Did more training with Suarez International this weekend.

Hey folks,

Well... I guess the rapture didn't occur this weekend because I am still here. Compared to some of you guys, I am a gosh darn beacon of morality. That aside, I attended a Suarez International Close Range Gunfighting course this weekend taught by Randy Harris (a.k.a. CruelHandLuke).

Back in January, I took a Defensive Pistol Skills class taught by Randy. I won't say much about the Defensive Pistol Skills class since I did a review on it back in January, which you can find here on TGO. The Defensive Skills class is ideal for someone who has had little or no introduction to defensive handgun techniques. Personally, I found it a little remedial since I already had numerous private lessons from one of our local SWAT officers in which I was taught most of the techniques utilized in the class. However, there were a few techniques that I picked up from the Defensive Skills class that I still use today.

The Close Range Gunfighting (CRG) course is totally different from the Defensive Skills class. The CRG class takes what was taught in Defensive Skills to the next level and then some. One of the biggest differences between the two classes is in the CRG class you incorporate movement, which was totally foreign to me.

At your typical range, you will stand in your booth and place your target down range x number of yards. You then proceed to go through your various exercises while engaging the target. This is all fine and good, and it is the most of what a lot of us shooters will ever get to do due to range restrictions. However, this type of shooting is not representative of a real world scenario; neither you nor your target is moving, and there is only one target.

On really good days, which aren't often, I have done some pretty good shooting at the range I attend. I have shot 49 rounds of Blazer 9mm ammo at a distance of 7 yards and ended up with a hole inside the x-ring the size of a fifty cent piece (I had one flyer). I have shot 200 rounds at 15 yards using iron sights and kept the vast majority within the x-ring and a few flyers within the 10 ring. I have also shot rapid bursts till the mag was empty at 7 - 12 yards and kept most of the shots within the x and ten ring and a few flyers in the 9 ring. I know to some of you that is mediocre shooting at best, but considering I haven't been shooting for years and years, I think it is pretty good. Regardless, what does it mean in a real-world defensive situation? Three words. Not jack s**t.

As I mentioned earlier, if you tried to practice close range, which is where most fights occur, gunfighting techniques at your local range, you would probably be thrown out on your butt and have your membership revoked. You can keep going to your local range practicing the same old stuff deluding yourself that you are preparing for a real world defensive situation only to have TGODavid slap you with an insult by calling you target range shooting champ or something (happened to me in a thread, or at least I think he was referring to me). Or, you could attend a class, such as the one I took, and learn some invaluable techniques that might one day save your life.

The review:

The CRG class took place at the same location as my previous Suarez class on a farm in Pisgah, AL. The weather for this class was a lot better than the one in January. It was hot, but I am as comfortable in hot weather as a hooker is in a seedy motel with a coin operated bed. We had five attendees for this class, which I found a little disappointing since there have been some on the forum that expressed interest in taking a defensive-type class. As a side note, I was the last to arrive at the location (damn county roads), and when I got out of my car I noticed everyone was wearing their 5.11 tactical pants and other firearms regalia. Here I am sporting a golf polo and jeans. My first thought was, "Oh s**t, what have I gotten myself into." I was rather intimidated.

The first three hours of the class was mostly lecture. We had a safety briefing, and Randy went over a little bit of history and various aspects of defensive techniques and why they are necessary etc... There were a few moments where I got to play guinea pig only to get shot in the face and body with an airsoft gun by Randy demonstrating a technique. Yes, I did have on body armor and a helmet with a face shield. One thing I can say about Randy is he is a good teacher. Considering I haven't practiced or studied anything I was taught from my previous class with Randy, most of the information that was presented during this lecture I remembered from my previous class. I think my retention of the material must be due to Randy's penchant for bringing "titties" into the discussion. It is designed to keep me interested.

After the lecture, we had lunch and then returned to the range. We picked up another attendee after lunch, and guess what. He was wearing 5.11-type pants. I don't own any of type of clothing, but they sure must be good since everyone was wearing them, and I have read several threads on TGO related to 5.11-type clothing.

At the range we had another safety briefing, and then the fun began. The name of the course is Close Range Gunfighting, and I can attest that it is close range. Most of the work we did was between 0 and 3 yards. This work involved movement in varying directions away or towards the target. We utilized two hand, strong hand, weak hand shooting all while moving. If you want to try something hard, try shooting one-handed with your weak hand while moving. We learned how to shoot in various postions of the draw stroke. One of the techniques we learned was how to engage and fire while in a grappling position with the target (hand resting on the shoulder of the target). This actually made me very nervous at first because the distance was so close and I was firing from position 1 of my draw stroke (barrel facing down with the gun up to my pec). I kept telling myself not to shoot myself in the foot or leg. Thankfully I did not shoot myself, although I did manage to put a nice hole in the wooden target support legs and managed to rip my shirt by catching it on my slide.

