Camping Spot suggestions? (East TN)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for Frozenhead. It is my favorite campground in the area. Very pretty there, nice and close, rarely crowded, good hiking, & HOT showers. The campsites along the loop are super nice, but if you have a large group and wnat to stay together, there are a couple group sites along the creek that are great too.

If you want a close campground in the smokies, Elkmont is OK. They have a river running through it if you want to cool down. Lots of good hikes.

As others have said, Big South Fork is nice too, but a little further away.

Not to hijack, but what are some good trails in Big South Fork for some overnight backpacking?

National Geographic has a series of trail maps. One that they offer is for the Big South Fork. The map has every single trail and road in the park. It's also very rugged and coated to be waterproof. If you're looking for an over night trail, you'll find one on this map. Can't remember the name, but it's named after a man, goes most of the way through the park and would make a great several day trail. I've not done it personally though.

Here's a link to the map I mentioned: Amazon.com: Big South Fork National Recreation Area, KY/TN - Trails Illustrated Map # 241 (National Geographic Maps: Trails Illustrated) (9781566953542): National Geographic Maps: Books

National Geographic has a series of trail maps. One that they offer is for the Big South Fork. The map has every single trail and road in the park. It's also very rugged and coated to be waterproof. If you're looking for an over night trail, you'll find one on this map. Can't remember the name, but it's named after a man, goes most of the way through the park and would make a great several day trail. I've not done it personally though.

Here's a link to the map I mentioned: Amazon.com: Big South Fork National Recreation Area, KY/TN - Trails Illustrated Map # 241 (National Geographic Maps: Trails Illustrated) (9781566953542): National Geographic Maps: Books

I have that map. It's great. I bought it at the Ranger station in Pickett State Park I think.

Edited by Erik88
Guest bkelm18

Already have one :P. I did an overnight backpacking trip a couple weeks ago in BSF. The trail you're referring to is probably the John Muir Trail. A great naturalist and one of the few people I greatly admire (even if he was a tree-hugger :))

Guest bkelm18
which trail did you do?

I forget the name off the top of my head. It's a loop trail in the Bandy Creek area. I think it was 6 or so miles. It was blazing hot out so I didn't feel like pushing too far.

Guest bkelm18
Probably the John Litton General Slaven Loop which is one I have not done yet. How was it?

Hiking Trails of the Big South Fork

You should do the Angel Falls Overlook next. It's my favorite trail I've done so far in BSF.

Did you go by yourself?

I believe that's the one. It was nice. I was alone, I haven't talked anyone into venturing into the woods with me quite yet, haha. The trail was nice. I didn't see anyone else the entire time. I found a nice little open area near a small waterfall and set up camp. It was my first time using a hammock tent and I loved it. So much better than sleeping on the ground. I do plan on the overlook hike soon once it cools off a bit.

Guest bkelm18
do you have some type of rain cover or is it just "if it rains, I'm wet" type of deal

I currently use a regular tarp suspended over it in an "A Frame" type fashion