Lessons learned from a home invasion

For those of us with kids in bedrooms spread out in the house, staying in the bedroom isn't an option. If there's a break-in, I'm clearing the house.

Thugs may overwhelm and kill me, but I guarantee I'm taking a few of them with me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the things hit close to home for me.

1. I keep a dedicated 38 hidden in the nightstand (and a 12 gauge hidden, yet easily acceptable as well).

2. Both my wife and I keep flashlights on our nightstands.

3. I have a pair of slip-on shoes (who has time for laces) ready at the bed.

4. We have plans to deal with break-ins.

He loses me with the "handcuffs" though. I don't want to kill anyone, but I have zero plans on trying to detain an intruder. A verified intruder will be shot. If I miss...my wife won't (she is in charge of the 12 gauge).

I guess I am old-fashioned and at least sleep in pajama pants. Last thing I want to do is be in a SHTF situation and be running around in tightie-whities.

Edited by Baron
Just curious as to why a Frenchman would post his experience in English and not in his native language...

It was an email from the French SF guy to the SEAL. More likely for Frenchie to speak English than the SEAL to speak French.

So wouldn't him owning a pistol be illegal in France? I have no clue about French law but from what little I know about European gun laws I wonder if he could own a pistol.

A note in the comments states that this happened in the Dominican Republic.

A thought occurs to me. Would keeping a set of handcuffs handy help in the legal fallout of a shooting? As in, showing that you were prepared to capture them and not "lying in wait" for them?

My paranoia is showing I'm sure, but a recurring nightmare is some liberal co-worker twisting my words on self-defense and making it look like I was salivating at the prospect of shooting a burglar.

My plan for breakins is a combination of clearing and not clearing. Our bedroom door is open to the hall (most of the time LOL) and the baby's room is across the hall. I will clear the hall, hunker down and see what develops. If he/she/they are seen I will shoot to kill. I do not want to go thru the effort of detaining someone, having them get back out of jail and coming back for round 2.

If I do not see them from the hall then they will simply get away with it. I have no Rambo delusions. I will be protecting my family, and not bad guy hunting.

My plan for breakins is a combination of clearing and not clearing. Our bedroom door is open to the hall (most of the time LOL) and the baby's room is across the hall. I will clear the hall, hunker down and see what develops. If he/she/they are seen I will shoot to kill. I do not want to go thru the effort of detaining someone, having them get back out of jail and coming back for round 2.

If I do not see them from the hall then they will simply get away with it. I have no Rambo delusions. I will be protecting my family, and not bad guy hunting.

That is pretty much my plan based on the layout of my house. The whole thing about handcuffs was mostly just about bolstering my defense and to a much lesser extent, being prepared just in case I did wind up with a prisoner.

• 4 weeks later...

Practiced clearing the house from the backdoor (my main entry point) quite a few times, but never thought to try to clear from my bedroom. I keep a .40 and an extra clip in the night stand along with a flashlight. That's my first option. If I can make it to the door of the bedroom I can get my hands on the shotgun (extra box of shells in the closet, within reasonable reach).

Just realized about a week ago that if I were to have to shoot down the hall, I'd be having to do it left handed, and I'm a righty. Guess next time I go to the range I'll be shooting a little left handed with the pistol and the shotty... Dang it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk