need help finding good 9mm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a recommendation. If you find a pistol that meets all your requirements, but is a bit small in your hands, put a Pachmyr or Hogue grip on it. That will thicken things up and make it a perfect fit.

Guest Lester Weevils
looks like im going to have to wait a little while before i get anything my truck needs a clutch and i will hopefully have a job so truck needs fixed first ):

Bummer. Its a shame about the unexpected truck expense.

Compliments for having your priorities straight. Making a living takes pirority over toys when it comes right down to it. You will get a pistol soon enough.

If you are looking for an in-expensive 1911 frame in 9mm you might want to check out the Star brand (they look so much like the 1911 that they were used as prop guns in Saving Private Ryan). Saw one yesterday @ pawnshop outside of Clinton for less than 2 bills .This is not an endorsement ! Happy hunting ! Bucnball

Actually one of the cheapest and well built 9mm out there is the Ruger P89. I think there is one in the classified section that is up for sale for less than $300. They are not small, but they fit the hand nicely, go bang every time, and are not finicky about ammo. It would be a good first time 9mm.

Here is the link. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/57664-f-s-4-pistols-2-rifles-2-shotguns-sale-individually.html

Another "Fun" pistol to take a look at is the Ruger Convertible Blackhawk in .357 and 9mm. I know it's not tacticool, but it goes bang every time and is super reliable! The con is it's a little slow to reload. I'd love to have one!

Edited by Moped
If you are looking for an in-expensive 1911 frame in 9mm you might want to check out the Star brand (they look so much like the 1911 that they were used as prop guns in Saving Private Ryan). Saw one yesterday @ pawnshop outside of Clinton for less than 2 bills .This is not an endorsement ! Happy hunting ! Bucnball

That would be shylocks...the home of reasonable guns

Guest Lester Weevils
So far in 9MM, I've had/have Beretta 92's, Beretta Cougar, Sig P6/225, CZ SP01, Glock 26, Glock 34, M&P 9Pro, XD9Tactical, Kahr CW9, and a Colt Defender. If you have a larger hand, and don't mind it's bulk for carry, I highly recommend the Beretta 92. Out of the box, the DA trigger pull is a bit long and heavy, but after about 200 rounds, it smooths out quite a bit. The trigger is also fairly tunable without a major ordeal.

Yep, if buying a first 92, I wonder if the 90two model or the 92A1 would make more sense than a 92FS or M9? I've never handled or shot a 90two or 92A1 and personally prefer the appearance of the 92FS. But the 90two and A1 seem to mostly retain the good features of the 92FS, and add a few features that actually could be beneficial. I don't expect to rail-mount anything on a 92, but if one ever did get that hankering, a rail would be good to have. And if one got the hankering to put a new front sight on the gun, those new ones have dovetail-mounted front sights that would avoid the hassle of milling the slide on a 92FS.

On the other hand, in addition to the basic simplicity and reliability of a 92FS, it has industrial design/styling closer to "work of art in a practical implement" than most pistols. It is very artfully shaped. A beautiful hunk of metal. The artful shape is easier for me to see in the shiny inox models, for whatever reason. Was taking pictures of the 92 along with some other typical pistols. They all are handsome, but the 92 side-by-side the others just seemed obviously a sexier shape. The new improved 92 models seem to lose some of the artful appearance of the original. The new ones look more utilitarian.

====

I have enough pistols and don't need any more. But if wife were to demand "We don't have enough guns! Go out and buy more guns! Right now!", then an inox/stainless Cougar (either Beretta or Stoeger) might be near the top of the list.

People say good things about the Stoeger Cougar and it is less than $500. It looks fabulous and folks say the rotating barrel locking system is accurate with minimal recoil. The Cougar has a short enough barrel that it ought to be fairly concealable for carry.

With a barrel length the same as my Kahr P9, even a full-size Cougar might not be incredibly difficult to carry, though the Kahr is much thinner. And it is certainly prettier than something like a Glock 26 (which is in the same size ballpark). My Kahr holds 7+1 rounds and the full-size Cougar holds 15 + 1 rounds. From what I hear a Cougar would be a more-fun range gun than the Kahr P9. The P9 is not unpleasant to shoot, but it would not be my first pick for range plinking.

Cougar sounds like perhaps a really good first gun-- Beautiful (especially in a stainless variant), accurate enough to make a decent range gun, and small enough to make a decent carry gun, and not break-the-bank expensive.

The same might be said for the Beretta PX4. It is also supposed to be real accurate and reliable with the same kind of rotating locking mechanism. I shot a PX4 and liked it a lot. But the PX4 looks to me more like a flare gun than a pistol. :rolleyes:

Guest motonut
If these are your qualifications, then the Sig P250 will meet your requirement quite nicely. I, personally, prefer DA/SA so if I were looking today for a plastic pistol I'd look at the Sig Pro 2022. I have two XDs, have had multiple Glocks and I think the 2022 is the best plastic pistol I've ever shot, hands down.

Your results may differ.

I've had my SP 2022 for a few weeks (and 250 rds.) now and love it. A great shooting pistol and very reasonably priced to boot. Paid $447 but that was with the nite sights, w/ contrast sights they were under $400.

Pick up a new Kahr CW9 tomorrow.........

sorry about all the new WTB threads you probably see from me every day well today i checked out a few the SR9 g17 of the listed guns and a new one a makarov surprisingly i liked the feel of it......... i locked the other WTB adds sorry i just got a little keyboard happy for a few days now since i know what i want no more spamming the WTB section

• 9 months later...
Guest TNdad

I picked up a Sig P2022 on GunBroker for $350 last month and it is SWEET! I have a Steyr M40 and really like it, but I had to get a 9mm for my wife. I love Sigs and this is definitely a Sig. I was worried since it's not as expensive as ofther Sigs, but I've not a problem with it. The DA/SA works great and I don't think that I want to do the DAO conversion.

From all you have said and been thru here outlaw, I *strongly* stand by the rock island 1911 in 9mm.

Keep this in mind. Every DA gun has a sloppy pull. The first (double action shot) is heavy and long pull. The followup shots have give in the trigger before the sear is activated. Its not possible to do it any other way, really, without a really complex action that would be prone to failure (bunch of gears, for example). The beretta 92 is a FINE gun. It is, however, typical of a DA gun and just like the ruger for the trigger. I have both, and like both a lot, but I dunno if YOU would like ANY double action pistol. The only thing that is going to have a decent trigger (compared to say a single action revolver) is a single action auto, and those are almost all (apart from a few .22s) 1911 style.

Missed that post. If you picked makarov, I can show you how to make it single action, but its going to take a cnc machine. We did mine and its a sweet target pistol.

Edited by Jonnin