New Purchase P220

tugboat

Until today, the only sig I have ever owned was my P238; which i still have and love. So today, a guy comes into work and notices that im a gun fan so we start to chat. He informs me that he has a never fired, new in the box sig p220. He gave me a price which I thought was fair....long story short i'm now the new owner of it. It's everything the guy says it was however I really know nothing about it. I called a friend of mine after my purchase in which he informed me that some of them are refurbished from sig...Another person told me the same thing. Can anyone educate me on this? All i know is that its DA/SA, no rail, 45 in a gray sig box that says "made in Germany" on the side. I hope i didnt getting taken. Like I said it was a "fair" price...by far not a steal!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Magic said, the refurbished Sigs are in red boxes (they are commonly known as "CPO" for certified previously owned). There is definitely nothing wrong with a Sig refurbed by Sig. I have a CPO P228, and the only thing different from it versus a brand new one is the red box,.......and a lower purchase price--It looks brand new.

You definitely purchased a nice one, but don't avoid Sig factory refurbished ones because they are very good also.

Nicest of the P-220 Model's, I've got the same and much prefer it to the newer models with the rail on them. The thing to remember with a Sig is once they've been shot enough to break them in good they really smooth up. I have a friend who ran a Wolff Spring kit in his and it was the smoothest DA/SA I've ever seen.

Guest The Highlander

I have a CPO 220. I've fired, with witnesses, a one-hole 5-shot group with it at 11 yards. It is literally the last gun I'd let go of. Also have a German made CPO 225 that is absolutely flawless. Made in the 90's and refurbed by SIG. My wife shoots it extremely well, better than I do unfortunately. A fact she reminds me of often!

The CPO's are redone by SIG, and they replace anything and everything that is worn. My 220 had a tiny nick on the slide as its only flaw. The 225 looks like a safe queen. The best deal on SIG's anywhere if they happen to have the model you want is a CPO. Honestly, I would buy a CPO over the same model new. It has had a break-in period and then been gone through by a competent 'smith.

If yours isn't a CPO, even better. The German guns are hard to find. Check out the SIG forum and in particular look at Flork's guide to lubrication. SIG's like it wet. I recommend grease instead of oil.

The Highlander

well...once again you guys have helped me a bunch...its not a cpo verifying it with the serial number and the gray box...i even got intouch with sig. It really wasnt that big of a deal after reading everyone's input reguarding it i just wanted more info on what i had purchased. So far...its a little raw but shoots great! I will for sure take all the advice given. Thanks again TGO!!!