Range etiquette???

Guest Boomhower

Guest Halfpint

To second what Neero and ATO said, one local range here won't allow head shots for fear of damaging the target carriers. I know most of the staff at said range reasonably well, and that is their repeatedly explained reason . . . shooting with a stand type target carrier, as at MSSA, means you can pretty much shoot the target wherever you want.

As for the targets at that particular range, the target itself says-- "Do not shoot above this line." Fine by me, I'll flip the target over and shoot BELOW it on occasion.

Guest canynracer
To second what Neero and ATO said, one local range here won't allow head shots for fear of damaging the target carriers. I know most of the staff at said range reasonably well, and that is their repeatedly explained reason . . . shooting with a stand type target carrier, as at MSSA, means you can pretty much shoot the target wherever you want.

As for the targets at that particular range, the target itself says-- "Do not shoot above this line." Fine by me, I'll flip the target over and shoot BELOW it on occasion.

EXACTLY.....

....turn the target upside down, and shoot the head if you must...

there are plenty of other ways to practice grouping without shooting headshots.

Generally, I try to get all the mileage I can out of my targets. We have to buy ranges targets, no problem there. After I shoot out the center, I'll shoot out the head,then the arms, etc. I have noticed that a lot of the ladies at the range tend to do the old tallywhacker grouping!

What you shoot at (as long as it's safe), and where you shoot it are not range etiquette issues... those are PC issues.

Range ettiquete issues are things like:

- Setting up your loud-boomer magnum in the lane next to the father and child learning to shoot a .22

- Sweeping the firing-line with the muzzle of the gun you were just firing, after experiencing a jam (or any other time)

- Handling your weapon while the range is cold

- Being inconsiderate of where your brass is landing

etc...

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean?

It means that your gun is on the table, pointed down range, not being held, because someone might be downrange fixing something. Of course, their are other people here who could explain it better than me and more in depth.

Guest canynracer
Generally, I try to get all the mileage I can out of my targets. We have to buy ranges targets, no problem there. After I shoot out the center, I'll shoot out the head,then the arms, etc. I have noticed that a lot of the ladies at the range tend to do the old tallywhacker grouping!

the range I go to has a silouette on one side, once you shoot it up, turn it over, there are six bullseye targets waiting for ya

Guest atomemphis

cold range rarely happens at an indoor facility if you are a shooter at one of those.

usually somebody will yell 'cease fire, i knocked my sandwich onto the range floor and would like to get it please" or some derivative thereof.

Guest canynracer

I have never heard a cease fire at the range I go to, generally they can only be called by the rangemaster, and would need to be a pretty good reason...I just cant think of a good reason one would call it. Like I said, it hasnt happened at the range I go to.

I HAVE heard that at outdoor ranges they have them for changing targets and such...you dont have that issue in an indoor range...just saying....

Guest atomemphis

That is correct. No "human-like" targets at Stones River.

Doesn't that TWRA range around Murfreesboro forbid human shadow targets?

if that's true, that's really lame.

Edited by atomemphis
Hmm, Len was original poster here...

Anyboby ever get bothered by brass hounds?I dont reload so I do not mind people picking up my brass,but gorsh,wiat till im done shooting :rolleyes:.

Theres a one couple at prentice cooper that picks up everytime im there,and they never seem to ask anyone if they mind.

I have had people try to pick up brass at Coal Creek WHILE I am shooting. One guy kept doing it, so I started kicking my brass out onto the range as he started back my way. It was a great race! :rolleyes:

Guest Phantom6
I have never heard a cease fire at the range I go to, generally they can only be called by the rangemaster, and would need to be a pretty good reason...I just cant think of a good reason one would call it. Like I said, it hasnt happened at the range I go to.

A cease fire may be called by any one that observes an unsafe condition on the range. This regulation should be noted in the range SOP's and I would not shoot at a range that allowed only a "Rangemaster" to call a cease fire. Unless the range SOP's say otherwise, when you hear the command to cease fire, remove your finger from the trigger guard immediately, go to a low ready keeping the firearm pointed down range and await further instructions which should come from the rangemaster or Range Safety Officer. These instructions could be anything from "commence firing" to "table your firearms and clear the line, the range is cold".

