AK-47 info?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to AK 47 / 74 Rifles to get a general idea of prices. Also check out The AK Forum for all the information and opinions you could ever want on a AK. Prices range from $450ish to $1500 or more depending on whether you want a rack grade romanian beater or a custom built death machine. Century guns and Maadi(Egyptian) variants are generally just as reliable as more expensive guns but fit and finish can be crap. Always check alignment of the front sight block and the gas block when looking at the cheaper rifles. Most will probably suggest you get a Saiga rifle and convert it to the AK configuration. I believe there is a sticky for that at the top of this page. I am a big fan of the Chinese made Norinco MAK 90's about $500 for the rifle and another $100 for a nice stock set and you are good to go. Here is a link to one(not my auction) Norinco MAK-90 Sporter 7.62x39 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com The AK is not a sub MOA gun like the AR it is sub Minute of Man. Sonny Puzikas says, "if the AR is the prom queen, the AK is a biker chick" I love that analogy......so true!

P.S. Also check out Warrior Talk Forums lots of great info on the AK in their Kalashnikov section.

Ak-47.net has good info. . I have a preban Polytech AKS. . and have owned a Maadi ARM. . the only Maadi's that you need to stay away from are the MISR series. . the ARM's and RPK's are good to go. Having said that I agree with Urse. . a converted post ban Chinese import Norinco. . Polytech either one is 100% the best way to go. .

last1isforme just sold exactly what the Dr. ordered in the classifieds. . I wish I had of bought that just for hell of it. . those have the 1.6 mm receivers. . heavier barrels. .better triggers. . better internals than any of their european counter parts. . just like my Pre ban Poly.

Just racking the slide and feeling the difference between Euro single hook triggers and Chinese double hook triggers and you too will be hooked on chinese AK's

Edited by turkeydad
Guest no_masters

turkeydad is right, ive got a maadi and its great, the misr's are the junk ones because they're made by century. My norinco mak90 is outstanding also.

Stay away from Century and Maadi. If either of those are stamped on the receiver, step away.

It should be said that current Century's are being sub-contracted and are nothing like their in house guns of old.

That being said the best you can get is a converted Saiga. Whether you do it yourself or get a good Redjacket or similar you will be well ahead of anything else out on the market.

you might want to check into the vz 58 rifles .they shoot the same round but are better made with a milled reciever and do not weigh as much as the stamped ak's. you can still get them for around $379,caught mine on sale for $319

58_002.jpg

Edited by dou44
you might want to check into the vz 58 rifles .they shoot the same round but are better made with a milled reciever and do not weigh as much as the stamped ak's

Those are awesome. The only negative is that they are not AK compatible. Mags and parts are not interchangeable.

Edited by Smith
What's the story with a wasr. There's one down the road here for $525. What would anyone recommend for under $600 and best quality.

While not being an expert I know some of the WASR's run fine while others are junk. I don't recall at this very moment but there's a certain number WASR you can get that's either good or junk, lol. Never bothered to learn the number because there are far too many others to be had.

You can get into a good MAK-90 for under $600 you just have to be willing to sit and wait.

And just like Smith was saying the vz58 is awesome unfortunately everything on it is proprietary.

Guest 6.8 AR

As far as I'm concerned, cheap is good. I guess

you guys have shot all of those high end guns,

but I have never picked up one that isn't

reliable. One of the most utilitarian guns

ever built. I only own an AMD 65 and a

Zatava PAP, but I have shot a few others,

none high end, but all were reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the story with a wasr. There's one down the road here for $525. What would anyone recommend for under $600 and best quality.

WASR's aren't "bad" in and of themselves. After all an AK is an AK no matter where it comes from. Meaning it should run and shoot anything you feed it. However, WASR's tend to not have the best finish or wood parts, but that is easily fixed. When people talk about a bad AK, they are generally referring to a canted front sight, gas block, or the finish being cheap. In the past Century did not do a very good job of putting those items on straight when they did it in house. Century is now subbing out their AK assembly and the product is much better. The best way to fix a "bad" AK is with a mallet and spray paint.

Guest GunTroll

Whats the general consensus on Zastava products imported by Century? I've got a M70AB2 and have never had a problem with mine. It eats anything I put in it and actually , and I know it sounds funny, will shoot a nice little clover at 50 yards with a Aimpoint attached. I'll admit I'm not all versed in AK hierarchy. Guess I'm in the camp of if it works it works. A fancy AK sounds...funny.

