weapon with the name of your department pretty well screw you over if anyone ever saw it while you were on the job?

Not if it stays concealed! :popcorn: But really.. even if the gun is seen, SIS doesn't mean they are SIS. Look at me, I'm about to get one, I'm not SIS!

Other than the trigger, I think it's a damn fine looking 1911.

I would be tempted to do a standard Wilcon COmbat parts package in it and replace the ejector, extractor, trigger, firing pin, etc. etc.

Guest HexHead

Just for the record, ALL Kimber 1911s were made in Yonkers, NY. The ones rollmarked "Clackamas" indicated the corporate offices were still there.

I've got two Kimbers, a Pro II and a Royal II that I've bought new within the past year and both have been flawless.

I've got two Kimbers, a Pro II and a Royal II that I've bought new within the past year and both have been flawless.

That's good to hear. It seems that people make a lot of fuss about a few problems a particular weapon may have had at some point in its past. I own a P22 that has been flawless except for a hammer repair in which Smith&Wesson did for free and returned within 4 days. My buddy owns a Mosquito that has also been flawless yet both pistols have a reputation of being "ammo particular" yet we've never had any problems shooting the cheapest we can find.

Just save up for a Wilson Combat CQB with Light Rail.

Swing by Hero Gear if Joe still has one in stock once the SIS comes in. I kinda like that Kimber, but I also REALLY liked the Kimber Raptor II. I'd fondled a few of them and a grand raptor as well (this one a personal gun and not just at a store). I love the look, but go feel or shoot a Wilson (or Baer (what I have) or Ed Brown or Nighthawk) etc...

If I were in the market for a 1911 with a light rail, I'd probably save my pennies for the Wilson. I was that impressed with it. YMMV

**BRENT**

Guest newsphotog
I have yet to find a review that is anything but positive about the SIS pistols (and I have been looking). Well, mostly...lots of people dont like the SIS serrations and find them to be "slippery". I will definitely take a hard look at picking one up.

If you are working undercover and had to draw the weapon I think you have bigger problems than worrying if some thug saw the SIS on the side.

Guest Steelharp
Just for the record, ALL Kimber 1911s were made in Yonkers, NY. The ones rollmarked "Clackamas" indicated the corporate offices were still there.

You are correct; I was speaking time frame, not location.

The new American Rifleman has a Clapp review of the SIS; a good review, of course. What got me was the pic of the SIS Pro, the Commander type... wow. Me want...

I like the solid trigger, myself. I like holes in two things; my targets, and... uh... my... uh... donuts! Yeah, that's the ticket. Donuts! :)

Guest ricks

FYI: The G&Ammo mag I got earlier this week had it on the cover and a writeup about it and the LA SIS group it was designed for.