Recommend a suppressor for a P22?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got in my liberty TL and demo'd it. waiting 2 months now to pickup but i shot it next to my dealers AAC prodigy. supposedly there is a slight difference but i dont think you can hear a few DB's really indoor anyways. mine is on a p22 also. with the shorter 3" barrel high velocity (cheap bulk) ammo was subsonic and quiet. on his ruger w 5" barrel some high velocity had the supersonic crack and was loud as crap. but others didnt. either way get take apart and any of the top ones an you'll be happy. nfatalk.org has some supposedly unbiased reviews an other good info, although they can get out of hand sometimes on there! good luck.

also since your in bells if you wanna go by great outdoor store in jackson an look the kodiak TL and his prodigy (and could prolly try both) pm me an we could work it out i bet. but once you try one theres no turning back!

bonzii34 [8] charter.net

Edited by bonzii34
more info
Guest kickstand

Do not buy a sealed can, get one that disassembles for cleaning. I would recommend the AAC Prodigy, but there are cheaper cans out there by other good manufacturers that are almost as quiet. If you're looking to really dive into the world of silencers, check out silencerresearch.com, and pay for the premium membership. Major Malfunction is diving into testing as well, but I bet it will be some time before he has his database up.

Edited by kickstand

I was motivated to buy a suppressor. I have a Tac-sol Trail-Lite threaded barrel on a Buckmark, and a 10/22 with a threaded barrel. The paperwork and background check didn't bother me at all, I'm used to that. I did my homework, got a premium membership at silencerresearch.com, and decided between a few mid-to-upper range rimfire suppressors, my final choice would be based on availability which I understand can be an issue. I even went and got the passport photos and was ready to get started, cash in hand. The frustration started when I started dealing with a few local Class 3 dealers. They have locally-manufactured suppressors in stock and seemed very helpful with general questions, but after multiple attempts over several weeks, I cannot get an answer on price/availability of more premium models, such as the top performers at silencerresearch.com. After multiple inquiries with promises to get the info, I'm starting to reconsider whether it is worth the hassle. I figured the frustration with acquiring a suppressor would be NFA-related instead of retail issues. I suppose these are niche market items and perhaps not the most profitable?

Uhh yeah i saw the invoice on my liberty tl, i'm in business too and at those low markups we couldnlt operate and handle all the extra headache of atf paperwork. I know gunshops always say we dont make crap on "this item" but damn!

Btw i can tell you kodiak keeps theirs ready to ship so availability is no problem, and they will sell to a dealer without any big setup requirements as this was my dealers first purchase from them. Decide what you want and call manufacturer to see about availability and dealer requirements yourself. Then go in and tell your dealer you are ready to buy and here's what you want. If they are still not cooperating, leave!

Thanks for the info, guys.

Bonzii once your paperwork comes through, I'd like to get a chance to see it in action on your P22 if you're willing.

It'll most likely be fall before I sock away enough funds to cover the suppressor and NFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are differences in how a suppressor performs and as such a good rifle suppressor may not be the best for a pistol and vice versa.

These are the two top ones when fired on a P22.

Model: AAC Aviator

Material: Aluminum

Take Apart: No

Suppressed: 115.9

Model: AAC Element

Material: Stainless Steel

Take Apart: Yes

Suppressed: 115.9

Neither of these on in the top 10 when used on a rifle.

I have spoken to a few suppressor makers about aluminum for suppressors and they indicated that aluminum cans can work harden and crack. They recommended a stainless can, even for a 22.

If you are going to be spending the money on a suppressor I would spend the $24 for a membership at silencer research. It can save you the heartache of buying a crappy suppressor.

Hope this helps.

Dolomite

Thanks for the info, guys.

Bonzii once your paperwork comes through, I'd like to get a chance to see it in action on your P22 if you're willing.

It'll most likely be fall before I sock away enough funds to cover the suppressor and NFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have my paperwork back in a couple weeks. If you ever get down to Memphis, let me know.

If you are going to be spending the money on a suppressor I would spend the $24 for a membership at silencer research. It can save you the heartache of buying a crappy suppressor.

Hope this helps.

Dolomite

Good advice. The current rate for the membership at silencerresearch.com is $30.

Guest m14man

I have a element it's hard for me to believe it's not in the top ten in rifles,it also will shoot 17 hmr and 22 mag. It's great. Check out the aac prodigy to I'm at the silencer shoot in Memphis right no it's going on tomorrow to it's for charity and you can go and check out all kinds of suppressors.

I have a element it's hard for me to believe it's not in the top ten in rifles,it also will shoot 17 hmr and 22 mag. It's great. Check out the aac prodigy to I'm at the silencer shoot in Memphis right no it's going on tomorrow to it's for charity and you can go and check out all kinds of suppressors.

The AAC Element is actually 25th down from the top when attached to a rifle but number 2 on a pistol. The db reading is 118.5 on a rifle and 115.9 on a pistol.

I suspect the bullet may be supersonic and that is the reason for the additional noise.

Dolomite

Guest kickstand

That's what I was thinking. CCI standard stays sub out of my ~17" semi auto, and honestly I can't tell a difference between the rifle and the p22 with my ears (with an AAC Aviator).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an older Gemtech Outback that I am having upgraded. Gemtech has excellent customer service and is known for the excellence of their products. The main reason I went with the Outback originally was because I knew that the company stood behind it and would take care of me no matter what happened.

I use it on my P22 with Remington Standard velocity target ammo. From the P22 barrel, that ammo is subsonic, very accurate and consistent, reliable, and less expensive than the 'subsonic' ammo.

Guest Larry

I have a John Ciener 10-22 with a internagal supressor and about all you hear is the hammer fall, its very ammo sensative as to noise reduction, Eley 10x if you can afford it it great, really any good standard vel works very well, for fun I shot some CB loads in it, is was so quiet that I could not believe it, also locking the bolt shut really helped to.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been making my own for several years now .i ran into a mfg. in knoxville that makes a very good looking suppresor for a more than fair price so i ordered 3 i will let everyone know how good they are.the way these are built looks second to none i have i have several wish i could recall the name of this place but i am getting old

Guest TnValleyBulletman
wish i could recall the name of this place but i am getting old

David, that is quite understandable for a man of your years. The name of this place is Tennessee Gun Owners Forum. You will be OK in a bit. Things like this often happen with the elderly:)