We continued the day with another 3 - 4 hours of shooting learning new techniques mainly involving movement and alternative indexing methods, as Randy likes to call them. One thing I would like to point out is during my Defensive Skills class with Randy I had always utilized my sights. During the that class, I found it incredibly difficult not to use them and I was so disappointed that my targets did not look like what they might typically look like at my normal range. At the CRG class, I said to hell with what you normally do, and to hell with how your target looks. During this class, I actually tried to focus on what Randy was teaching us. What I found out was I enjoyed the class so much more, and the techniques I was learning and utilizing almost seemed natural even though I have never done them before. We finished the day with some flashlight work. This was nothing new for me since I have been taught how to shoot utilizing a flashlight in a pitch black range.

After the class, I made the drive back to Chattanooga. I looked in the mirror once I got home and noticed that I had a strawberry complexion. A free piece of advice here. If you are going to be outside for several hours in the sun, and it is 90 degrees outside, wear a damn hat.

The next day started off with a brief review of what we learned the previous day. We then worked on new close quarters techniques mainly involving movement. We also incorporated hand and or knee strikes to the target before engaging it with gun fire from various positions with the draw stroke. We also talked and worked on utilizing cover during a gun fight. I still suck at one handed weak hand shooting. We ended the day by going through various drills that we had learned the previous day. After shooting 600 plus rounds during those 2 days, the execution of the drills were becoming more fluid, although I am still quite robotic in my technique.

All in all, I had a blast (no pun intended) at this course, It was fun, and I learned a ton of valuable information and acquired a bunch of new skills. I now feel more confident that if I am ever engaged in a close quarters fight in which I have to fend for my life that I have acquired information and techniques that I can use to greatly increase my chances for survival.

If you are interested in a defensive, although at times seems offensive, pistol fighting class, then this is the class for you. It is relatively inexpensive, you will have a great teacher, and you will learn some valuable skills. I am sure that this class will be taught again some time in the future.

As a final note (actually a friendly jab), which I am sure if you have read my entire post, you are saying, "Thank God.", it appeared that everyone was using a Glock for this class outside one person. One person, me, was using a semi-custom 9mm Nighthawk Talon FLX 2011. During the 2 day class, I noticed there were multiple failures. I had one misfire out of 600 - 700 rounds of cheap Blazer ammo. I direct the following question to all the 1911/2011 haters and the semi-custom 1911/2011 haters. How about them apples? :D

Edited by mav
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review Mav. You did look a lot more comfortable shooting without taking the time to look for a "picture perfect sight picture" this time.

There is a balance between hitting and not being hit. When your opponent is 3 to 4 yards away we need to lean more towards the "not getting hit" and less towards bullseye style marksmanship. We are not saying accuracy is not important . On the contrary it is VERY important. The only way to MAKE him stop trying to hurt you is to damage him to the point he cannot continue and that requires hitting him QUICKLY in IMPORTANT places. But if your drawstroke drives the muzzle to where you need it to be do you really NEED to take the extra time to LOOK for the sights inside 5 yards? Is a fist sized 3 or 4 round burst in the center of the chest accurate enough to win a fight? I'd say yes. Especially if it is delivered while you are getting out from in front of him and moving to better position.

As a word of clarification....I don't know that I ever actually used the word "titties"....but we do use the pectoral muscle as an index point both in the drawstroke and in retention shooting. And as a matter of fact, some of the malfunctions MAV mentions were where folks did not use their index points properly and let the slide hit them as it cycled causing failures to eject.

Great group of students and I hope to see more TGOers in the future!

As a word of clarification....I don't know that I ever actually used the word "titties"....but we do use the pectoral muscle as an index point both in the drawstroke and in retention shooting. And as a matter of fact, some of the malfunctions MAV mentions were where folks did not use their index points properly and let the slide hit them as it cycled causing failures to eject.

Just trying to add some humor, but I typically fail at that since very dry humor doesn't translate too well over the keyboard.

Best place to start is here.....Class Schedule

That has the complete schedule and list of classes and class descriptions.

A list of just my classes as it currently stands ........

May 28/29 AR/M4 Gunfighting, Chattanooga TN

June 4-5 Force On Force Chickamauga, Ga

June 18/19 PRIVATE class in Ohio

June 25/26 Fighting Rifle Skills, Jacksonville FL

July 23/24 Zero to 5 Foot Pistol Gunfighting, Pierpont OH

JULY 30/31 Defensive Pistol Skills, Chattanooga TN

Aug 13,14 Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting Louisville KY

Aug 27/28 Rifle Gunfighting, Crestview FL

Sep 10/11 Close Range Gunfighting , Jacksonville FL

Sept,15,16 Low light gunfighting Chattanooga,Tn (NEW CLASS To BE Announced)

Sept 17,18 Vehicle gunfighting Chattanooga , Tn (NEW CLASS To BE Announced)

Oct 1,2 Zero to 5 Foot Pistol Gunfighting Atlanta, Ga (To Be Announced)

Oct 15,16 Force on Force Columbia, SC

Nov and DEC (To be determined)

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
Guest goomba

Not much I can add to MAV's review. It was a great class.

just remember to clean your gun. I bought my G19 used, and have put over 2,000 rds through it in the last year (2,600 rds now after this class) & I have not clean it at all (on purpose). I ended up having several failure to fires. which was a major pain near the end of day 2. MAV let me borrow a spare gun for the last two drills (thanks again Eric). my G19 will get a good detailed cleaning & check soon.

I highly recommend taking one of Randy's whenever you get a chance to do it.