Deer hunting Tips and Tricks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunt as far downhill from your truck as humanly possible. The farther & steeper, the better. If rappelling gear is needed, awesome.

I guarantee you'll kill a 300 pounder & have to drag the heavy sumbitch all the way back out.

Somebody once told me a story of an old guy who supposedly shot a 200lb deer at the top of a hill, allowing him to drag it dowhill all the way to his truck, but I call BS on that.

I witnessed my buddy shoot a deer in the bottom of a deep, overgrown hollow, only to have it run straight up the hill and fall over dead right behind his truck. Never happens that way for me!

Guest GunTroll

Don't eat lots of sardines and think you are scent free. Even though the mustard flavored ones are pretty good and only good when deer hunting for some reason. The rest of the year they are horrible.

Oh yeah follow all rules written and not written. Don't be that guy...

I started a massive family argument once at a restaurant (actually she started it.) My uncle's wife, (not calling her my aunt, as I don't claim any relation to her) said something over the meal about how people shouldn't hunt because it was cruel to animals and people should just buy their meat at the grocery store. Now she says this as she is stuffing her ignorant face with a cheese burger. I just couldn't take it I went on a rant right in the middle of the meal. I told her she was ignorant, I asked her if she had experienced the conditions of a corporate farm and personally seen the ways the animals there lived all of their life. Then I told her that she would appreciate the sacrifice that animal made by giving its life if she had to look it in the eye, kill it, gut, skin, quarter, debone, and grind the meat. Then I said anyone that has a problem with those things shouldn't be allowed to eat meat, it doesn't come from the grocery store it comes from an animal. Yeah but that family dinner didn't go over so well...

Guest adamoxtwo
I started a massive family argument once at a restaurant (actually she started it.) My uncle's wife, (not calling her my aunt, as I don't claim any relation to her) said something over the meal about how people shouldn't hunt because it was cruel to animals and people should just buy their meat at the grocery store. Now she says this as she is stuffing her ignorant face with a cheese burger. I just couldn't take it I went on a rant right in the middle of the meal. I told her she was ignorant, I asked her if she had experienced the conditions of a corporate farm and personally seen the ways the animals there lived all of their life. Then I told her that she would appreciate the sacrifice that animal made by giving its life if she had to look it in the eye, kill it, gut, skin, quarter, debone, and grind the meat. Then I said anyone that has a problem with those things shouldn't be allowed to eat meat, it doesn't come from the grocery store it comes from an animal. Yeah but that family dinner didn't go over so well...

I feel obligated to by you a beer and put you on speed dial so you can have that argument for me. It's funny because I have the same type of argument about my daughter hunting. She is 5 and hasn't been in the woods yet because of her age, but for her 6th birthday I am planning a Ram hunt for her. I have slowly been introducing her to firearms, and will spend a lot of time at the range getting her prepared to harvest her first animal. However, she has to show me that she can handle a firearm (supervised) before I take her out. My family (from Philadelphia) is 100% against it and thinks that it's wrong for me to put her in a situation to kill an animal. As of now she has tracked and helped me gut 5 deer and accompanied me to the processors to watch a deer get skinned and the head chopped. She has no issue with that part (which is arguable worse then the shooting part) and wants to go out with me every time I go. My Point is this. You can teach a child how to do anything so long as you teach them properly. Just sayin.

Thanks, a lot yall. I have a stubborn habit of defending my beliefs even when it gets ugly. Just got done arguing on Facebook about a peaceful demonstration where firearms were carried. The guy I was arguing with was a guy I knew from college and is in law school and will likely be a politician one day. He ended the conversation after I said my piece by saying "Um we'll have to agree to disagree b/c I don't really want to get into a full blown internet argument, lol" which I read as "I don't have a comeback for your brilliant point." @Roverboy, yes my uncle still talks to me, he knows his wife is an idiot. I'm not a huge fan of him either.