Camping Spot suggestions? (East TN)

Hey TGOers,

I know many of you spend a lot of time outdoors. I haven't been camping since I was 12. However, I can start a fire and pitch a tent without looking too foolish. :D

Myself and a few co-workers (with varying degrees of outdoor experience) are looking for a camping spot somewhere "near" Knoxville. I live way North of Knoxville in La Follette, so anywhere in between the two is good as well.

What I'm looking for is:

Tent camping where I can leave the truck very close by (I'm nervous going too "remote" with co-workers in the group).

A place to start a fire.

Maybe some hiking trails?

Optional but desired: A place to shoot within walking or short driving distance.

The one spot that comes to mind is Norris. The only time I've been to Norris was to go to the range, but I know camping and hiking is also available.

Sad as it may be, I need to purchase some camping gear. I don't think the "GI Joe" tent from when I was a kid would be much use at this point. :P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the campground at Norris State Park is nothing special, but it does fill all the conditions you set. It is about 15 minutes from the range at the Norris watershed.

That's kinda what I was thinking. If I remember right from the Norris web site, there are two camping areas. One "primitive" and one tent/RV site with water. Thanks for the reply, Mike

I have been camping at Frozenhead State Park for the last 18 years. The campsites are great and they offer free firewood. The Obed Wild and Scenic River has some cool canyons you can explore, Frozen Head State Park has some really nice trails too. The fishing on the Emory, Obed rivers as well as Daddys Creek and Clear Creek offer some

outstanding fishing.

Guest Bluemax

Niot sure if you want to drive this far but Fontana Lake is really nice. If you want to stay " civilized " there's Fontana Village or just find a trail next to the lake and rough it as much as you want

You could also camp at Chuck Swan. There are no facilities at all but you can camp right next to the shooting range, and IIRC its all free.

Just take some water and a shovel and you are good to go there.

You could also camp at Chuck Swan. There are no facilities at all but you can camp right next to the shooting range, and IIRC its all free.

Just take some water and a shovel and you are good to go there.

Perfect for me. Not so much for my companions. This first outing will be a very "civilized camp." Sounds like Norris is a good first location for everyone. I do plan on checking out Big Ridge and Frozenhead State Park. Never been to either.

Guest mosinon

Big Ridge has some nice trails (Indian Rock!) and you can car camp. Norris is pretty much the same but the trails aren't as extensive (from what I remember) and fishing isn't as easy.

You might consider cove lake. A little north of Big Ridge and Norris but it has fishing and facilities and, when you are too tired to cook, an on site restaurant. In general I think TN state parks are pretty damn good and you won't go wrong at any of them.

Big Ridge has some nice trails (Indian Rock!) and you can car camp. Norris is pretty much the same but the trails aren't as extensive (from what I remember) and fishing isn't as easy.

You might consider cove lake. A little north of Big Ridge and Norris but it has fishing and facilities and, when you are too tired to cook, an on site restaurant. In general I think TN state parks are pretty damn good and you won't go wrong at any of them.

I live about 10 minutes from Cove Lake. Spend quite a bit of time in that park. It is very limited trail-wise, but has good fishing spots.

Guest mosinon
I live about 10 minutes from Cove Lake. Spend quite a bit of time in that park. It is very limited trail-wise, but has good fishing spots.

First off, I'd like to apologize for the film can bobber. One got away from us. If it is trails you are after it is big ridge all the way.

Maybe someone could educate me on this but I consistently hear that camping in the smokies sucks. Can anyone verify?

if I was gonna do the Smokies I would go to Cosby, most likely to not be overcrowded. Campgrounds end up being like subdivisions on busy weekends. Hard to enjoy a camping experience when there are people everywhere. Wake up in the morning to take a leak in the bushes and there twenty feet from your tent is some family eating breakfast. Heck it is worse than a subdivision sometimes.

There is a state park at the second Crossville exit. Can't recall the name but they have a shooting range, at least according to the sign on the interstate. Fishing too.

Guest bkelm18
if I was gonna do the Smokies I would go to Cosby, most likely to not be overcrowded. Campgrounds end up being like subdivisions on busy weekends. Hard to enjoy a camping experience when there are people everywhere. Wake up in the morning to take a leak in the bushes and there twenty feet from your tent is some family eating breakfast. Heck it is worse than a subdivision sometimes.

The northern end of the park is definitely more desirable if you're wanting to get away from the crowds. It's less developed than the southern end and thus brings in fewer people. I think the trails are nicer as well.

I think the State Park near Crossville is Cumberland Mountain State Parik. I was with my Boy Scout Trooper there this weekend doing an over night back pack hike. Beautiful place! Another place to check out is Bandy Creek Campground at Big South Fork, west of Onieda. Wonderful place with lots of hiking nice campground too!

I highly recommend Big South Fork to anyone who has not been. While I love the Smokies I would much rather be in BSF. My GF and I usually have the trails to ourselves and there are many places I have found that would be great for camping.

Guest SUNTZU

I don't like car camping in the Smokies unless it's at the Abram's Creek ranger station location off the Dragon. I love backpacking the Smokies starting at that same location. First backpacking camping location is 1.1 miles from the trailhead there at Abram's Creek so it's easyfor me to start after work. Most other car camping I've done in the Smokies reminds me of Walmart at Christmas. *shudder*

Sent from my Cracker Jack decoder ring using Tapatalk

........ Another place to check out is Bandy Creek Campground at Big South Fork, west of Onieda. Wonderful place with lots of hiking nice campground too!

+1000. Seems like there is also a range off the main road there as well--can someone verify? I swear while hiking I went past it when it was not open.

Guest ochretoe
That's kinda what I was thinking. If I remember right from the Norris web site, there are two camping areas. One "primitive" and one tent/RV site with water. Thanks for the reply, Mike

Norris has two campgrounds but neither are primative. The east campground is close to the Clinch river and a little more open than the West campground. The east is better for tents but if its hot go to the west, it's higher and cooler. Norris has about 20 miles of trails in the watershed. Cove lake is car camper central, not a quiet place in the park. I worked both parks as a Ranger. Big Ridge is a little more primative but campsights on the water. Big South Fork is great if you backpack. I have spent many nights there. Smokies is great in the winter but it's the most visited National Park in the U.S. Fozen Head has great trails and a nice but often crowded campground. For what you are wanting to do Norris is a good choice.

Not to hijack, but what are some good trails in Big South Fork for some overnight backpacking?

The best trail in my opinon...mainly because it offers such a variety of scenery including indian rock houses, creeks, ect. is the Honey Creek Loop. It's 5.9 miles I believe. A good trail to go in from the back side (exit of the loop) and drop pack on a rock bluff, then day hike the trail.

Other good trails are the Leatherwood Ford trail. You hike along the river, then go up to the Angel Falls overlook a few hundred feet up. Lots of good campsites along the trail. This trail continues all the way into the Kentucky part of the park and can be a 20+ mile deal if you want.

Another one are trails in the Blue Heron Mining Community area of the park in Kentucky. Also, the Burnt Mill Bridge trail is a nice loop trail 3 miles or so I think. You can take that and it connects to the Honey Creek loop for an extended trip.

What I like about BSF is its accesibility....I can be there a lot faster than I can get to the Smokies because of traffic, it's not nearly as congested, it's a clean place, and more firearm friendly (plus pet friendly!) than the Smokies.

• 4 weeks later...