Memphis bound, I must be crazy!

brooksjr

Where did you work/live? It sounds like you would have a problem in any city which you lived. If the OP works in Gallaway and lives in an eastern suburb, he won't have to deal with much "stuff." On the other hand, I am constantly aware of the fact that anything can happen anywhere, any time--Memphis, Nashville, Franklin, Bristol, Trenton, Gatlinburg, or BFE.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

The only time I will spend in Memphis proper is to go to Redbirds games.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Where did you work/live? It sounds like you would have a problem in any city which you lived. If the OP works in Gallaway and lives in an eastern suburb, he won't have to deal with much "stuff." On the other hand, I am constantly aware of the fact that anything can happen anywhere, any time--Memphis, Nashville, Franklin, Bristol, Trenton, Gatlinburg, or BFE.

No kidding.

I've lived inside the 40 loop all my life. Call me crazy but it's home and I don't go around town afraid for my life. Even having seen crack houses shut down by Blue Crush, gang bangers slinging dope around "MY Hood" and random gun shots it doesn't really phase me.

I do my part by reporting suspicious activity to the proper authorities, Gang Unit, Blue Crush and my local police station. I keep in touch with plenty of the neighbors whom are good hard working people. It's the bad elements that come and go that really cause any issues.

If more people were willing to stand their ground and help get rid of the thugs, gangs and crackheads Memphis could be cleaned up. As it stands right now it's just a constant circle of the "Flight" syndrome. People get scared, move and let the bad element overrun the once great communities. The the circle starts over, the element moves further and further out and the families move back into the city where the element once overran the area. It's a never ending cycle.

This situation happens in EVERY major city across the US. The only way it can be stopped is if the people who are so intimidated, and afraid for their lives start standing up for themselves. I personally refuse to be intimidated, I become the intimidator to defuse the situation before it ever starts.

Just some information about myself. I'm 32 years old, disabled and bound to a wheelchair. Obviously I do have my HCP, an avid shooter at my range, a card carrying member of the NRA and a studying gunsmith. The most important thing about me is I refuse to be pushed around by a bunch of gang bangers, crackheads and random trash.

Welcome to Memphis, the city is what you make of it. I hope you and your family find a happy life here and that we may cross paths sometime at a range.

Sincerely,

Bane aka The Prince of Nutbush :D

Guest TNShrek

Welcome to the neighborhood. I live, or soon will if I ever finish the house, in Brighton. about 25 minutes from Galloway. The area I am in seems to be a welcoming kind of folks there good luck with your search.

David

Guest nicemac

If you read my comment, you would see that I clearly stated that I have no desire to live in any city, but Memphis is right at the top of the list of definite no-gos. Right up there with Detroit, Baltimore and DC. Why do I name those cities? They have just about the same reputation as Memphis. They have those reputations for a reason and so does Memphis.

I lived in Parkway Village, Hickory Hills and the greater Germantown area. My wife lived in Bartlett while we were dating. I worked downtown, in Midtown and finally in East Memphis. I had buddies in Collierville and Horn Lake where I spent a lot of time. I have experience in several parts of town. No matter which direction you go, Memphis is still the 800 pound gorilla "just over that way a few miles."

I drove to Memphis for some ribs last Summer (only my second trip back since I moved). First thing that happened when I got off the interstate downtown is a stoned hooker staggered in front of my car, all but falling all over my hood. She swung at the car as if I did something wrong (I was stopped at a light). My wife said something to the effect of "Welcome to Memphis."

Are there druggies walking around the streets in other cities? Sure there are. I just don't see them all the time like I did in Memphis. And I am sorry, but no, I don't feel for my safety (or the safety of my wife and kids) walking around Franklin.

You guys are right. Bad stuff happens everywhere. I moved away from Memphis and never regretted it. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I would not move back for any amount of money. I know several people who moved away from there who feel exactly the same way. I do not mean any offense to you if you love Memphis. There are a lot of great people in Memphis (I am sure that group includes you guys on here) If you think Memphis is all that, then by all means, stay there and enjoy.

