After Altercation, Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pfries
A couple of civil rights lawsuits and the policy will be brought in line with the law.

Is that a threat? :stare: Watch it the Philadelphia district attorney's office will charge you with disorderly conduct. :rolleyes:

Wow I hope everything I have read and listened to is fairly in line with the facts. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Fiorino may have gotten a touch emotional at one point in the recording but I don't think the charges will stick.<o:p></o:p>

It floors me that the "local authorities are warning gun owners that they will be "inconvenienced" if they carry unconcealed handguns in the city.” When they state that it is legal in the city???<o:p></o:p>

Edited by pfries

<----must remember to check emotions at the door.

It is so much easier to write these things 100 times with copy and paste when when we had to do it on the chalkboard.

I mean what is next if that is allowed, what is next, since having a gun on our person is illegal in TN with out a permit, should they be able to make us lay on the ground until they are done running our permit. Remember as they told kwik standing there in Nashville just having a permit does not prove it is valid until they call it in and check it.

Edited by vontar

If you want to make a point you comply and then sue. You don’t refuse to comply, get arrested, and then sue.

If Philadelphia city officials don’t want people to allow open carry they need to either ban it by city ordinance, or go to the state legislature and ask them to change the law.

They've banned it by city ordiance, and the courts have ruled state law is the law of the land... more than once... they're trying to disregard the court rulings.

If you want to make a point you comply and then sue. You don’t refuse to comply, get arrested, and then sue.

If Philadelphia city officials don’t want people to allow open carry they need to either ban it by city ordinance, or go to the state legislature and ask them to change the law.

They've banned it by city ordiance, and the courts have ruled state law is the law of the land... more than once... they're trying to disregard the court rulings.

What court rulings are you talking about JC? Unlike the rest of the state, you need a permit to carry in the city; open or otherwise. Are you saying that some state court has ruled that violates state law?

We need both sides of this issue to respect each other.

There is no need for a Police Officer to point a gun at you and tell you to get on the ground simply because you are open carrying a gun. However, each individual case could be different based on the circumstances.

The Police Commissioner has instructed his Officers that unless they know the person is okay to carry, that they stop them and check them out. This makes sense. As he explains we live in a time of people walking into stores and schools and killing innocent people. If this bothers you; don’t open carry.

To require that a Police Officer give a person open carrying a gun some kind of immunity from being stopped is ridiculous. It will never happen.

I don’t open carry for tactical and personal reasons, but if I did I like to think I could survive a stop without being placed prone out on the ground. If I’m riding my Harley in a high crime area there is a better chance of me ending up on the ground.

This issue always seems to boil down to a rights argument. Therefore I think it is important that Police Chiefs and Legislators quit dancing around the 2nd amendment issue and address the law as it is. Neither Pennsylvania nor Tennessee recognize the right to bear arms as an individual right. We may not agree with that, but this isn’t about beliefs it’s about what you can expect to happen during an encounter with Police. If you believe an HCP gives you some special right; you are headed for problems.

Four states recognize the 2nd amendment as a right; Tennessee is not one of them. If you want to be able to make that argument, you need to get that changed first.

Two azzholes met on that street in Philly. One that had every intent of non-compliance and causing an issue, and one that obviously had no respect for the citizens of Philly. We had the same situation happen here only the cops did not over react and the HCP holder’s license was revoked.

Listen to the interviews of Police Chief Charles Ramsey and Mark Florino on Michael Smerconish’s talk radio show. (There are several on YouTube)

BTW…. If you listen to those interviews you will notice that Florino states he had no agenda and was not trying to heighten anyone’s awareness about firearms; he simply liked open carry better.

It's a different world up there. Here if you open carry you may get my attention and I might ask for your permit to ensure it's valid. Typically I already have too much crap going on to check every open carry person. I've only run into one person who's permit wasn't valid and he wasn't even open carrying. OC isn't close to top of my list to worry about.

Guest boatme99

Is this any different than Tn. We have a law stating park carry is legal yet each town can ban at their discretion. I know you will jump and say "that's the way it was voted in", but how can it be legal? The way they they passed the law was just a sop to both sides of the issue. No politician was willing to to say "Yes, I believe we have the right.". Instead they all said "How can I vote on this and still look good to both sides so that I'll get reelected.". It's no better than Philly.