Metal roofs ?

Need info on metals roofs. Wife keeps talking about getting a metal roof. we have to get ours replaced due hail damage. I know the cost will be alot . Anybody have an idea of the pricing difference between the asphalt and metal? Any experience or opinions. I think we're looking at 2800 sft.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that the metal roofing should be about the same if not a bit cheaper when you consider everything.

My wife and I installed our painted metal roof without any issues. She handed it up and I screwed them down. Once you get the first few in place and they are straight it is quick and simple from there. I would say it took an hour to get the first few "right" and another hour to install the rest on one side of the house. We were completely done in a day.

I think we paid $1.07 a linear foot for sections that were 30 inches wide. You do need the special gasketed screws which are pricey but you have to have them. The cost to cover our roof was less than $1200 for everything but that was in 2003. But it should still be cheaper than shingles because oil prices won't affect metal roofing as much as shingles, which are all oil based. In speaking with a few distributors there is no need to get the roofing with the 20 year or 30 year warranty. There is no difference and it all comes off the same roll. The only difference is if you have a problem within that time period they will give you a replacement panel but you still have to get someone to install it.

Metal roofs are more durable than shingles. I wll say that all of my neighbors have lost shingles, even substantial portions of their shingled roofs have went missing in the recent years and we have yet to have a problem.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

My asphalt roof is not damaged but it is old and must be replaced this year.

Have read that some installers can put a layer of foam insulation between the roof boards and the metal roof, adding energy efficiency. The less heat makes it to the attic in August, the easier it is to keep down the cooling bills.

Haven't looked around to see if any installers in my area are experienced putting a layer of insulation under the roofing. If ya gotta spend the money anyway, then an extra layer of insulation seems a no-brainer?

The only thing under my metal is a layer of plastic and two layers of paper. I did install R30 in the ceiling so my attic is pretty much uninsulated. I have decent air flow so I am not worried about it getting too hot up there. In the winter my roof keeps snow on it so there is very little heat rising through the insulation.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Dolomite

My house is ancient. I've crawled around in the fiber fill insulation in the attic and added roll insulation, aluminum-backed chipboard, and reflectix, which actually did reduce the air conditioning bill a little bit, but on a hot day you can still put a hand up near the ceiling and feel heat radiating down.

If a light-colored roof and a little more insulation on the top side would keep some heat on the outside of the roof boards, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Since the roofing has gotta be replaced anyway.

Dunno how they add insulation on the outside. Maybe tack down 1 X 2 runners on the roof for screwing down the roof panels, and then put 3/4 inch foam blocks in-between the runners under the roof panels? Maybe they have more elegant ways of doing it.

If you are looking at the high-end painted metal roof, it's usually around twice the price of the average shingle roof (depending on how much labor is involved in the installation and what kind of shingles you are comparing it to). That said, it's worth every penny. Most painted metal roofs are so durable that just the color paint layer has a 50 year warranty. They are very quiet if installed properly, don't get as hot as asphalt shingle roofs, and last a lot longer. They were very popular in Florida when I lived there and never heard anyone say they regretted paying the extra cash.

Some one said to put it over existing shingles but I don't know if I would want to do that. When we got the home it had no insulation. I mean none. Its open with beams and it had a tongue and groove ceiling with the shingles on top "hot". When we had it roofed they built it up with sections of 4x8 panels 4" thick. The guy built it himself and it was started '64 Sure does alot of poping creaking when the weather changes

Need info on metals roofs. Wife keeps talking about getting a metal roof. we have to get ours replaced due hail damage. I know the cost will be alot . Anybody have an idea of the pricing difference between the asphalt and metal? Any experience or opinions. I think we're looking at 2800 sft.

What's the pitch like on your roof?

Not bad This is it, I a figured pic would easier

roof045.jpg

My guess is around $16,000. Pitch isn't too bad, but it looks like a good amount of overhang. My guess is based on your figure of 2800 sq/ft under roof, that being the above grade living area. So maybe 36 squares @$400.00 a square. It's saturday so I can't make a call to try to get a better guess.

Thanks for ruff estimate. 2800 is actual roof footage per adjuster. Wife is on the metal kick. Honestly I'm not sure if a metal roof will look good on this house. There's also a detached carport with same pitch. thanks again for help

I know in about 2 years I am going to have to redo my roof as well. I have considered Metal, however I use my Fireplace allot. I have to make certain there is access for cleaning the chimney yearly. My chimney is in the center of my roof. I guess I assumed walking on the metal roof would not be the best thing for it.

Your chimney can be reached from the outside edge at least.

I know in about 2 years I am going to have to redo my roof as well. I have considered Metal, however I use my Fireplace allot. I have to make certain there is access for cleaning the chimney yearly. My chimney is in the center of my roof. I guess I assumed walking on the metal roof would not be the best thing for it.

Your chimney can be reached from the outside edge at least.

How do you think they screw it down?

I have walked all over my roof without any problems. The only problem is pollen will make it slick and you might slide off the edge. Maybe the fingernail gouges as you try to stop yourself might damage it but other than that I don't see a problem.

Dolomite

I put steel down over an asphalt shingle roof in Florida about 40 years ago and last time I saw the house the steel was still there. I remodeled another house in FL that included a whole new roof system. I, myself, installed steel on it and it went through the storms of '04 unscathed while many houses in our area wore blue tarps for a long time.

I had built a 1500 SF pole barn here in TN in '06 and the roof and skin is steel. Just last summer I installed a 14 x50' addition, again, steel but I did the work myself. My house here is ten years old with a 30 year asphalt shingle roof that still looks good. If and when I ever replace the roof it will be steel but I will not do it. Way too much pitch for my comfort.

Laying steel on a flat plane is not a bad job unless the pitch is over about 4-12 I believe my comfort pitch would be.

The secret is to measure three or four times and then measure again before you cut as mistakes would be very expensive. The steel supplier will cut the overall length per your instructions so they best be right.

The difficulty in laying a steel roof is cutting valleys, irregular angles, etc.

There is a difference in steel qualities of roofing.

I would want to see several jobs any prospective contractor had done before I would let the job. Better yet, I would like to observe the crew at work.

Nothing more pleasing than a standing seam roof on many buildings.

Did I mention, I like steel roofs.

Walking on a steel roof is no problem unless you weigh a half ton.B) None of my roofs have ever had any "oil canning"

And don't even think about walking or crawling on a wet roof.

The pitch on the house shown does not look to be very much and quite a long plane. You might want to get several opinions on the raised groove you'll need.

Edited by oldogy
additional comments
  • 5 years later...

Sounds kind of slimey of the dude!

back to metal roofing, I just bought some for 1.99 a lf x 36". It's heavy gauge and painted. 

Low prices are gone for now after the wonderful faux economy. 

I wanted some used to match my barn but all I could find costs more than new. It's apparently trendy and we are too close to Asheville.

i suspect prices will right themselves now that we have an actual adult in charge.