First round in new SR9c: Light strike

Beltaine

I figured Ruger would have worked this problem out by now.

First round didn't go bang, rest of the magazine went without issue then the last round of the next magazine didn't go bang.

HCP class is tomorrow, guess I'll have to struggle through it and call Ruger on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justluck

The standard answer seems to be (and it does seem to help) that you need to remove the striker from the slide and clean the factory lube from the striker assembly, as well as, the channel that the striker moves in. Then lightly re-lube with a light weight oil (a synthetic oil is great). You'll not find the striker removal procedures in the users manual, at least it's not in mine. Go to YouTube or on the Ruger web site for "how to" videos.

Periodically you will need to repeat this cleaning. I can tell you from experience that the striker channel will (from shooting) collect brass shavings that can interfere with the striker forward movement, and possibly cause a light strike.

I don't have the correct tool so I tape an extender unto a cotton swab to make it long enough to reach the bottom of the striker channel.

Good luck with the new gun. I have nearly 2000 rounds though mine now and really like the gun.

Edited by justluck

I hate it for ya. Nothing worse than buying a new toy only to have a problem with it. I had light strikes on a .22mag rifle. I sent it back to be repaired and haven't had a problem since. I'm sure it will be taken care of.

That's too bad, I'm on my second SR9c now (purchased 7/11) and with over 500 rounds through it I haven't had a single issue. In fact this is one of the most reliable models I've ever fired. Did you try both magazines and different ammo? It's possible to have a defective gun, Ruger is known for excellent customer service so clean it first, try it again before you send it in.

possible problems:

Too much factory grease (clean it really good)

Striker sticking

Magazine issue

poor ammo

Don't give up on it, good luck!

Edited by Proscene

I hope all goes well for you in your HCP class and you have no further problem's with light primer strikes. FWIW I've had light primer strikes with a pair of G-22 pistol's and a 1911 Colt, none of which were the pistol's fault. It was the ammunition I was running through them, I learned to pay attention to the firing pin and striker indentations in each batch of ammunition I ran through my pistol's.

I think there may be something else going on besides the ammo. Still, I've only used WWB ammo, so maybe I should try something else.

At the HCP class I had 5 light strikes out of 48 rounds, twice the trigger failed to reset, and my last three rounds fired with only one trigger pull. (Full auto)

I used both the 10rd and the 17rd mags and had problems with both.

Not sure if ammo can cause all that or not.

Sorry bout your issue's. I had a Ruger 345 with feeding issue's. Sent it back to Ruger and it came back worse. Hope your lucks better than mine. I would ask Ruger for a new gun & tell em how you permit class went. Good luck

Call RuGer first thing Monday morning, you've got a series of problem's that shouldnt be happening. Everything is repairable and Ruger will make it right for you. The triple burst is very serious so I recommend that you not fire the pistol again until it's been inspected and repaired. I'm suprised your RO didn't pull you off of the fireing line for that one, I've had it happen to me before.

At the HCP class I had 5 light strikes out of 48 rounds, twice the trigger failed to reset, and my last three rounds fired with only one trigger pull. (Full auto)

Not sure if ammo can cause all that or not....

Absolutely NOT!

I echo others here, get that gun sent back to Ruger ASAP.

Firing pin is protruding when it shouldn't for whatever reason -- SERIOUS issue. Hell, that means the frigging thing could fire when you simply rack the slide to load first round, minor stuff like that!

- OS

Guest apgov47

I had the same issue: trigger not resetting through various shots, especially using the 17rd mag. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed the problem. No issues so far.

Called Ruger and they're providing me with a pre-paid label to ship it back to them. Spent less than 10 minutes on the phone to get it done.

Turn around time is 10-15 days, but if it comes back working correctly it will be worth it.

I really really like this gun, when it goes bang. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Got my SR9c back from Ruger on Thursday and took it to the range Friday afternoon.

There's a laundry list of parts that were replaced and it seems to have done the trick. I fed it 200 rounds of mixed WWB and UMC ammo and it never missed a beat.