15 states that do not honor the TN HCP

our TN HCP is valid in 35 states and i think that is great. out of the other 15 states that do not recognize it are listed below:

* California

* Connecticut

* Hawaii

* Illinois

* Iowa

* Maine

* Maryland

* Massachusetts

* Nebraska

* New Jersey

* New York

* Oregon

* Rhode Island

* Washington

* Wisconsin

so remove Illinois, California and New York as it is damn near impossible to get a permit in 2 of those states and Illinois doesnt recognize ANY permit at all and that leaves 12 states that issue permits that do not honor TNs. out of the 12 remaining, that leaves:

* Connecticut

* Hawaii

* Iowa

* Maine

* Maryland

* Massachusetts

* Nebraska

* New Jersey

* Oregon

* Rhode Island

* Washington

* Wisconsin

i was just wondering which of these remaining states issues non-res permits and what one would get the most coverage out of these 12 states?

yes its early, im off work and bored lol.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get one in CA, just not in LA. On another forum that I frequent there are many people from CA that have them.

As for the rest of the list. I can't think of a reason to visit any of them so I don't worry about it. If traveling through, well, don't speed, and don't give the officer a reason to want to pull you out of the car if you are speeding.

Guest darkstar

Having grown up in Massachusetts I can tell you that it is nearly impossible to get a carry permit. Not sure if it has changed but when I left to move down here to TN (1993) the deal was you had to petition your chief of police to get a permit. In Mass, every single town is it's own political entity i.e. they have their own police, fire, water, mayor, board of selectmen, etc. If your local chief didn't want you to have a permit you didn't get one. Period. Even to get a long gun or ammo you have to have what they call an FID (firearms identification) card. You take the required saftey course, apply for the card then they send it to you. It was a hassle just to get a little .22 to target shoot with.

I remember when I moved (at first to Bowling Green KY) it was like "wow". My brother in law at the time owned a gun store. I had always wanted a handgun but couldn't get one in Mass. (You couldn't even purchase one for home defensive use without a "pistol" permit) and he was like what do you want? I couldn't believe how easy it was. What cracks me up is that most of the states that are very restrictive when it comes to carry permits and firearms in general have a barely disguised sense of superiority over other states. The un-said implication in Mass is that we are too smart and too superior to have a great unwashed mass owning firearms. We are too progressive, too intelligent, etc. The liberal intelligencia tries to run that state to their own ideals. Pretty funny if you consider that Lexington and Concord thing, that Boston Tea Party thing, and that Bunker Hill thing happened there. Sad to see that the folks in Mass have decided their rights don't mean squat to them after all thats happened over the years.

Needless to say I'm glad I got smart and moved down here. Though I do reserve the right to keep my Boston accent and love of the Red Sox and Patriots.

i knew CA has permits, they are just uptight Nazis about issuing them. i didnt know NJ was that big of a pain. the commonwealth of Mass doesnt surprise me either now that i think about it. its funny that half of new england is so negative about guns then you have New Hampshire. what a contrast in beliefs.

A good place to check is Handgunlaw.us

Here is a list of states that issue Non-Resident permits and how to apply for them. States that issue Non-resident permits

You can then check the main link to see which states would honor those permits.

Just watch, some states will not honor non-resident permits even if they honor resident permits from the same state. Florida is an ironic one to me, in that the issue non-resident permits, but they will not honor non-resident permits from any other state.

What is funny is Florida will let you get a permit as a non-res but they will only recognize res permits. Does that mean they will not honor their own non-res permits?

EDIT: Dang Fallguy beat me to that. Should have refreshed the page.

What is funny is Florida will let you get a permit as a non-res but they will only recognize res permits. Does that mean they will not honor their own non-res permits?

EDIT: Dang Fallguy beat me to that. Should have refreshed the page.

LOL..happens to me a lot...get a little too long winded in some of my responses.

Hush strickj! :up:

Guest TNDixieGirl
i knew CA has permits, they are just uptight Nazis about issuing them. i didnt know NJ was that big of a pain. the commonwealth of Mass doesnt surprise me either now that i think about it. its funny that half of new england is so negative about guns then you have New Hampshire. what a contrast in beliefs.

No, I meant this comment about New hampshire. I'm not following it. Maybe he meant Vermont?? Either that, or I'm thinking wrong about NH gun laws.

Guest TNDixieGirl

cadillacdude made reference to NH a few posts back. I'm not clear what he meant, so I asked. Now I think I have him figured out (thinking he meant Vermont), but that's just a guess on my part.

Guest GLOCKGUY

im thinking about getting a Non-resident permit. what is the best one to get for TN resident. i looked ar FL Non-resident permit it looks like if you get that one it will not help you out none :up:

lol,Its amazing how quick our post turn astray.Any other forum will delete your post if you do that

If a thread gets too off topic, I'll seperate it into another thread in the Off-Topic area... other than that, we're not too keen on censoring opinion or loose discussion unless it's blatantly inflammatory. I'll close a thread in which the relevant discussion is over... but that's not the case here :up:

TGO rocks! Hardly any issues at all... I guess we just get along better than most.