Have a question about buying a weapon from private party

NV2TN

We are moving to Nashville in a few weeks. I have a question about buying from private party.

In Vegas you have to register your handguns. So when buying from person to person you go to metro and they do the paperwork. So no way of getting something that you shouldnt have! And if they dont want to meet at metro then you know you DONT want to buy it!

In TN you do not have any of that. I realize you should buy from someone who doesnt want to meet in a dark alley and has the #'s scratched. But you just never know who your really buying from and where its been!

Other than buying from a store is there any to be able to check?:P

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can meet the seller at a local gun store, and have them run a check if you'd like. Most people don't, and just use a Bill of Sale.

Bill of Sale has all the sellers information including driver's license info, etc... so if something were to not check out someday, you know who you bought it from.

You can meet the seller at a local gun store, and have them run a check if you'd like. Most people don't, and just use a Bill of Sale.

Bill of Sale has all the sellers information including driver's license info, etc... so if something were to not check out someday, you know who you bought it from.

Some gun stores won't run a check for free, even though it doesn't cost them anything. Some places (maybe most, but I don't know) will want to process it as a transfer, then charge you some sort of transfer free, so I would check before going in. There's one particular store in my area that won't do anything for free, even including looking up a past sale for a customer, and they charge a minimum of a $100 transfer fee.

and they charge a minimum of a $100 transfer fee.

That's like crazy high. How can they even justify that? I guess some folks are willing to pay that. :P

Several shops in Nashville that are TGO vendors charge TGO members $10 :)

Cut to the chase for OP:

- there is absolutely no legal requirement here to have gun checked out when buying in a private transaction.

- even if you were to buy a stolen gun, you must have done so knowingly, or find out it is stolen after the fact, to be guilty of possessing stolen property.

- OS

That's like crazy high. How can they even justify that? I guess some folks are willing to pay that. :mad:

Several shops in Nashville that are TGO vendors charge TGO members $10 :D

Pardon the thread hijack. That particular shop does enough business selling their own guns that they are probably intentionally trying to discourage people for using them for FFL transfers and the like.

I know of another shop in the same region that will charge you $40 for a transfer of a new weapon from another FFL (since I assume that cuts into their sales) but only $25 for a used gun (plus the $10 TICS fee). I suppose that's reasonable, companies have to make a profit somehow.

Back on topic -

If it were me, unless I knew the person fairly well, I'd want to see the paperwork showing that they were the original purchaser or some other trail of credentials of ownership of the weapon. Other than that, requiring good solid ID and including detailed information about both parties on a bill of sale is your best bet.

Cut to the chase for OP:

- there is absolutely no legal requirement here to have gun checked out when buying in a private transaction.

- even if you were to buy a stolen gun, you must have done so knowingly, or find out it is stolen after the fact, to be guilty of possessing stolen property.

- OS

^^^ This.

It's best just to meet in a public place and be discreet. I like using a BOS for record keeping but I have done without. Your preference. The worst part is finding out there is something wrong after the fact but even with seller's info, you have no real recourse.

Who in the heck would charge $100??? I have seen used/new at 25/40 and 25/50. If you are comfortable with pawn shops, some I have seen charge $20 regardless. We need someone in Memphis who charges TGO members $10!!!!!!!! (Plus TICS, of course.)

You can call the Nashville PD, give them the serial number and they will do a check over the phone. I used to have the number in my cell. It takes about 5 minutes. For selling or buying I just make sure the buyer or seller has a TN ID of some sort. I don't keep a BOS mostly because I would just lose it anyway. As others have said, there is no requirement to do anything.