Guest canynracer

good point...like I said, I have never heard one...but like you said Unsafe condition...id be pretty ticked if one was called for something like a target fell...

Guest Phantom6
I have had people try to pick up brass at Coal Creek WHILE I am shooting. One guy kept doing it, so I started kicking my brass out onto the range as he started back my way. It was a great race! :lol:

I don't reload so I don't keep my brass and generally don't care if folks wish to pick up my cases but heaven help the "brass-whore" that attempts to enter my firing point and pick up my empties prior to my abandoning my spot on the line. That is

#1.) DANGEROUS and

#2.) rude

and I do not tolerate either when I am shooting.

I would have complained about the butt-head and told Cold Creek to either tell the dude to stay on his own firing point or eject his careless a$$. Otherwise, give me my damned money back and I'd leave.

But....... that's just me.:)

Phantom 6 is entirely correct. I was formerly the Range Safety Coordinator for the Cherokee Rod and Gun Club in Kingsport, and when we wrote our range safety manual for members, the issue was addressed like this: (I should point out that Cherokee does not have rangemasters on duty except for formal matches.....in our day to day shooting, safety is the responsibility of all shooters.)

"10. UNSAFE SITUATION. Any person on the range, upon seeing an unsafe situation, may and should yell “Cease-Fire!†All shooters are then required to cease all firing, open and empty all firearms, and step away from the firing points. This is mandatory – you may never question or argue with a cease fire command, no matter who gives it."

.....and in our Shooters Manual for Military Rifle and Pistol Matches it was addressed like this

"Range Commands. All persons on the range are subject to the commands of the Match Director, who also serves as the rangemaster. Only he or his designated alternate will issue commands, except that any person seeing an unsafe situation during a firing period MAY AND SHOULD yell “CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE.†Shooters are then to open and safe their firearms, lay them on the bench pointing downrange, and await further instructions."

I was in the Army from 1961 to '64 and the rule was the same.........ANY person seeing an unsafe situation was to call for a cease fire, and again in my LEO career over 28 years I shot on many ranges as shooter, instructor, and instructor trainer, and the rule was always the same. In the gun clubs I have belonged to in the last 40 years, arguing with a cease fire command or refusing to obey it would be very strong grounds for dismissal from the club.

We're starting our Military Rifle and Pistol Matches up at Cherokee on March 15th and every third Saturday through September. Come on up and have some fun.We're a very safe bunch.

JayPee

Guest Scottech
What you shoot at (as long as it's safe), and where you shoot it are not range etiquette issues... those are PC issues.

Range ettiquete issues are things like:

- Setting up your loud-boomer magnum in the lane next to the father and child learning to shoot a .22

- Sweeping the firing-line with the muzzle of the gun you were just firing, after experiencing a jam (or any other time)

- Handling your weapon while the range is cold

- Being inconsiderate of where your brass is landing

etc...

Good issues MLTN.

Those of you that have shot with me at Sterling Range know that my Mini-14 brass ended up in the next county.:bored:

Unfortunately my AR finds the right arc to go down an open collared shirt. Sorry 'bout that!:)

Guest someguy12341

If memory serves, RangeUSA has a sign up on the door as you walk into the range that says No Head Shots... In their case, anyway, it has NOTHING to do with political correctness. (Scott's been called many things, but I doubt PC was one of them.:bored:) The issue, for them, is newer shooters trying for a headshot, missing, and destroying the target carrier, or worse, risking a ricochet back towards the firing line.

In fairness, I've never seen them enforce this for shooters they recognize as 'veterans' or the IDPA crowd that they have some comfort level with already. And for any of you thinking this shouldn't be an issue, just look at the bullet marks in the ceiling next time you go to the range... (I'd guess this is true of almost any range.) :)

Edit - I managed to post this still half-asleep without seeing pages 2-5, and realizing this is completely redundant. Duh...

Edited by someguy12341