AAC silencer shoot in Memphis

Guest tlawson1911

Guest tlawson1911

First off it wasn't in Memphis, it was outside of West Memphis, Arkansas! If you have never been there save yourself the trouble. It was posted on the site in small print. The TG1 facility is an awesome training facility for people who do tactical type things for a living but naturally that wasn't open for the shoot. There were only a handful of vendors there and the range cadre was a local marine reserve unit who knew basically nothing of class 2 or class 3 weapons. I am not bashing them but one would expect experienced RO's for this type of thing. I found myself teaching them more about the weapons we brought than I had time to shoot them. The turn out was bad to say the least, about 700 I think. The range designated for the shoot was tiny. Overall it was a waste of a trip. I was told it was to be a Knob Creek with cans. Well i was lied to. Next year if they even put it on dont travel more than an hour or so to see it. If you do than you cant say I didnt warn you.

Edited by Daniel
edited for clarity.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the_accuser

I had a feeling it wouldn't be the same as year's past where the venue was small, casual and fun. A band, motorcross demo and a 3 gun competition just doesn't seem to fit the theme. Glad I wasn't able to go...I would have just been mad.

Just as a side note.. I believe at least two of those Marines post on this board or did. I think chance has vacated to the TNZR site but still.

Chance was one of the RO's and he would definitely take offense to your comment if it was directed at him. Chance is very knowledgeable on items covered under NFA. He has several and drools over more.

Daniel, Chance still posts over here, just not as often as he used to. Most of the TNZR folk have dual citizenship. The only ones that I know that abandoned TGO for good are the ones that banned.

Guest m14man

i was there it wasnt that bad and some of the ro were volunteers who had a nra cert and probably dont do all that much nfa stuff, i volunteered and the 100 degree heat was not good for the turn out and aac was not that happy with t1g because of some issues like they had another class going when this has been scheduled for a year. you could shoot at more than the main range and that range was actually designed to be shot from the buildings that were set up at the top of the hill. Yes the venders were not as big as knob creek but most were interesting like ,knights armament,hk,glock,remington defense,dpms,leupold,lwrc,nighthawk,aimpoint. all of these venders let you shoot there guns for free. you could also shoot your own guns,plus it was all for charity. 100 percent went to charity i dont believe knob creek does that.all in all it was fun i wouldnt fly across the country for it but its was fun. also had a good conversation with an aimpoint engineer, and a night hawk designer. pretty cool

Guest m14man

oh yeah mike mers in the argyle sweeter vest shooting an hk416 pdw was pretty funny,aac is a bunch of good guys,you could have even sang karaoke with them at a local place.

Guest Halfpint
First off it wasn't in Memphis, it was outside of West Memphis, Arkansas! If you have never been there save yourself the trouble. It was posted on the site in small print.
This doesn't much matter in the grand scheme of things... I was one of the (to paraphrase yourself) NFA-ignorant RO's and I spoke at length with John, the gentleman with AAC who organized the shoot, about this point -- they said Memphis because pretty much nobody NOT from the area knows the difference, so it was done to give a general geographic location.
The TG1 facility is an awesome training facility for people who do tactical type things for a living but naturally that wasn't open for the shoot.
The shoot wasn't intended to use the tactical side of the house. It was meant solely as a select-fire/suppressor demo for the general public, most of whom ARE ignorant when it comes to select-fire weapons and suppressors.
There were only a handful of vendors there and the range cadre was a local marine reserve unit who knew basically nothing of class 2 or class 3 weapons. I am not bashing them but one would expect experienced RO's for this type of thing. I found myself teaching them more about the weapons we brought than I had time to shoot them.
The vendors were there Saturday and some reportedly did not return Sunday due to the heat and admittedly poor turn-out. As for the second half of that statement, I am one of those Marines -- in point of fact, I'm Chance that Daniel was talking about. Short guy, high-and-tight, sleeves rolled to shoulders, with a holstered USP. Call me out on whatever you'd like, I've got no problem either admitting I don't know something, or proving that I do. As far as the other Marines, not all of them are knowledgeable about civilian weapons or suppressors, but I'd say their knowledge of the M-249 and AR-15 family of weapons is pretty solid, considering all but two of the young men there besides myself have multiple deployments under their belts. Since you pointed out that you brought weapons, what did you bring? Vendor, private shooter, brought gear from your store inventory? Pretty much everything there that was based on military weapons, any of us would have no problem handling. I run Classic Arms in Cordova TN (outside Memphis, across the river from West Memphis, as you pointed out) so I try to keep on top of what's new and interesting, though it was my first time putting rounds through an MP7A1 or the RGP.
The turn out was bad to say the least, about 700 I think. The range designated for the shoot was tiny. Overall it was a waste of a trip. I was told it was to be a Knob Creek with cans. Well i was lied to. Next year if they even put it on dont travel more than an hour or so to see it. If you do than you cant say I didnt warn you.
Did you go both days? Just Sunday? A number of shooters and vendors said the Sunday turnout was lower because of the heat Saturday -- in fact, I'm willing to bet that the heat played a large part in the turnout. As for the range used, the firing line was 50 yards wide and could have had 10 shooters on-line at a time with no problems. Most of the people looking to shoot the weapons being demo'd were more interested in putting a lot of rounds downrange very quickly and very quietly than in shooting more than 100 yards or caring about exactly WHAT it was they had for a target. Not really sure who told you it'd be Knob Creek with cans, but I'd put money on the fact that it wasn't any of the T1G or AAC staff -- it was intended as a demo day and to educate the general public, and it succeeded in those two goals if nothing else.

Thanks for your opinion, however negative -- more importantly, thanks for pretty much pointing out that you won't be coming back.

I had a great time both days, even with the low vendor turnout on Sunday. Only downer was when they went range cold due to a fire on the opposite side of the berm. No big deal.

Vendors were awesome, one even talked me into a Maxpedition bag AND gave me a hell of a deal. The HK guys were cool, they even went out of their way to contact my dept. as to keep us using their line of pistols.

Good on you and all the other volunteers Chance.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk