possibly ripped off by a board member - how to proceed

I sent an item to a board member and they said the money was on the way. I didnt get the money but I do have a tracking number saying the item was delivered. I did get one reply saying that he was checking on it but have not heard anything since. How would you proceed with this?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if it went through the mail it CAN be construed as mail fraud, that's a federal offense. BUT since you mailed it first.....?

I'd go through a moderator first and try everything you can. Then, I'd ask David if he's okay with it and post the guys name and personal info. I bet one of us lives close enough to be a thorn in his side. Smearing the guy publicly is absolutely last resort tactics, but I would certainly do it before I let it go.

Guest coldblackwind

I had that happen (not on here) on some car parts once, but I mailed a money order and didn't get the parts. As it was a postal money order the bored guys at the post office actually got stoked and were looking forward to pressing postal fraud charges on the guy for something to do! As it turned out I did a little backchecking on the address, and called the number attached to it. Turned out I got the guys father, he had me send it to his dads plumbing business. I explained the situation to him and that there was the possibility of mail fraud charges and the address used was his. He was decidedly ticked, and said he WOULD take care of it, 2 days later I got the parts which I'm pretty sure the kid pulled off his own car 2 days before, lol.

I know a motorcycle mechanic too that a guy stiffed on a paintjob. He made a couple calls, then called the guy (who thought he didn't know any way to find him at all), at his house, and read him his name and address over the phone, nothing else. Got the $3500 the guy owed by the end of that week.

A volkswagen obsessed friend got stiffed on some parts he sold, found the guy at a swap meet, and started to just pick parts up. Guy said "hey, what are you doing?" His reply was, "I'm the guy you tried to stiff, this is mine, this is mine, this is mine, and I'm gonna take this for my time, if you have a problem with that theres a deputy standing about 50 yards that way, and I would be more than happy to explain the situation to him". Got his parts back, a couple extras, and never heard from the guy again.

Not sure that any of these will help, but a lot of the time the deals that go bad is because someone thinks you have no way to catch them at it. Do a little research and show them you aren't going to just let it drop and many times they will back down and send you what they owe you.

• Administrator

Go back to the thread where the deal was brokered and use the Report Post button beneath the post itself to report the thread to the moderating team. Explain what happened in the report and we will attempt to contact the individual. If they fail to remedy the situation, they will be banned from TGO. Depending on how expensive the item was, you may have certain legal options available to you as well such as filing a police report with their local PD and so-forth. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Go back to the thread where the deal was brokered and use the Report Post button beneath the post itself to report the thread to the moderating team. Explain what happened in the report and we will attempt to contact the individual. If they fail to remedy the situation, they will be banned from TGO. Depending on how expensive the item was, you may have certain legal options available to you as well such as filing a police report with their local PD and so-forth. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I sent him another email this morning. If he does not respond I will do the above. Thanks.