I-Phone vs Droid

Guest bigbovine

Just FYI I bought a case called Lifeproof for my iPhone. It's dirt, dust, snow, and waterproof. It's expensive @69.00. But to be submersible to 2 meters is worth it to me. Plus it's on 13mm vs 9.5mm naked iPhone. Very slim.

I'm and otterbox fan, but the waterproofness of this case is tempting.

I have an iPhone and love it, I got my wife one, and she picked it up, the OS, with ease.

GPS:

I use two GPS programs on my iPhone. One for driving, one for running.

I paid $30 for Copilot Live for driving. It is as effective, as any Garmin or TomTom. It is very similar and has the same functions, bells and whistles as those stand alone products. It is a great product. I've used it driving to Houston, New Orleans, Florida, Louisville KY, rural West TN, AR and MS, without any loss of signal. It also has a walk function, but I have never used it.

iMapmyrun app. I've run trails here in Shelby County, out in rural areas of Lake County, it is as accurate as my buddy's Garmin Running GPS watch thing that he paid $300 for.

Whether the iPhone GPS system will work in the middle of the desert or on top of a mountain, or in the wilderness out west, I don't know, but It has worked all over the southeast.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"These are not the droids you are looking for.."

If it can't be said in this thread I may not get to squeeze it in this year.

Go to the store with your wife and let her play with the different live demo phones in person. They'll both do what you're looking for but the methodology is different between android & apple. For a first smart phone either will likely fulfill your needs. Unless you're going to spend a fair amount of time learning how to root/maintain a droid(which for a novice is statistically risky with a high brick rate) the iphone will give u higher performance out of the box. Unless you have specific applications for that you will probably just never realize the performance difference though. Worse case upgrade in 2 years to the latest hottest shiniest thinnest new joint. Have fun in the meantime but be sure u fully understand the data plan rate structure so u don't get screwed for overages. My wife uses twice as much data as me lookin at cute puppies and babies on facebook hah.

sent via EPIC4G SyndicateRomFrozen 1.2

Based on my experience, I think you will be satisfied with either phone. I'm somewhat of a techie and prefer the Droid. (mostly because i haven't taken the time to learn Apple's way of doing things) My wife who does not have a technical bone in her body started showing some interest in the iPhone and loves it. My oldest daughter who (like most of us) grew up with the Windows operating system on PC's. When she went to college, the school gave her a Mac Book that has both the Apple OS and Windows on it. She is equally comfortable with both, but if she has a choice, she uses the Apple stuff. She also has an iPhone. My youngest is somewhat technically challenged (not as bad as my wife) and loves her iPhone too.

Guest Lester Weevils

The big negative for me with the iphone is the requirement to use itunes. You have to get ALL of your apps through itunes. If you are already an itunes user, then this might be great. I prefer the Droid where an itunes account is not required and most apps are FREE.

I can't speak for the gps on the iphone, but the gps on my DroidX2 is spot on. I got a little turned around after tracking a deer at night (shot just before dark) last winter, and my Droid brought me right back to my truck. Also has voice turn-by-turn navigation when ur driving (iphone prolly does too)

It falls to personal taste but I don't care for iTunes either. I like devices which behave like an external hard drive and allow me to directly manage content on the device from the computer. Similarly I despise when I attach an external device to the PC and sometimes the PC notices an MP3 file on the device and wants to run Windows Media Player or run Sync to automatically "do me a favor" and automatically mess with the music content of the device. I wish both Apple and Winders would STOP doing me so many favors.

What kind of gps program do you run on your droid? Is it an online-dependent service or something that works just as good when off-the-network?

I got a Motorola Xoom a few months ago, lately been too busy to play with it much. I like it fine but purposely got the wifi-only version. Figure sometime will enable portable data access with a wifi data access point so I can connect any device to the internet away from home. I don't leave home very often however. :)

Just running google navigation on the Xoom makes a fabulous big-screen GPS but I don't know if there is a sure-fire way to ensure that the Xoom will download and cache enough online maps so that it will always be usable away from home without an internet connection. Who knows, there may be some place up on a mountain out in the woods without an internet connection, or a time where the internet is out because of emergency, and you still want to use GPS.

Searched and there are various "standalone" GPS programs that store maps on the device and don't need internet access, but it was difficult to determine if any of them are worth a dam. At least as good as Garmin maps on a Garmin GPS. I like my tiny Garmin legend fine, but it sure is neat to have a bright hi-res 10" display including Topo and Satellite images, as is available from google mapping when one has an internet connection. It would be nice to have the same capabilities without requiring a tether to the internet.

Guest WyattEarp

i have the Droid Incredible, the only thing I don't like about it is the battery life sucks, and I even bought an extended life battery (3500 mah) and the battery still doens't last that long, i have a program which shuts down the "bloatware that is included with the phone, so those apps aren't running", and only the services I need are open, but it still sucks battery life. I have to charge my phone at least twice a day, sometimes more.

Never used an iphone, but I have heard they are better on battery usage.

i have the Droid Incredible, the only thing I don't like about it is the battery life sucks, and I even bought an extended life battery (3500 mah) and the battery still doens't last that long, i have a program which shuts down the "bloatware that is included with the phone, so those apps aren't running", and only the services I need are open, but it still sucks battery life. I have to charge my phone at least twice a day, sometimes more.

Never used an iphone, but I have heard they are better on battery usage.

I "can" last all day on a charge, but it will be about dead by the end, I usually charge it during the day at my desk. I have a 3gs. The new 4S is suppose to have an even better battery life.

I have an iPhone 3gs and love it. I've never been a Mac guy and find no disadvantage to go between Windows and the iPhone. My son loves his Droid, but, frankly, it seems cheaply made compared to the iPhone. I carry mine in a Naztech Energy, which acts an an extended battery. Great phone that will do everything I could ever need and more.

I "can" last all day on a charge, but it will be about dead by the end, I usually charge it during the day at my desk. I have a 3gs. The new 4S is suppose to have an even better battery life.

When I had a 3GS, I had to turn off the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and sometimes the 3G radios when at work to keep them from using up my battery by constantly searching for a signal. If I forgot, I'd have to charge my iPhone on the way home.

Now that I have a iPhone 4 (not 4S), I still have 40% battery when I plug it up at bedtime.

FYI...I play video games, surf the Web, and watch YouTube constantly on smoke breaks and during lunch. Plus, I'm usually listening to tunes while working. I'd say I use this one even more than the 3GS and never turn off the radios and still have lots of battery left at the end of the day.

Big improvement by Apple, IMO.