Boat and Waverunner help

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

As many know my step father die late this winter. We got to keep a wave runner and bass boat with a 50hp Mercury 4- stroke. I don't think he winterized them this past year. We are headed up there this coming weekend. I'll be getting some fuel stabilizer for sure to add to the tanks, what else should I do and look for?

Been around boats my whole life, but never owned one so the maintenance side is new.

The waverunner, same thing, it's I guess a two stroke, not sure if there is a specific fuel stabilizer I should use or what. Seems like it is a bit more temperamental starting it when compared to the boat.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know 2 things about boats, well heard 2 things about boats other then they are fun.

boat = bust out another thousand

And

A boat is a hole in the water you keep throwing money into.

Never owned one but that is what I keep hearing it.

Guest BEARMAN

First off I'd remove all the old fuel and replace it with fresh, before you even attempt to start them.

Ethanol fuel will separate and wears hard on all the rubber seals and o-rings and such; especially if he didn't winterize it last year.

Also, new spark plugs would certainly be a good idea, as well.

Use a fuel stabilizer if you plan on it sitting for any lenght of time; such as marine formula Stabil.

Enjoy!

I missed a year of winterizing for my waverunner and the mechanic said if you keep out of below freezing temps along with fuel and oil change you should be fine. I had a 2 stroke so I had to check the oil before going out every time.

How long have they been sitting?

As Bearman said, drain all the old gas. Ethanol is hell on outboards. And if you are going to run the boat this year, I would only put non-ethanol in it. There could be tons of stuff you need to check depending on how long they have been sitting there.

Guest db99wj

They were used up until October or so, so about 6 months. He might have ran them until they were empty, or winterized them, I just don't know. I'm going to add some marine stabil to them regardless and drain the fuel. They were both serviced this time last year. The wave runner was in for a few weeks and had a lot of work done from what I recall, but I don't what exactly. Hopefully there is not much fuel in them.

Ethanol separation in the wave runner, I know it has a gas tank and oil reservoir and you don't have to physically mix it, when I drain it, will it be mixed or still separated? Does it mix as it is being injected in?

Check the oil, throw in some fresh non ethanol gas if you can find it. Dose of seafoam, charge the batteries and run them. If they were used in October they are fine now, unless you had some major freezing issues.

Take new plugs with you for the wave runner. The nature of the beast is bad for fouling plugs.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

They were used up until October or so, so about 6 months. He might have ran them until they were empty, or winterized them, I just don't know. I'm going to add some marine stabil to them regardless and drain the fuel. They were both serviced this time last year. The wave runner was in for a few weeks and had a lot of work done from what I recall, but I don't what exactly. Hopefully there is not much fuel in them.

Ethanol separation in the wave runner, I know it has a gas tank and oil reservoir and you don't have to physically mix it, when I drain it, will it be mixed or still separated? Does it mix as it is being injected in?

The fuel and oil in the boat are stored, contained in separate tanks and the oil is injected as the engine runs. The fuel is your concerns. Check with the dealer as some personal water craft have had tank deterioration problems due to ethanol in the fuel.

oldogy

Guest db99wj

a6cd0e6f-27cb-8651.jpg

a6cd0e6f-27f8-3343.jpg

Here she is. About 3" of gas left in tank. I bought an EZ siphon. How do I siphon it? It has the metal end on it. Do I disconnect the fuel line that goes into the tank and let the vacuum that it creates drain it? Ive only done the hose, suck until you get a mouthful and drain method!

I've owned many boats over the years. Often, more than one at a time. Add some fresh fuel, stick that outboard in a trash can full of water and fire it up! Don't wait until you put the boat in the water. You don't want to be that guy at the ramp that's holding up traffic while trying to get his boat started.

Put the trash can in place BEFORE you fill it with water. Just slide it up under the lower unit. Make sure the water level is above the water inlet holes in the drive. Don't engage the prop unless you just feel you have to and unless you're at an idle, and then be very careful.

Or, and probably the better option if you're going to keep the boat, go to the boating department at WalMart and get some earmuffs. They're not really called earmuffs but they look like earmuffs. You attach a water hose to it and it goes over the water inlet holes. Turn on the water and start the motor. I wouldn't engage the prop. I just did this myself a few weeks ago. I then have confidence about dropping it in the lake. I wouldn't drag a boat to the ramp if I wasn't sure it was ready to go.

I try to run my fuel as low as possible when I'm ready to put mine away for the winter. It's a good idea to keep the tank as near full as possible prior to this last trip of the season. You'll then have a very good reason to spend an entire day on the lake running out the fuel.

Enjoy.

Guest db99wj

Got most of the boat gas out, stabil is in On charger. Will see what fresh gas, stabil will do tomorrow. Talked with my n'bor here at the lake, who has more toys than you can shak a stick at, 3 jet skis, ski boat, double decker pontoon, a boss hoss, a boss hoss trike, 4-wheelers, etc, he suggested, since so much gas in it, 13-15 gallons to put in the stabil, clean or replace spark plugs, I cleaned them, but have some new ones too, and cranked it, I started!

The new problem is the lake. It is so high, higher than I have ever seen it, and because it is almost in several houses in some lower areas, they have closed it, no wakes. They have allowed guys to go fishing but that's it. Put tape up on ramps. I might still put in to fish and test the motor.

a6890d5e-b06a-5811.jpg

It has dropped a little, it was over the decking!

The pic below was in March of this year! Not the best side by side but the wood steps on the left usually are just above the water.

a6890d5e-b0f9-b5db.jpg

Guest db99wj

Bought a nice charger that will fast charge, slow charge and maintain.

Headed out in a moment to the big lake, Reelfoot. Hope to see some wildlife like watermouths, cotton moccasins and maybe if we are lucky, a black panther! :P