Have an itch for a .22WMR

kieefer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One guy used a .22 mag revolver to kill gators he caught. He could have used a 9mm for the same price and gotten better results.

Better results? Maybe he wanted to get the job done with the smallest hole possible, especially if he planned to sell the head/hide. Besides, you said the .22 Mag killed the gator. Dead is dead and provided that the .22WMR killed them I don't see how a 9mm could kill them any deader.

That said, if gators were among the likely threats I might come up against when messing in the garden, etc. then my yard/woods gun would quickly be changed from my Heritage with the .22WMR cylinder to my Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. When dealing with critters that are both big enough and mean enough to eat me, ammo cost would be way down on my list of concerns.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I just want to confirm something with the collective.

.22WMR in a revolver will also shoot long rifles and shorts, correct?

Still got that itch, :D

You "can" and I "have", but you shouldn't.

.22lr/short case bulges. Can rupture. You could put yer eye out, kid.

Revos that shoot both, like Ruger Single Six, Heritage, whatever, come with two cylinders.

Actually, probability of harming gun is probably zero, and of hurting yourself is also very low, but .22lr and .22 mag are different sized cases and rims, ya know. Speed and accuracy will vary all over the place.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Actually, probability of harming gun is probably zero, and of hurting yourself is also very low, but .22lr and .22 mag are different sized cases and rims, ya know. Speed and accuracy will vary all over the place.

- OS

I have researched it a lot and have developed the same opinion.

Guest tbone

This is a very timely thread for me. I was debating a S&W 351 PD vs. the Taurus 941. Yeah, I understand the who discussion about .22 mag not being the best out of a snubbie. But, I have been nuts over the S&W since holding one at Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago. I just can't believe how light that thing is. Thanks to all for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided the WMR in a revolver wasn't really a good choice for me and the prices I found were as much as a .38, so why not just get another snubnose .38?

Nah.

A while back I had another itch for a Beretta Bobcat and found a used one today and bought it.

"LuvmyBeretta" will be happy to hear that I am now a Beretta owner. ;)

Thanks for your input :cool: