Venison Recipes.

Post all your venison recipes here. If you have already posted a recipe please copy it and paste it here for everyone. Sorry im working from my phone as my computer isn't cooperating. Alright Dave im waiting for that killer recipe :D.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest adamoxtwo

Venison Chili

• 4 strips bacon, diced
  • 2 1/2 pounds leg or shoulder of venison, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 2 garlic cloves crushed
  • 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
  • 1 can Black Beans

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper-lined plate to drain. Add the venison to the hot oil in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and in batches if necessary, until well seared. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic and saute over medium-low heat until tender. Stir in the wine and the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the dry spices, chopped tomatoes, black beans and the beef stock. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the sauce is very thick and flavorful. Add the venison and bacon to the pot and cook, stirring, until just cooked through and hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve with the grated cheese.

trust me you want to double it! I also recommend Jalapeno Corn Bread with this.

• Admin Team

This isn't a chili recipie per se, but I can't wait to try this recipie this year. I was sitting in my wife's doctor's office earler this year before the birth of our third child. They graciously subscribe to Field and Stream which had this recipie. I actually took a picture of the page sitting there in the doctor's office.

Shoulder Roast with wild mushrooms, apples and turnips:

post-3990-132850577531_thumb.jpg

Here's the link to the recipie so they get the page hits. The mashed turnips sound great to me.

John Besh's Recipe for Roasted Venison Shoulder | Field & Stream

• Admin Team

A couple of years ago I was sitting in a restaurant called Palace Kitchen in downtown Seattle. They had a "root vegetable stew" that was made with venison. It was incredible. Turnips, parsnips, onions, potatos, carrots, etc... I'd love to find a recipie for it.

I may have to experiment this season.

Dave's

Venihawg Chili

This chili is made from Venison and Wild Hog. If you don’t have Wild Hog or Venison, you can substitute beef and pork boston butt for the recipe. It is cooked in a 14 inch cast Iron Skillet and will feed 4-6 folks. I do most of my chili cooking over a campfire.

This recipe has won 2 local “chili cookoffs” and I share it with you with great pride. My winning secret ingredient has been omitted for “logical reasons”. But ya'll should be able to figure it out.

Step 1: Open two 12oz bottles of Miller Draft (bud if you’re a redneck). Set aside to “vent off” the CO-2.

Step 2: Mix the following dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. This is enough to season several batches of chili, and should be stored in a quart jar with tight fitting lid.

1/4 Cup of Chili Powder

1/4 Cup of Paprika

4 teaspoons of Cumin Seed

2 teaspoons Oregano

2 teaspoons Salt

4 teaspoons of Garlic Powder

*Taste the beer to make sure that the CO-2 is venting off. No CO-2 in the chili.

1 teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper

2 Tablespoons of Dried Sage

You will be adding 3 Tablespoons of this dry mix, to each 1 pound of meat cooked.

*Taste beer to see how it is venting. You want it flat.

In a skillet (what I use) or pot, add:

1 pound of pork or boar sausage

1 pound ground Venison

1/3 pound of ¼ inch diced venison

1/3 pound of diced Wild Boar or Pork Boston Butt

1/3 pound of smoked bacon diced

3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

1 Large Onion Diced

1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic

*Test beer again for progress.

Brown the above ingredients until browned and onions are translucent. Drain.

Open the following items and pour them into the meat mixture.

*Taste the beer.

2 cans of plain stewed tomatoes (undrained)

2 cans of stewed tomatoes with green chilis (undrained)

1 can of Tomato Paste

1 cup Beef Broth

2 teaspoons salt

2 cans of Pinto Beans (drained)

2 cans of Black Beans (drained

Stir all ingredients well. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add 3 tablespoons of the above mix to each pound of meat used. Stir well.

Measure ¼ cup of Jiffy Instant Cornbread mix into a small bowl. Add just enough of the hot chili juice to the cornmeal mix to make a thick slury. Slowly, while stirring the chili, add the slurry to the chili to thicken it. If you don’t have enough juice, use hot water. Stir well. Add remaining liquid and stir well.

Optional….Garnish the Chili with whole red Chili Peppers.

Serve HOT with shredded cheese and crackers or cornbread. Fritos go well with this chili also!

Season to taste with additional Chili Powder if needed.

Edited by wd-40
This isn't a chili recipie per se, but I can't wait to try this recipie this year. I was sitting in my wife's doctor's office earler this year before the birth of our third child. They graciously subscribe to Field and Stream which had this recipie. I actually took a picture of the page sitting there in the doctor's office.

Shoulder Roast with wild mushrooms, apples and turnips:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602[/ATTACH]

Here's the link to the recipie so they get the page hits. The mashed turnips sound great to me.

John Besh's Recipe for Roasted Venison Shoulder | Field & Stream

This sounds really good. I will give it a shot. Thanks for sharing with us!

Guest Bronker

Outfitter's Stew, Bronker-Style

This is actually a conglomerate of multiple recipes I have seen, read and perfected over the years. I often make it with beef, but love to make it with ground venison. As was mentioned, the venison must have some beef fat added to make it cook down right.

Here's the ingredients:

1 lb. ground venison (with ground beef fat added)

1/2 lb. bacon

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup vinegar based BBQ sauce

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp mustard powder

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper...or more if you are man enough

1-2 can kidney beans

1-2 can butter beans

1-2 can pork-n-beans

Usually at this point I look up and scan the camp site for what else we have laying around. Like chopped onions, chopped mushrooms, more beans, etc. Choose your fancy.

Fry the bacon to medium in your dutch oven. Add the ground meat and brown to medium well. Your bacon will finish here as well. Then I add the onions, bell peppers, etc. and saute' them lightly.

Then you add all of your other ingredients. After mixing thoroughly, drop it onto the coals and get it gently boiling. As soon as it does, lift it off the coals, partially cover it with the lid, and let it simmer for as long as you can stand it. Check often to stir. I often eat it over sweet cornbread, and chase it with peach cobbler and cowboy coffee. This stuff is awesome.

Guest adamoxtwo

Would be much Appreciated!!! Barring any Objections I am going to try and consolidate them. I also, would like to request a Recipe and Review section as a permanent thread. If we can get some grilling and any other recipe's going I would love to include them!

Guest FordMan
Someone on here was looking for some deer meat for chili. I may have some for them.

I'm a bird hunter not a deer hunter but I love venison. If anyone has some extra they want to sell this season then just let me know.

Guest adamoxtwo
Im sure one of use hunters would just give you some. I think selling it is illegal anyway.

It is, but there is a legal and ethical way around it. If someone were to harvest a deer and someone else paid the processing fee (if you are like me and do not have the equipment to do so yourself) then whomever wants the meat can pay the piper and get their meat. I for one would be more than happy to harvest a doe tag it and drop it off once I filled my freezer. I think I'm paying $60 for a standard process on a deer.

Guest adamoxtwo

I am willing in Clarksville, Nashville area if anyone needs some meat. If you don't want an entire deer I'll through some steaks and/or ground meat someone's way. Just let me know.