I promise I will make no more comments about Memphis. Period. But don't try to convince me Memphis is just like any other city. There is just too much evidence otherwise.

I just don't see them all the time like I did in Memphis. And I am sorry, but no, I don't feel for my safety (or the safety of my wife and kids) walking around Franklin.

<snip>

I promise I will make no more comments about Memphis. Period. But don't try to convince me Memphis is just like any other city. There is just too much evidence otherwise.

Once again you're completely missing the fact that the OP lives / works in an area not unlike Franklin.

But you go ahead and lump everything within 100 miles of downtown Memphis in with it, you're simply showing your bias.

Guest nicemac

I am not missing the point.

I was referring to this post by Deerslayer (above):

On the other hand, I am constantly aware of the fact that anything can happen anywhere, any time--Memphis, Nashville, Franklin, Bristol, Trenton, Gatlinburg, or BFE.

I am biased against Memphis. With darn good reason.

Edited by nicemac
I promised not to comment further about Zion on the Mississippi. Sorry.
Welcome to the neighborhood. I live, or soon will if I ever finish the house, in Brighton. about 25 minutes from Galloway. The area I am in seems to be a welcoming kind of folks there good luck with your search.

David

I have been looking at houses/land in that area online. My wife wants to stay in Arlington, but I prefer to not stay in Shelby County.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been 2 weeks and so far so good. After going out and looking at houses when time allows, probably 20 plus in a few days, I'm pretty sure that we will end up in the Atoka/Munford area. We found a house we really like in south Tipton county that actually has a Millington address. Are any of you familiar with this area? How about the Munford schools? My wife has done her research and Munford schools seem to have the best reviews with the exception of the Arlington schools. What about jobs for my wife? She has worked at our local credit union for 6 years in records retention so a bank/credit union may be a good option.

For those of you who offered to help me learn the area and maybe get together for a meal I will be in contact with you once I get on my set shift in another week or two.

This will the first weekend that I'm here without my family.........they came out 2 weeks ago and last week I went back home. If anyone wants to get together for something to eat or a few beers shoot me a pm. I'd like to check out the airshow this weekend, but really don't want to go alone!!

This will the first weekend that I'm here without my family.........they came out 2 weeks ago and last week I went back home. If anyone wants to get together for something to eat or a few beers shoot me a pm. I'd like to check out the airshow this weekend, but really don't want to go alone!!

I'm taking my family Sunday, you're welcome to come with.

• Moderators

If you don't have plans for Saturday and don't mind getting into the city itself, Cooper Young Festival is going on. It is an annual street festival that I know I always enjoy. It is located, oddly enough, at the corner of Cooper St and Young Ave. It is definitely arts oriented and has lots cool vendors and a great mix of music over 3 stages. The wife and some of my friends will be hitting in probably early in the day.

Here is a link to their website. Cooper Young Festival

If you don't have plans for Saturday and don't mind getting into the city itself, Cooper Young Festival is going on. It is an annual street festival that I know I always enjoy. It is located, oddly enough, at the corner of Cooper St and Young Ave. It is definitely arts oriented and has lots cool vendors and a great mix of music over 3 stages. The wife and some of my friends will be hitting in probably early in the day.

Here is a link to their website. Cooper Young Festival

That festival always satisfied the hippy in me. I used to live in mid-town 20 years ago. I enjoyed the area. I lived in a rental in front of the fair grounds and used to make a killing in parking fees during the fair until my Iranian landlord decided that he wanted a piece of the pie.

Should be a fun weekend.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been over 2 months and I'm still alive. I will say that I haven't been "downtown" yet and don't plan on going any time soon. I'm having no long luck selling my house back in Estill Springs, so if any of you know anyone who is looking to rent in that area please let me know. 4 br, 3 bath, just over an acre of land and 1 mile from Tims Ford lake. Also, I'm needing a place to rent out here. Preferably in the Arlington or Atoka/Munford areas. We have looked at several, but haven't committed to anything. This seeing my family every other week crap is driving me crazy, so we are looking to get them out the weekend of Thanksgiving....