Advice needed on Mossberg 500 mods

BigK

I have a Mossberg 500a with a 28" barrell, wood stock/forend, and standard magazine tube. Here's a pic...

IMG_0500-1.jpg

Now I want to push the limits a little and see how verstile I can make it (since I can't afford multiple shotguns right now). I'd like to make it more suitable for home defense and be able to use it for an upcoming IDPA shotgun side match (and hopefully more in the future), while avoiding any permanent mods that'd keep me from being able to put it back together as is for hunting.

Here's some of the add-ons/upgrades I've seen while surfing the Web. I have no idea what is most useful vs. what I can't live without. All I know for sure is that I can't afford to waste any time/money on anything that's only tacticool or just for looks. I have 1 week and a $200 budget to work with.

Any advice on any small part or as much knowledge as you're willing to share on these would be awesome:

1. an extended magazine tube (7+1)

1. Seems important, if it takes most of my budget, I guess the rest will have to wait.
    2. IIRC the retaining ring is only big enough for the takedown screw threads, not the whole tube.
    3. I'm guessing this means I need to buy an extended mag tube & a new barrell or a kit (like this).

[*]a shorter barrell

1. 18.5" - 20" seems like it would be best for HD, but is this too short for IDPA?
  2. Most short barrells have no choke. Are my shots gonna spread too much for IDPA?
  3. I could get the kit above solely for HD. If so, is the 28" barrel I have be too long for IDPA?

[*]different stock (mine's always felt too long for my arms)

1. Pistol grip only (like a Cruiser) look cool, but are they practical? For IDPA?
  2. A foldable stock with a pistol grip looks like it would work for both, thoughts?
  3. Collapsable stocks seem good too, but are they better than a folder for HD?

[*]Foregrip

1. Yes, this violates the "just for looks" rule, but if I get a stock (presumably black) I'd hate to keep the wood foregrip on the gun when I can replace it w/ at least a plain black for only $10 - $15.
  2. Is there any advantage of having a vertical foregrip for HD? For IDPA?
  3. Is there any advantage of having a chainsaw foregrip for HD? For IDPA

[*]Shell holders

1. Is there a big enough advantage to be worth it for HD? For IDPA?
  2. If so, would the strap on type be good enough for HD? For IDPA?
  3. I already have a shell bag for hunting, will it work for IDPA?

Guys, I know this is a LOT of questions. Believe it or not, I only included the ones I thought you wouldn't laugh at. Please don't feel obliged to answer all. Any input on any part of this puzzle will help a TON and be VERY much appreciated.

Edited by BigK
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My advise is to add 50 to that budget and get a used one that already fits your needs.

I'm unable to really answer the question about barrel size for gaming but I had no problems with my 18.5 in 3-gun without a choke.

I will go you one better I bought the cheapest Moss 500 I could find a old one without the vent rib and it had a poly choke on it $119.00 out the door I cut the barrel to 19 inches put a Knoxx recoil reducing 6 position sock and forearm on it $100.00 ATI heat shield with ghost ring sights on it $30.00 and ATI shell carrier $30.00 give or take a few dollars $279.00 minus what I sold the original stock for comes to about $230.00 if my memory is right

If you intend to keep this shotgun and make it multi-purpose than go simple, not complex. Have the stock cut down to fit you with a good recoil pad installed. Purchase a used or new 18" to 20" smooth bore slug barrel for your specific 500 model and swap barrels,either a good high viz bead sight or slug sights will do fine. Remove the shotgun plug from your shotgun it it's still installed and don't worry about an extended mag tube with your current shotgun. Replace the plastic tang safety with an all metal one from Brownells for reliability reasons. Install sling swivels and get a good tactical sling along with a stock shell cuff for extra rounds. Buy shotgun shells and shoot learn to properly shoot the shotgun.

...I'm unable to really answer the question about barrel size for gaming but I had no problems with my 18.5 in 3-gun without a choke.

This is what I was wondering about the most. I'm not sure how far the targets were when you shot 3-gun, but I think some at the match I'm going to are 25 yds out. I was worried about spread at that distance, but you say you had no problem with it, huh?

I will go you one better I bought the cheapest Moss 500 I could find a old one without the vent rib and it had a poly choke on it $119.00 out the door I cut the barrel to 19 inches put a Knoxx recoil reducing 6 position sock and forearm on it $100.00 ATI heat shield with ghost ring sights on it $30.00 and ATI shell carrier $30.00 give or take a few dollars $279.00 minus what I sold the original stock for comes to about $230.00 if my memory is right

That recoil reducing 6-position stock sounds like a good investment, but at that price I couldn't afford a shorter barrell. I won't cut mine down, so unless I keep the 28" barrell on it, I wouldn't have enough cash left for one. Maybe I don't need one as bad as I think I do, but like I said...I'm not sure.

I didn't think about a heat shield. Assuming the name means what it implies, I'm guessing it's an issue and I forgot to consider that.

fit the stock to you,... buy a 20 " or another vent rib and cut to 22" and pattern it ... then decide if you need a choke system..

it looks like your barrel is ported which tosses you in with the unlimited guys (USPSA) or not eligible for IDPA,..not sure on the rules for IDPA so the other barrel cut to 22" will give you close to the same sighting plane,.. I am also a fan of mid rib beads so I see a figure 8 when I shoot and my guns are fit that way.

heat shield is if you intend to roll the shotgun over to reload it ,.. like the Carlock shuffle

if you plan on reloading while the shotgun is shouldered or held down and sideways then you won't need a heat shield..or you can use mechanics gloves..

hint on reloading the 500 if you use 2 3/4" shells you can get pretty quick loading 2 at a time....

