I have a tough decision to make regarding buying a new gun.

Guest NashvegasMatt

which one? where can i buy one? and how much? This is really what I'm shooting for here... I need opinions, and with those opinions I need why people feel that way.

Dan Wesson Heritage at Bud's for $1126, shipped. The fit and finish of a DW is top notch. My CBOB is very accurate and a pure pleasure to shoot.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
I went to the franklin shop,and quite a collection they have, but couldn't swallow the prices or lack of customer service. I, like everyone else, like a great selection.

I love the outpost as much as the next guy, but to drive all the way out there which is almost 2 hrs for me, and possibly come up empty handed would get expensive in gas. I'd drive to G&L in green briar, I've heard they sometimes have a gem or two.

Interesting, I bought my first Kimber at Franklin Gun Shop (it was in stock). Same price as I was quoted via phone at G&L (not in stock) and almost $125 cheaper that Outpost Armory.

I was surprised that Outpost seemed to have a "make me an offer" policy. I asked for a price, they asked what I was willing to give. Again, I asked for a price–I mean, this is a retail store–and they came back with essentially msrp, which was $200 higher than anybody else I had tried (except Uselton, which was $300 higher…). I finally low-balled them ($50 less than Franklin's price) and they came back and simply said, no. No counter-offer, just no.

Franklin staff were very pleasant to deal with, just as they have been with the other six to eight guns I and my family have bought from them through the years… The gun was in stock and sold with a smile and a thank you.

Guest The Highlander

I liked the S&W I shot (not my gun), I have two older Kimbers that have never burped, although according to posts the quality has slipped. For what it is worth, the Ruger SR1911 looks pretty good, I held one but haven't shot it, and it is also a 5" so probably don't want it.

My two best suggestions are this: if you are dead-set on a .45 1911, look hard at the STI and Springfield's. I like both. If you are willing to go 9mm, and still want a smaller 1911 that is mid-range, look at the Springfield EMP in either 9 or .40. Mine is the 9mm and I absolutely love it. It is my favorite 1911, except for a Kimber Target .22 model. I carry it and it just disappears. Comes with great night sights, a good trigger, and incredible feel. Mine has the optional G10 grips, and they are great.

Not near or I'd be happy to let you shoot mine.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Dan Wesson Heritage at Bud's for $1126, shipped. The fit and finish of a DW is top notch. My CBOB is very accurate and a pure pleasure to shoot.

I've never actually held a DW. I love the looks, but for me, that's not the end all. With buds, what other fees are involved. I think D&T does a TGO FFL deal, but what does bud's charge? The other thing is that most of the 1911's that I've seen on there are out of stock....like most of them.

After everyone's comments, I'm thinking I may look into a full size model. I'm just going to leave my options open and see what jumps out at me.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Interesting, I bought my first Kimber at Franklin Gun Shop (it was in stock). Same price as I was quoted via phone at G&L (not in stock) and almost $125 cheaper that Outpost Armory.

I was surprised that Outpost seemed to have a "make me an offer" policy. I asked for a price, they asked what I was willing to give. Again, I asked for a price–I mean, this is a retail store–and they came back with essentially msrp, which was $200 higher than anybody else I had tried (except Uselton, which was $300 higher…). I finally low-balled them ($50 less than Franklin's price) and they came back and simply said, no. No counter-offer, just no.

Franklin staff were very pleasant to deal with, just as they have been with the other six to eight guns I and my family have bought from them through the years… The gun was in stock and sold with a smile and a thank you.

Believe me, I am not dogging on the franklin shop because of the customer service. There were a ton of people in there, and I may have just gone unnoticed. That's just how it goes sometimes. Honestly though. they had a Kimber ultra carry II for a little over $800. Seemed like a decent price. The guy I talked to said it was new, but I'm not buying that. New for $800? sounds a bit strange. The other 1911 that caught my eye was the Springfield loaded champion. This gun was marvelous to look at, felt great, but once again, it said new, but didn't look NEW. I don't know if their price tags are wrong, or the guns are dirty, but if I'm gonna buy a $1k gun and it's "new" It should look that way. Anyway. it was $989. The third gun that caught my eye was the springfield emp. At $950, I can't figure this one out. the loaded champion and the emp look identical other than it shoots a 9mm.

Guest rry0013

Sorry new guy here but where is Bud's?

Guest nicemac
Believe me, I am not dogging on the franklin shop because of the customer service. There were a ton of people in there, and I may have just gone unnoticed. That's just how it goes sometimes. Honestly though. they had a Kimber ultra carry II for a little over $800. Seemed like a decent price. The guy I talked to said it was new, but I'm not buying that. New for $800? sounds a bit strange. The other 1911 that caught my eye was the Springfield loaded champion. This gun was marvelous to look at, felt great, but once again, it said new, but didn't look NEW. I don't know if their price tags are wrong, or the guns are dirty, but if I'm gonna buy a $1k gun and it's "new" It should look that way. Anyway. it was $989. The third gun that caught my eye was the springfield emp. At $950, I can't figure this one out. the loaded champion and the emp look identical other than it shoots a 9mm.

They sell new and used guns - but the used guns are clearly marked with a different colored tag. They have a lot of guns in the cases that people handle all day. When you actually buy one, they get you a new one from the back room–new in a case. My new Stainless Steel Kimber Pro Carry II with night sights was $859 there just six months ago.

Guest nicemac
It's a shop in Kentucky. They do a ton of Internet sales. They ship to your local dealer (who does the paperwork and BG check for a fee that ranges from $30-$100). Some FFLs won't take shipments from them for various reasons.

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Probably because they make their prices look so bad!

Guest NashvegasMatt
Sorry new guy here but where is Bud's?

buds mainly does online sales. That's where 90% of their business comes from.

They sell new and used guns - but the used guns are clearly marked with a different colored tag. They have a lot of guns in the cases that people handle all day. When you actually buy one, they get you a new one from the back room–new in a case. My new Stainless Steel Kimber Pro Carry II with night sights was $859 there just six months ago.

I can tell you're a fan of the shop out there, but to the average customer, different colored tags mean nothing. As for the new one in the back deal, the guy I finally got to talk to didn't say that and led me to believe that the case gun wasn't the last, but would be the first to sell... sooo I don't know.

Guest NashvegasMatt

After some driving around today, looking at various 1911's I think I am going to settle on the Springfield loaded out in greenbriar. With the price under $1k, I can't go wrong. thanks for all the input gents, your opinions convinced me to just get a full sized gun instead of a shorty or a commander.