Diamondback DB9 9mm

graycrait

I waited to shoot the DB9 until I had received 2 additional magazines from Diamondback. With 3 mags and a variety of 9mm ammo I went to the range.

I didn't get quite 20 rounds down the pipe before the trigger quit resetting if the trigger was pulled straight back. There is a trigger bar on this pistol that requires an elevated portion of the bar that sits up towards the rear of the frame be pushed down to reset the trigger when the slide moves to the rear. Unless you put extreme pressure on the left side of the trigger while the slide actions the trigger will not reset under normal operation, this particular pistol requires that the trigger bar be canted. You can manually pull the slide back a bit and reset the trigger if you take your finger off the trigger but trigger reset won't happen while firing with the trigger to the rear although the gun is designed to operated that way. It is not a limp wristing issue.

The barrel ramp has a chip out of it also, a seemingly common problem that doesn't seem to interfere with function but is not a confidence builder.

Right now at best this is a single shot. I sent a message to Diamondback and am waiting for a response, preferrably a free mailer.

Now that I have fired the gun and examined it in detail I am thinking the fix will have to be something stupendous for me to keep this thing. I've been a fan of pocket pistols for some time. This one seems to still be in the R&D or BETA stage.

Craig in Clarksville

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal opinion only. After looking at the DB9 at D&T the other day, I was less than impressed. Didn't care for the feel of it at all, but the trigger wasn't too bad. Long but consistant throughout till it broke. That much I did like. Other than that, I still feel I'm searching for the best size/carry/caliber combination without success. But...I did like it better than the LC9.

I think I have 6 Glocks currently (a number that fluctuates from time to time). I also have 3 other JMB inspired all metal single stack 9mms, one S&W K Frame .38 and even a 1911, besides the 22s and one lonely shotgun. I also have on extended loan to me a couple Single Action Sig 220s in .45, one Sig 220 in .22 and one of those fancy Sig 226s in 9mm and it is also Single Action. I am lucky man, I get to shoot a lot of different handguns without having to buy them. However, I have been pocket pistol crazy for a couple of years and this Diamondback may have cured me after Kahrs, Keltec 9mms, other Keltecs, NAAs, etc. I think I just need to get an Airweight .38 for fall and winter and carry my never yet to fail Keltec .32s along with a G26 or G19.

You wouldn't be the first person to go with a J Frame Airweight for a pocket gun or a .32 ACP either. I've got to agree the .32 ACP pistol is what KelTec does best.

I took my LCP and Lc9 out today and ran them a bit. Sharpish recoil but not objectional and both function suprisingly well. This was the first time I ran them side by side and could better feel the differences in their trigger's. That smooth lighter weight trigger pull in the DB9 with it's different grip angle made it something I'd like to see mature into a proven product.

That is a shame. I had high hopes for the little DB9. It looked promising. I looked at one at my local gun shop a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be an ideal pocket gun, small, lightweight and in a substantial caliber. Maybe with a little time... It seems it took them a while to work the bugs out of their .380's

This is the third or fourth pistol I have been an unofficial 1st Gen "BETA" tester for. Jeez, you would think I would learn. I jumped on the PF9 when it first came out, got rid of it in a few weeks and then 18 months later got another one because I thought - maybe I made a mistake. I didn't and got rid of that one too. I got a Zastava M88 (kind of small Tokarev design) when they first hit the street, nice and slim, all steel but with a trigger only a babooshka could love no matter what I did to it. I got an ISSC M22 that had design and manufacturing issues, but those were corrected by the factory and it ran well afterwards. The early NAA Guardian in .32ACP was a lovely little piece of machinery sort of a Seecamp "lite." But that little booger was hard to hang onto when rapid firing one -handed left or right hand. Oh yeah, can't forget the 53oz Excel Accelerator .22Mag pistol. It was a beast and beastly to work on but I got it running like a sewing machine eventually. The list stretches on for some ways.

Funny thing is that I have owned no legitimate S&W Airweight .38s although I have worked on several for friends. I did have a little Taurus J-Frame ported titanium .357 that I used as a range gag. For the few weeks I had that one I loved to stoke it up with 158 grainers and hand it to some loud talking "pistolero" at the range. Not one person ever said, "That was fun, load it up again!"

I probably should settle on a Ruger LCP or a alloy J-frame .38. But for now the never yet to fail hardchrome KT.32s give me some comfort as "get off me" tools and the pair of these are paid for.

I suspect my little saga with Diamondback Firearms has just begun. I'll keep you posted.

Craig

Dunno how big a gun you accept for a pocket pistol but there are a lot of really small guns in bigger calibers now (380+). If you like that DAO stuff, you should be able to find one you like. If you dislike DAO, let me know, thats where I have focused my carry guns, I can tell you what I have tried. I am headed toward a colt new agent 9mm next, as an example of what I prefer, but its more funds than I have at this time.

Jonnin, I'd agree with you on the Colt New Agent in 9mm. I've had the opportunityto check out several and really like the look and feel of them. Haven't shot on of the 9's, but have shot the 45 version. It is pretty stout, but not unmanagable recoil; so thinking the 9 would be a good choice.

Have you looked at the Springfield EMP in 9? Might be a viable candidate. I haven't investigated enough to really make an informed decision between the two as yet. Just thinking.

Jonnin, I'd agree with you on the Colt New Agent in 9mm. I've had the opportunityto check out several and really like the look and feel of them. Haven't shot on of the 9's, but have shot the 45 version. It is pretty stout, but not unmanagable recoil; so thinking the 9 would be a good choice.Have you looked at the Springfield EMP in 9? Might be a viable candidate. I haven't investigated enough to really make an informed decision between the two as yet. Just thinking.
I have not, I will go see what I can see on that model. Thanks for mention of it.

--------edit

That didnt take long. Its bigger than the colt, not by much but by enough that I would pick the colt if I had them side by side, since the price is about the same (colt is actually cheaper for once). But they are very similar!

Edited by Jonnin

I didn't remember the size difference, but now that you mention it, I remember that I thought it was close enough for me. But hey, I'm not a very discriminating person when it comes to the size of guns...I want them all.

Seriously though, I didn't remember that, but like you, I was surprised that the Colt had a lower price. I had in mind getting one or the other recently, but an SP101 with crimson trace grips talked me out of it. Maybe later....