Venison Recipes.

Guest Bronker
I process my own, and I can spare some also. There is a needy family at our church that I give to every deer season. But I usualy have some to spare.

That's what I do. I wonder what would be a feasible way for there to be a list of folks that want / need meat. Somewhere we could post that we harvested one, and we could coordinate a game-share. I'll even help a man process it.

Currently, I cut out the tenderloins and one backstrap, and take the rest to a family in our church. Good folks. Man does the best he can. Mom disabled with M.S., and four younger children. These kids have perfected the art of butchering. They look like an army of ants attacking this hanging carcass.

Guest FordMan

I don't want to take anything away from anyone that needs it badly. If you are giving it to a needy family then go ahead. I don't want to take food out of anyones mouth.

This is the best venison ever, period. The key is cooking to medium-rare to medium and not drying it out.

This will do one backstrap or both inside tenderloins:

1 cup of brown sugar

1 cup of soy sauce

1/2 pound of bacon

Cut the backstrap in medallions about the width of a slice of bacon. The thicker cut allows you to grill it to a nice brown without overcooking.

After slicing, wrap each medallion in a 1/2 slice of bacon.

Marinate the slice, bacon-wrapped medallions in the soy and brown sugar for a minimum of 4 hours. I usually fix these around lunch and then grill for dinner.

Grill over hot coal for about 10-12 minutes. I use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place, or I use kabob skewers to hold several. This makes it easier to turn over and works well for me.

If using the smaller inside tenderloins, you can leave both tenderloins whole and wrap both together into one bacon wrapped log. Grill whole for about 12 minutes and then slice after allowing to rest for 5 minutes or so.

Just a warning, married women have left their husbands after tasting my grilled backstrap. Don't fix this in mixed company without taking appropriate precautions.

For reference, this is the place i started, I just made changes to make it easier to cook and eat : Sweet Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin Recipe - Food.com - 139664

I don't want to take anything away from anyone that needs it badly. If you are giving it to a needy family then go ahead. I don't want to take food out of anyones mouth.

No sir, that's not what I meant. I give them a deer, and they are happy with it. I usually have several for my self that I am willing to share with someone. Them folks may not even want one this year, I haven't asked them yet. I have plenty to go around.

Here is a recipe the kids and I really like.

Carne Asada Venison

Take a 16oz jar of your favorite salsa.

1/2 cup of Brown sugar

1/2 cup of lime juice

1 packet of onion soup mix

Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend till it isn't chunky.

Use half to marinade the venison and reserve the rest. The longer it marinates the more tender it will be. I usually let it marinate for 24 hours.

Two ways to cook:

1) If you grill, grill the meat to medium rare. While the meat is grilling, heat the remaining sauce in a pot. Spoon the warm sauce over the meat when you serve it.

2) Pan fry. Heat a pan over high heat and brown both sides of the venison. Now add the reserved marinade and let the meat simmer until medium rare to medium.

Guest adamoxtwo
No sir, that's not what I meant. I give them a deer, and they are happy with it. I usually have several for my self that I am willing to share with someone. Them folks may not even want one this year, I haven't asked them yet. I have plenty to go around.

+1

Guest Bronker

Is it just me, or do all of the BEST recipes as a whole start with the phrase..."add 1/2 to 1 lb bacon..."

Look back and see if that's not the trend.

Bacon...it makes all good things better.

I found this chili recipe online, I will be making some tonight or tomorrow. I have made it before and it is awesome.

Award Winning Chili Recipe - Food.com - 105865

Dave's BBQ Sauce:

I would like to share two of my favorite BBQ sauces with you all.

Either sauce can be used on Chicken, Pork, Venison, Bear and Wild Boar.

SWEET SAUCE:

1 Cup of Ketchup

1/4 Cup of water or beer

1/4 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar

3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

2 Tablespoons of Paprika

1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder

2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced

1 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper

Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add garlic stir until browned.

Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.

Used while cooking or as a "dipping sauce".

Dave's Hawg Sauce:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper

1 Teaspoon of Ground Red Pepper

1/2 Teaspoon of Salt

1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper.

Mix well. Use as a basting sauce or serve on BBQ Chicken or "pulled pork".

Venison Breakfast Sausage

For a 5 pound batch;

4 pounds Venison, cubed

1 pound fatty bacon or pork

3 1/2 tsp salt

5 tsp of sage

2 1/2 tsp ginger

1 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Run venison and bacon through grinder using course plate.

Mix ingredients into meat, mixing well.

Run mix through fine grinder plate. Package in 1 pound bags and freeze until needed.

BBQ Slaw:

I make this slaw to go with my BBQ Pork or Boar. It also goes well with venison.

4 1/2 to 5 cups of finely chopped or shredded cabbage (about half a head).

1 Cup of White Vinegar

1 Cup of Sugar

1 teaspoon Celery Seed

1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Place Shredded Cabbage in a large bowl, and add all ingredients. Mix well.

Cover and place in refridgerator a few hours or overnight before serving.

Serve as a side dish, or as a topping for "pulled pork" sandwiches.

If used as a sandwich topping, add your BBQ sauce and you're good to go!

BBQ Slaw:

I make this slaw to go with my BBQ Pork or Boar. It also goes well with venison.

4 1/2 to 5 cups of finely chopped or shredded cabbage (about half a head).

1 Cup of White Vinegar

1 Cup of Sugar

1 teaspoon Celery Seed

1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Place Shredded Cabbage in a large bowl, and add all ingredients. Mix well.

