Guest nysos

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to totally derail this thread,.. but

So, you can't imagine actually running your weapon dry, moving to better cover/concealment, and not wanting to give your new position away? Reload on the move and if you just ran it dry they probably know your in the area...always upgrade cover/concealment..

You can't imagine shooting suppressed from a concealed position and not being able to transition safely? if there close enough to hear you chamber a round they are too close,..either let them pass and gain distance or shoot fast amigo your tactics suck distance favors the better marksman..

You can't imagine having to find and fight with a battlefield pick-up after running both your primary and secondary weapons dry? chances of it being a stealthy situation are getting slimmer again a tactical consideration not a mechanical one..

you have to look at the probability of these situations, and realize sometimes you need another solution. Sun Tzu is a good reference to this.

because they'll help folks like me survive longer by giving the zombies something to gnaw on... ;) Stay Hungry my friend...I have lunch with Mr. Murphy on a regular basis.

we aren't that diametrically opposed however I think we have a difference of opinion on how we would use our equipment Glad to meet ya and have a decent conversation...B)

I can't see myself ever needing a FA to work an AR,... but then again my AR has one if I am ever in need..Murphy pointed it out to me over lunch one day..;)

Personally I would rather hang back about 300-600 meters and use my '06 who needs quiet ?

BTW

The 7 Ps is a British Army Adage:that actually incorporates the 8th. P

• Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

back to the OP,... I would get the A3 upper if only for the shell deflector due to the fact that sometimes I do shoot southpaw and not all ammo exits the rifle either 90 degrees or forward of the bolt center line and I don't wish the possibility of a brass capped tooth

John

Not to totally derail this thread,.. but

So, you can't imagine actually running your weapon dry, moving to better cover/concealment, and not wanting to give your new position away? Reload on the move and if you just ran it dry they probably know your in the area...always upgrade cover/concealment..

You can't imagine shooting suppressed from a concealed position and not being able to transition safely? if there close enough to hear you chamber a round they are too close,..either let them pass and gain distance or shoot fast amigo your tactics suck distance favors the better marksman..

You can't imagine having to find and fight with a battlefield pick-up after running both your primary and secondary weapons dry? chances of it being a stealthy situation are getting slimmer again a tactical consideration not a mechanical one..

you have to look at the probability of these situations, and realize sometimes you need another solution. Sun Tzu is a good reference to this.

because they'll help folks like me survive longer by giving the zombies something to gnaw on... ;) Stay Hungry my friend...I have lunch with Mr. Murphy on a regular basis.

we aren't that diametrically opposed however I think we have a difference of opinion on how we would use our equipment Glad to meet ya and have a decent conversation...B)

I can't see myself ever needing a FA to work an AR,... but then again my AR has one if I am ever in need..Murphy pointed it out to me over lunch one day..;)

Personally I would rather hang back about 300-600 meters and use my '06 who needs quiet ?

BTW

The 7 Ps is a British Army Adage:that actually incorporates the 8th. P

• Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

back to the OP,... I would get the A3 upper if only for the shell deflector due to the fact that sometimes I do shoot southpaw and not all ammo exits the rifle either 90 degrees or forward of the bolt center line and I don't wish the possibility of a brass capped tooth

John

We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding one's ability to always control EVERY variable in a real-life SHTF event, but I'm glad we can.;)

And for the record, I've never HAD to use my FA either, but I do practice silent chambering just to add another tool to the toolbox.

Are we basing an argument purely on personal preference? Sorry, I don't follow. I'll take my burger with a side of fries, you may not want to.

ETA I didn't mean to **** up a thread because of something that I like to do. That wasn't very cool, and I'm sorry to OP.

Edited by Jon_L
easy a slick side has a bolt handle like a semi auto shotgun ( think Benelli ) thus no charging handle in the classic sense..

John

yes that correct i have a grizzly (L.A.R.) upper reciever with the right side handle Y/M heavy N.M. bolt help keep the action locked up a little longer. it has a screw in plug in the back that does 2 things, lets you easily remove the bolt and puts some pressure on the lower to kept them tight. i wanted a left side charger but because normally i always shoot this gun suppressed, the C.S. rep said i should not go with the leftly because i am right handed because the extra trapped gases would be coming right at me even worst than if i had a standard charging handle.

my other AR is just the oppsite, every thing light for faster action and lower recoil.

Guest nysos
Are we basing an argument purely on personal preference? Sorry, I don't follow. I'll take my burger with a side of fries, you may not want to.

ETA I didn't mean to **** up a thread because of something that I like to do. That wasn't very cool, and I'm sorry to OP.

Hell I don't care. I got the answers to my questions a long time ago and it helped my decision. Pricing is pretty much the same, I will probably never use it, but as it has been mentioned by myself and some others already. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The same reason I carry a handgun. I am actually glad a simple question has promoted such a discussion even if slightly derailed, it is all still revolving around the need (or not) for a forward assist, so let it continue!

yes that correct i have a grizzly (L.A.R.) upper reciever with the right side handle Y/M heavy N.M. bolt help keep the action locked up a little longer. it has a screw in plug in the back that does 2 things, lets you easily remove the bolt and puts some pressure on the lower to kept them tight. i wanted a left side charger but because normally i always shoot this gun suppressed, the C.S. rep said i should not go with the leftly because i am right handed because the extra trapped gases would be coming right at me even worst than if i had a standard charging handle.

my other AR is just the oppsite, every thing light for faster action and lower recoil.

Yep, My favorite upper.

300blklnt004.jpg

thanks!!!! alleycat. yeap that is mine! the side charger has been GREAT, very solid, the target is at 600 yards. i missed the 1st shot my friend spotting for me and i both agreed that the mirage was left to right i made a correction, then had some fun. i also shot it at 800 the elevation was good but shot left of target a few inches.

thanks again alleycat.

not tact cool but it is a shooter.

thanks!, yes they think a lot of them. i already had the side charger bolt, that i used on a mega reciever but hated it having the charning handle. so just needed the new reciecver. then had a some a got some help from the shop at work to turn down the handle to work in the slot of L.A.R. did not save any money the Y/M bolts was high $. but luckily it all works great together.

We just got in stock today the LAR Grizzly "Terminator" 22LR and LAR Grizzly Sidecharge 5.56 Uppers. We got some sample 22LR Terminator uppers in about 3 weeks back and liked them enough to order in some for retail sales. The side charge billet 5.56 uppers are very nice! I have a feeling one is going to be pulled into my personal collection for suppressed use :D

post-9729-132850577481_thumb.jpg

post-9729-13285057748_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoeBobOutfitters

I would personally own an AR without a shell deflector and dust cover. But for my purposes it is pretty much a necessity. I have also found the shell deflector quite handy as I shoot 90% of the time left handed. The forward assist I could live with or without, as I only use it after a load check, never to force a shell into battery. I think the OP wisely made his decision after taking advice, and weighing that input against his needs.

joe they look great! and as i said they are at there best suppressed.

warbird, if needed the handle will work as forward asst but i myself would not hammer it. grizzly does make them leftly only and Ambi, i have seen the ambi, did not care for it at all. also i think it is ASA makes a very nice one that the handle stays in place and not travel with bolt. i have shot with it before very nice, but on the left side with folding handle has a small open slot and did not want that on a suppressed gun.