It is kind of hard to explain in text and I am terrible with videos etc. but you roll the shotgun over and with 2 rounds in your off hand, brass facing you you drop the first one in then chase it with the second pushing with your thumb,.. be careful as the receiver sides can have a bit of an edge to them.. I have rounded mine a bit and black sharpied to hide the aluminum where I filed & sanded to break the edges once you get the rhythm down it goes quickly

good luck and enjoy your shooting !

John

Edited by LngRngShtr

My first choice would be to find a used one and leave the current hunting gun alone. The problem is most used HD's go much higher than field guns and it will probably be more than you want to pay for used unless you luck out. You probably can buy new for not much more.

Second choice would be to go for a shorter barrel, shorten the buttstock and add the recoil pad since it sounds like you need that done anyway. Forget the pistol grip, it's only good for TV. You still have to aim the thing and you can't do that with a pistol grip.

If you intend to keep this shotgun and make it multi-purpose than go simple, not complex. Have the stock cut down to fit you with a good recoil pad installed. Purchase a used or new 18" to 20" smooth bore slug barrel for your specific 500 model and swap barrels,either a good high viz bead sight or slug sights will do fine. Remove the shotgun plug from your shotgun it it's still installed and don't worry about an extended mag tube with your current shotgun. Replace the plastic tang safety with an all metal one from Brownells for reliability reasons. Install sling swivels and get a good tactical sling along with a stock shell cuff for extra rounds. Buy shotgun shells and shoot learn to properly shoot the shotgun.

TNWNGR, I like the way you think. Cutting down the stock to apply a good recoil pad sounds like it'd be cheaper than a new stock. That saves me more money to go toward more or higher quality in the other stuff.

I already have a fiber optic front sight that I never got around to installing. I also already removed the plug, but was advised by some other IDPA guys that more rounds in the tube would be a plus.

Hey Randy, forgot to ask. How did the ATI heat shield installation go for you. I've heard nothing but nightmares. Is it true that it comes in flat and you have to bend it around the barrell?

Guest Broomhead

I would recommend upgrades in this order:

Barrel, like mentioned above, 18"-20" is ideal for an HD/non-hunting shotgun. Try and find a used one at a gun show or other source, but don't dwell on the length, they are pretty easy to chop and square up. You shouldn't need a choke, cylinder bore should be fine for shots/hits out to 25yrds. I have rifle sights on my 870 (owned a 500A previously), but I wish it had a ghost ring setup. I wouldn't dwell on sight options either, a standard front bead will be just fine.

Stock, either chop yours and add a recoil pad, put on a youth stock with recoil pad, or pick up an adjustable AR style stock. I would recommend the adjustable one due to the fact that it will be easier to fit it to a variety of users. It can also be adjusted to the minimum length for best compactness and maneuverability (ideal for HD). Unless you are recoil sensitive, bad shoulder/neck, etc, then don't worry about the recoil-reducing stocks, too expensive and not necessary. You may be able to pick up a combo package with both the adjustable stock and matching 'tactical' forearm. I would suggest staying away from vertical fore grips, they are somewhat unruly; your muscle memory is already conditioned to a standard forearm. Stay away from folding stocks, yes they are cool looking, but if the OEM stock feels too long then a folding stock will feel similar; using it in the folded/pistol grip only configuration is clumsy and unruly, you can only shoot from the hip or chest, if you try to aim you will risk cracking your cheek bone or getting a shiner.

Extended mag tubes are handy. The kit you linked would be a good choice, but you maybe able to hunt for a cheaper/used kit. The extended tube isn't necessary, though, just work on reloading shells and condition that muscle memory, remember slow-smooth=smooth-fast. A simple elastic butt stock shell holder, while not tactical or cool looking, is functional on a standard style butt stock, some adjustable stocks have plastic shell holders built on/in, or they are available as an aftermarket add-on to the stock. Another option would be to get a side-saddle shell holder that mounts to the side of the receiver by replacing the stock pins (nothing permanent to mount it), they come in 4 or 6 shell capacity, depending on your 500 model, you may need to modify the forearm a little if you get the 6 shell model. You could also go with a bandolier/shell-holder sling, or just a bandolier slung across your chest.

As far as a sling goes, don't go tactical/single point, they are complicated, clumsy, and unneeded. Get a good, adjustable sling, preferably a 1.25" one. I will be adding a black cotton USGI/M1 Garand style to mine as soon as I have a bit of extra cash. They are fully adjustable, and you can set it up to use as a Hasty or Hasty-Hasty configuration to help steady your shots.

Why is it that on a gun board/forum, when someone states they have a budget they need/want to stay within, and asks for recommendations on upgrades/modifications/choices/ideas, another member, usually more than one, will always tell the OP that they need to spend more money to get something they never mentioned, don't need, or can't afford?!? Seriously?!? They must be a helluva lot better gardener than I am, I couldn't get my Federally-Supplied and Mandated Money Tree, Cash Shrub, or Penny Weeds to produce enough for a harvest, or even grow for that matter. Must be all of the 100% natural and organic fertilizer/manure that is "magically" produced whenever they are around and open their mouth. If I have a little bit of extra cash to spend on a firearm upgrade, then I am damn lucky to have as much as I do. Their is no way in hell that I would be able to "spend some more and get this other thing" that I don't need/want anytime in the near-future, or moderately distant future for that matter. This is not directed at any one member of this or any other forum. It is simply a rant on a pattern that I have seen, and still witness much more frequently.

Big K, if you would like some help finding good/lower prices on upgrades, feel free to PM me.

The Ati heat shield is formed to fit around the barrel but is not a drop in fit I had to take some material off the forearm so it would slide properly and about the Knoxx stock there are cheaper models out there ATI also makes those.