Recent thread on supressors?

Guest nancy

Guest nancy

Can you direct me to a recent thread on obtaining a supressor? My husband target practices on our property, back in the woods, but it is still noisy. He is thinking of getting a supressor for a Glock 17(9mm) or his Smith and Wesson 41 or 22A-1(22 caliber). He heard that recently the Tennessee law had changed, that if the supressor was made in Tennessee, the large tax may not be charged and the additional paperwork may not be necessary.

Thanks.

Nancy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

That case is making it's way through the courts, but unfortunately even at its best outcome will not affect us for a couple of years at least.

Currently, and for the foreseeable future you are required to purchase the suppressor, fill out the Form 4 from the dealer, submit the paperwork and a check for $200 to the ATF and wait 2-6 months for the paperwork to clear and your stamp to come back at which time you may take delivery of your suppressor.

I hope it changes one day for the better.

Guest nancy

My husband went to the gunstore today and used a supressor on several handguns, he was surprised that the noise from the 9mm was not more suppressed.

N

• Admin Team

Hollywood has not really been honest in showing their use over the years. Additionally, unless he was using 147gr ammo, he was still shooting supersonic which is loud.

If he goes back with some subsonic ammo, it won't be as quiet as the movies, but it will be both earsafe and a lot quieter.

FWIW, I use a trident-9 suppressor on a Glock 19. I shoot outdoors and only use subsonic ammo. The noise difference is substantial. My neighbor 100 yards away can't tell I am shooting if he is inside his house. Outside, he says it sounds like a nailgun. It's also hearing safe for me without earplugs.

I would suspect that indoors where he might have tried it, it might have sounded a lot louder than outside where the noise can dissipate without bouncing around. Also, subsonic vs. supersonic ammo makes a huge difference. Supersonic ammo sounds like a .22lr out of a suppressor. Subsonic sounds like a loud BB-Gun or nail-gun. If you reload, you can also tailor the ammo to the suppressor; some powders (I like N330) are significantly quieter, and cleaner in the can than others. I prefer 124gr bullets as keeping them subsonic generates less pressure, and thus less sound, but with the right powder will still cycle reliably.

That said, a suppressor isn't going to sound like the movies, but with a good suppressor, that Glock 17 is one of the best candidates to get as quiet as a handgun can.

Edited by 9teeneleven
Guest nancy

"I would suspect that indoors where he might have tried it" Actually, he tried the different guns outside. I will pass on the information about the subsonic ammo. And yes, we did have the discussion that the "silencers" used in movies have basically a pffft kind of noise, nothing similar to the noise in real life. Wonder why we were surprised at that????

N