First time carrying in public

Guest roshambo

Guest roshambo

My first time publicly carrying (concealed) was at Krogers in Hickory Hollow. Was kinda nervous, but it was just like any other day at Krogers! Go figure! First time I've been to that one in a LONG time and now I remember why! Just thought I would share my first timer experience! This weekend, it's Wally World! :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Carry as much as possible and get comfortable with it. The place that really gets me is carrying at church. I only remember one persons with large eyes looking straight at my Glock 27 under my shirt. I wonder what the pastor would say.

First trip out carrying I felt like I had a few giant blinky red arrows with horns over head and kept wondering why people weren't staring at me and clutching their children in fear and calling civil authorities. Then it was like oh yeah uhm they don't know. I've carried a knife for 20+ years, two knives for 10+ years and I stopped considering people's reactions to them either. My knives have yet to hop out of my pocket and go on a vengeful murderous spree either. I do feel naked when I'm not carrying which is rare thankfully, kinda like not having a phone or wallet on you. You may not need either one immediately but you know they're missing anyways and you don't like it.

It does become second nature fairly soon. I was putting stuff in to my truck at the handicapped spot in front of the Lewisburg walmart yesterday when this man about my age with casual draw string shorts and a white T shirt walked past me to the front doors. He had already made me as the 2 inch medium frame 357 in my right front prints big time. He had some type of medium size poly pistol in a leather holster strapped on in plain view. I think he is the same man I saw in a auto parts store several years ago with a belt holster holding an all steel pistol under his bibb overalls. Small towns are a little easier on us.

congrats , soon you will feel strange when you dont carry

I have had mine about 1 month and have carried everyday since I got the permit. I had to go to an event where wearing it would be difficult and I felt like I had lost my wallet or something.

Guest nicemac
Yep. Carry as much as possible and get comfortable with it. The place that really gets me is carrying at church. I only remember one persons with large eyes looking straight at my Glock 27 under my shirt. I wonder what the pastor would say.

You need to come to church with me. We took a group of 13 from church to get permits together. (Church is 80-100 people)

Guest FHTMcrt

If you're truly committed to carrying, you will feel naked without it in no time at all. My younger brother is a Federal Officer (U. S. Customs) and I used to chide him at Thanksgiving when I'd see his Glock printing under his shirt. Then I got my carry permit, began carrying from day 1, and never looked back. I later apologized to him. ;)

Originally Posted by bigwakes viewpost-right.png Yep. Carry as much as possible and get comfortable with it. The place that really gets me is carrying at church. I only remember one persons with large eyes looking straight at my Glock 27 under my shirt. I wonder what the pastor would say.

I think we have roughly 45 adult members at the church I attend. I know of 8 HCP holders who carry there. There are more folks than you think. :) Both pastors have their HCP.

Edited by tt0511
Guest pfries

Congratulations,

And you will adjust to carrying and not be paranoid about others noticing.

In actuality very few do, for them I guess ignorance is bliss. :)

I took me a while to find the right pistols and the right holsters. I settled on IWB holsters at 3 or 4 o'clock. I tried other styles but didn't like them as well. I also have a pocket pistol a carry all the time as a back up or primary weapon.

1) Shoulder holsters: To awkward, they print and you tend to sweep the crowd when you draw (although not necessarily). You can't take you jacket off and still be concealed.

2) Cross-draw holsters: I tried Crossdraw but it wasn't as comfortable as IWB at 3-4 o'clock.

3) Small of the Back holsters: You don't have as good a control of your weapon from back their, somebody could bump you and take it away, plus sitting in a chair or truck seat is not so good.

You need to come to church with me. We took a group of 13 from church to get permits together. (Church is 80-100 people)

I took a group of 9 from my church to get their permit including my wife. It's a church of about 5000 though. The pastor did mention from the pulpit not to rush the stage because he was certain some members of the band had weapons. I don't think he knows most of the band members are in my men's shooting group though.

• Administrator
My first time publicly carrying (concealed) was at Krogers in Hickory Hollow. Was kinda nervous, but it was just like any other day at Krogers! Go figure! First time I've been to that one in a LONG time and now I remember why! Just thought I would share my first timer experience! This weekend, it's Wally World! :)

You're right... just like any other day in Hickory Hollow, with the exception of the fact that you too were armed. :censored:

Guest 808-South

I also carried for my first time today. I kept checking my weapon if it was secure in my holster. I really do need a better holster.

It felt good that, no one knew I was armed. People that I spend time with daily had no clue.

Guest roshambo

Well, I did the Wally Walk this weekend LOL! Also a restaurant and church. No issues at all. I've come to the conclusion that nobody cares enough to take a second look at the occasional "bump" on my shirt if I turn funny. I've found that carrying IWB at around 2 o'clock is most comfortable for me. I thought that carrying my Glock 22 would be difficult, but it's actually not that bad. I'm still on the search for trading for a 23 though! =)

Guest roshambo

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I left my pistol in the car when I went into Rivergate mall, but I didn't see anything posted on the JC Penney entrance that I went into. What is the real story with that mall? I've heard it's posted on the main entrance doors, but I thought the law stated on ALL entrances for it to be enforced? With what I saw there this weekend, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable armed!

Guest DJBiker
Oh yeah, almost forgot. I left my pistol in the car when I went into Rivergate mall, but I didn't see anything posted on the JC Penney entrance that I went into. What is the real story with that mall? I've heard it's posted on the main entrance doors, but I thought the law stated on ALL entrances for it to be enforced? With what I saw there this weekend, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable armed!

Yes, the law states that ALL entrances have to be posted for it to be a legal posting. If you are made, and asked to leave, just leave and nothing more is said.

Yes, the law states that ALL entrances have to be posted for it to be a legal posting. If you are made, and asked to leave, just leave and nothing more is said.

That is correct, but also each store at a mall is also it's own business. So if the entrance to the mall from JC Penny was posted, it would still be illegal to carry in the mall (assuming other entrances are posted) even though it may be legal to carry in JC Penny itself.

Guest roshambo
That is correct, but also each store at a mall is also it's own business. So if the entrance to the mall from JC Penny was posted, it would still be illegal to carry in the mall (assuming other entrances are posted) even though it may be legal to carry in JC Penny itself.

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the entrance to the mall from inside the anchor store have to be posted for that to be enforceable? I'm not trying to find loopholes, just making sure I'm obeying the laws! I would HOPE that the worst that would happen to you would the mall cops would pull you aside and ask you to leave. I haven't seen any stories (not that I've looked hard) about experiences accidentally carrying in privately posted businesses.

Guest roshambo
It is legal in TN, unless the church is posted.

Now that poses an interesting question, has anyone ever seen a church posted? (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let this question start any religious debates LOL!)

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the entrance to the mall from inside the anchor store have to be posted for that to be enforceable? I'm not trying to find loopholes, just making sure I'm obeying the laws! I would HOPE that the worst that would happen to you would the mall cops would pull you aside and ask you to leave. I haven't seen any stories (not that I've looked hard) about experiences accidentally carrying in privately posted businesses.

I thought that is what I said...