1911 talk, I'm new to them so introduce me...

ls3_kid

Guest Larry

dont forget STI I could not be more pleased over the lasy 11 yrs with mine.

I have Colt.Para.STI.Wilson.Swenson. Like the Swenson the best due to it was dad's STI next.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with the Springfield 1911 loaded a1 for my first 1911. I'm really happy with it. I ordered the gun online on guns america, when it came to me the front sight was extremely crooked, and like many 1911's, the feed ramp was extremely resistant with JHP's.

Springfield customer service paid for the shipping both ways, fixed the sight, polished about everything that could be polished, and I swear the trigger feels 10x better. Thing feels like a million bucks. As much as I am pleased with the pistol, Springfield's customer service is even more impressive. Just ask for Debbie.

just looked out of curiosity... you can get a new les baer for 1600 at one place I found online, though 99% of them were right at 2k. Surely you can find a gently used one for 1500 or less.

Basically, with that budget, you can skip over the middle grade, overpirced & mostly cosmetic guns and go directly to a fine gun. For that price, you can see what Kandros Custom Gunworks - Nashville's Premiere Custom Colt 1911 gunsmith can do for you as well -- your budget is borderline but high enough to get a custom build, I think. Can't hurt to talk about it -- soon as I get some spending money I plan to pay him a visit.

If it was me I would get an STI Trojan for the price, customer servise is 100%++++ very accurate, I have had mine for 11 yrs never anything wrong runs 100%, did break a slide stop but they had me one in 3 days no questions asked, that was on the 11th year. It will still shoot xring accuracy from a Ransom rest at 50 yds 10 shot groups with good ammo, feeds anything. I have several friends that got one when I did all are the same.

+100

The STI Trojan is the best $999 1911 available. An extra $300 will get you hard chrome, which is a stainless-color bullet-proof finish.

Guest tymekeeper

Although I own several others, my next 1911 purchase will be Ruger's new 1911. I've seen and handled one but not fired it. In my humble opinion, it is a much better pistol than their price suggests. Ruger products are excellent, and if there's a problem they'll recall it and make it right. In my experience their long term service is outstanding. Over the the years I've sent them a .45 single action, a Security Six, and two .22 Mark II's for service. Each time the problem was corrected, multiple parts were replaced, and shipped back to me, all at no cost. Hard to beat that!

Yes, it's a good idea to try several models, but I recommend you also try to sample a Ruger and then measure the others by it.

Good Luck, and enjoy the search!

I'm not a big kimber fan. I think the best 1911 out there for the $ are made by Chad Kandros and on sale at d&t arms. Just my opinion and I'm putting my $ where my mouth is, he's building my 1911.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

What I've decided is I'm going to either get a basic 1911 Colt or Springfield. Then shoot the crap out of it. If I like it or want improvements I will go to somebody to make improvements on the action and barrel.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I just think it's important to not start to high on the totem pole so that I can learn as I go.

What I've decided is I'm going to either get a basic 1911 Colt or Springfield. Then shoot the crap out of it. If I like it or want improvements I will go to somebody to make improvements on the action and barrel.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I just think it's important to not start to high on the totem pole so that I can learn as I go.

That is a very good idea, and if I were you I would get a 70 series Colt Gun smiths love to work on them

That is a very good idea, and if I were you I would get a 70 series Colt Gun smiths love to work on them

I'm not too up to date on this but it has to do with the firing pin block I believe? I guess I can look this up and may be a dumb question but does the Series 70 come NIB? Or is only the Series 80 made now?

Guess it's the Series 80 only now.

Edited by ls3_kid
I'm not too up to date on this but it has to do with the firing pin block I believe? I guess I can look this up and may be a dumb question but does the Series 70 come NIB? Or is only the Series 80 made now?Guess it's the Series 80 only now.
The 70 series is a true 1911 the 80 series come with the lock
I have a chance to get a nice Colt M1991A1 Commander in fair-good condition for $600. Comes with 5 mags and aftermarket box. Am I getting jipped or is this a fair and reasonable price?

Stainless or Blued? how many rounds down the pipe and what condition is the bore in?

I'm not too up to date on this but it has to do with the firing pin block I believe? I guess I can look this up and may be a dumb question but does the Series 70 come NIB? Or is only the Series 80 made now?

Not in about 31 years.

Guess it's the Series 80 only now.

Not in about 20 years.

But you can still find some good 80's around. Series 70's are hard to find in good shape for a good price.

For what it's worth I have a series 80 Commander. I have heard people bad mouth them but I'm not a gunsmith so this is just my opinion. I have never worked on it nor had it worked on. I suppose the chances are slim that I would ever drop it (knock on wood), and if I do the hammer would either be back (ready to fire) or back and on safe... NEVER sitting on a live round, EVER - BUT, with all of that said, **** DOES happen so any little thing I can do to keep it happening to me I am all for!

Sounds like a good plan to me - get one you like and just try to wear it out! I also like the Ruger 1911, based on the review that our own Hickok45 did here:

. In fact I was planning on doing that myself until I shot an M&P .45.

I've got a norinco with maybe 15K rounds through it (internals including barrel are GI). Never had a problem with it, no malfs not traced to bad mags or ammo. Gunsmithing consisted of a match armorer spending 15 minutes on it. My favorite out of the pile of 1911s I have is a sistema. Point is, you don't need to drop big bucks unless you want name brand bragging rights. A base 1911 that meets original specs leaves you more cash for good mags and more ammo

Guest Pawpaw

I have three Kimbers. I use a Stainless Ultra Carry II for prime carry. Have run ovr three thousand round throught it with out the first failure. No issues with the outhers either. Good out of the box on all three.