Guest no_masters

wasr's are ok. Not my first choice. You can find a more quality variant for between 500-600. You will just have to wait. 525 is too high a wasr imo. Try gunbroker or even atlanticfirarms they both have a good selection.

WASR's aren't "bad" in and of themselves. After all an AK is an AK no matter where it comes from. Meaning it should run and shoot anything you feed it. However, WASR's tend to not have the best finish or wood parts, but that is easily fixed. When people talk about a bad AK, they are generally referring to a canted front sight, gas block, or the finish being cheap. In the past Century did not do a very good job of putting those items on straight when they did it in house. Century is now subbing out their AK assembly and the product is much better. The best way to fix a "bad" AK is with a mallet and spray paint.

+1

Check out: AK Pattern Rifles

Like most things you get what you pay for, if you are looking for a beater AK that is reliable, reasonably accurate and you dont mind throwing it in the trunk for the imminent zombie attack then dont buy a $1k gun. If you want a reliable weapon to defend you and yours then spend as much as you can afford mount a red dot sight on it and get some training so you know how to use it.

Since you mentioned it...AK47 aren't the most accurate things in the world..SKS's shoot much better. All AK has going for it is how it looks and a ton of bad press. If you're a tiny bit handy you can make your own. YouTube bending an AK flat. Not only does it look like fun but it's cheaper and you can build a good one from parts.

This is my WASR.....I have about $750 in it total including the Ultimak gas tube, Magpul butt stock, Voltor stock tube,sling, the Burris optic and the American Defense mount for the Burris....it goes bang everytime and seems to hit the target at 100yrds.....fits n feels perfect for me. Sometimes you just gotta do what suites you and your style.....

Family002-1-1.jpg

Since you mentioned it...AK47 aren't the most accurate things in the world..SKS's shoot much better. All AK has going for it is how it looks and a ton of bad press. If you're a tiny bit handy you can make your own. YouTube bending an AK flat. Not only does it look like fun but it's cheaper and you can build a good one from parts.

Eh, the accuracy claims are less accurate than the rifle.;) It is as accurate as near any semi-auto 30/30 out there. It's inaccuracy claims are wildly exaggerated or compared apples to oranges. The ballistics of the round itself is not a direct comparison to say 5.56. However, the power of the 5.56 is not a direct comparison to the x39. There is also very little match grade ammo for the x39 like there is for 5.56. Using Wolf ammo, the accuracy between a x39 and 5.56 are not as far apart as some like to believe.

As far as what it has going for it, is far more than looks and bad press. It is an extremely reliable, useful weapon that is more battle worthy in more environments than just about any other weapon used today. Not to mention the round is more along the lines of the 30/30, which is considered to be one of the most utilitarian rounds out there behind the 30-06, .270, and .308. Long range sniper .. no. Everything else ...yep:D

As far as building one, you will have to build 4 or 5 to break even. That is unless you already have all the jigs, presses, welding equipment, etc. It's not plug and play like an AR

Guest robinsonfam1

ive shot TGI hungarian AK's. love em! VERY accurate too! TGI stands behind them too. plus theyre in knoxville!

ive also run the bulgy's tantals, and a couple other century guns. i do like the bulgarian, not a huge fan of folders personally but i do like the Hungary version from TGI.

messed with some WASR 10 century guns at dunhams a few days ago. AWEFUL! one we couldnt get mag in or out, one we couldnt get bolt to open fully, another we couldnt get bolt to fully close. doesnt help when the guy working the counter knew very little or less and he said he was the one who assembled them for display! lol. they were $449 sale priced. Kings Firearms in columbia has a MAK-90. some SKS too.

Eh, the accuracy claims are less accurate than the rifle.:death: It is as accurate as near any semi-auto 30/30 out there. It's inaccuracy claims are wildly exaggerated or compared apples to oranges. The ballistics of the round itself is not a direct comparison to say 5.56. However, the power of the 5.56 is not a direct comparison to the x39. There is also very little match grade ammo for the x39 like there is for 5.56. Using Wolf ammo, the accuracy between a x39 and 5.56 are not as far apart as some like to believe.

As far as what it has going for it, is far more than looks and bad press. It is an extremely reliable, useful weapon that is more battle worthy in more environments than just about any other weapon used today. Not to mention the round is more along the lines of the 30/30, which is considered to be one of the most utilitarian rounds out there behind the 30-06, .270, and .308. Long range sniper .. no. Everything else ...yep:D

As far as building one, you will have to build 4 or 5 to break even. That is unless you already have all the jigs, presses, welding equipment, etc. It's not plug and play like an AR

What he said.