Cover and place in refridgerator a few hours or overnight before serving.

Serve as a side dish, or as a topping for "pulled pork" sandwiches.

If used as a sandwich topping, add your BBQ sauce and you're good to go!

This looks suspiciously like a recipe I got from a previous neighbor... It is good stuff.

I will share with y'all a staple of my kitchen. I make this up and keep it around all year. I am seldom without it. It makes a great stand alone sauce or a starting point/add in for other bbq sauces. I have altered this over the years but originally developed it to go with smoked wild pig down in Florida. It goes good with all wild game and pork.

You can add any store bought BBQ sauce a little at a time if the vinegar is too much for you or if it is too spicy for your taste. I use Neely's because I can get it locally at Walmart and I like it best in this sauce. If you don't like hot, don't use Neely's Spicy, it is too warm for some folks. You can use a sweet BBQ sauce, but they tend to burn if you are using them to baste during smoking or grilling. I keep the sugars low in the sauce to keep it from burning easily.

Mix all this together is a big jar or jug and shake it till the salt dissolves.

You can brush this on a little during the last hour of smoking. I just put a bowl of it on the table and spoon a little over my smoked pork/venison/ect.

Hot Carolina Vinegar Sauce

2 1/2 Cups of White Vineger (or apple cider vinager if you like it)

1/2 bottle of Neely's Spicy BBQ sauce

1/2 cup of water

2 tablespoons of brown sugar (white sugar works too)

4 teaspoons of salt

4 teaspoons of Red pepper flakes (like you put on pizza)

2 tablespoon of hot sauce (Crystal or Tabasco or your fovorite)

1 teaspoon of black pepper

1 teaspoon of white pepper

1 teaspoon of dry rub (still good without this) I have my own rub, but a store bought rub is fine.

2 teaspoon of cayanne pepper

Go ahead and make a double batch up in a gallon jug. You won't be sorry.

Whiskey, That sounds good. I'd like to make some and try it. I don't know if I brought any of that slaw over to Jason's house or not. I don't remember. I may share that Nasty rib recipe with ya'll ( you remember the ones that all the meat fell off the bones). I may cut loose with that tomorrow.

I know this is a "Venison Recipe" thread, but I have so many wild game recipes to share. Maybe change the name the "TGO Eatery"..lol

Guest GunTroll
Is it just me, or do all of the BEST recipes as a whole start with the phrase..."add 1/2 to 1 lb bacon..."

Look back and see if that's not the trend.

Bacon...it makes all good things better.

All this bacon talk makes me think of the Simpson's episode where Homer tells Bart while at the dinner table to "butter up that bacon boy! And bacon up that sausage". Mmmm. Could you go wrong with either?

Bacon is awesome.

Why yes it is. Right up there with butter and grits. Sure you could throw in some venison in the mix and it would fit like a glove :rolleyes:

Guest adamoxtwo
I know this is a "Venison Recipe" thread, but I have so many wild game recipes to share. Maybe change the name the "TGO Eatery"..lol

Why not just make is Hunting and Fishing recipe thread?

Awesome, simple recepie to keep you warm around the campfire on those cold, long winter hunts....

Prep time/cooking time --- 5 minutes/20 minutes

Serves 2 (Or just me, cos I'm a greedy plumper)

Ingredients:

Bush's Baked Beans, 1 can, any variety

1 small onion, roughly chopped

1 or 2 fresh Jalapeno peppers, sliced or chopped as fine as you like

3 rashers of good thick bacon, cut into 1" sections

½lb game meat, any kind cubed into 1" cubes

salt & pepper to taste

Your choice of BBQ sauce. My preference is Kraft Original

1 BIG handfull of Strong cheddar, grated.

Okay, all you do is fry up the meat & bacon in a large saucepan, until browned & done.

Add your onion & jalapeno & fry for a further 2 or 3 minutes (You don't want to over cook them, you want a bit of 'crunch' left)

Throw in the can of beans & a good dollop of BBQ sauce & boil the snot out of 'em. Cook the whole shebang for a good 15 minutes. Season to taste (Don't be scared of the salt pot, it will end up pretty sweet if you don't season well)

Stir in the cheese until melted & the whole 'stew' becomes all sticky & gooey.

Best served in huge quantities with a big hunk of crusty bread & a glass of Whiskey (It doesn't matter which, I've never come accross a bad one yet. Believe me, I've done the research!

Been using this home-spun recipe for a while & I've never managed to have any leftovers yet!

Prep time/Cooking time --- 10 minutes/5 minutes per patty

Feeds 4 to 6 (Depending how big you like your burgers)

Ingredients;

1lb game meat (works VERY well with antelope or elk) ground as finely as possible

1 small onion, finely diced

2 jalapenos, de-seeded & finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic, freshly crushed & chopped

2 dill pickle spears, finely diced

6 drops of liquid smoke

salt & black pepper

1 large egg

1 tbsp BBQ sauce

1 tbsp plain flour

Throw everything BUT THE FLOUR in a big bowl & mix well. Make sure all the small ingredients are blended right through the meat. If you find the mixture is very wet & sticky (It sometimes gets a little too wet to hold together, but not always) add enough plain flour to bind it together)

If you have the willpower, or forethought, this is much tastier if left in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking)

Form into burger sized patties & fry over a medium heat in a skillet.

Best served in a good Kaiser Roll, with Ketchup & a cold beer or six.

Don't try these on the grill, they'll fall apart, but fried....DAMN they good!