Straight Razor Sharpening

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about trying my hand a shaving with a straight razor. I am still in the research phase and am wanting to go with a vintage razor instead of buying new. Does anyone know where to have a razor professionally sharpened in the Nashville area?

Here is your best bet. Go to Straightrazorplace.com and join the forum. And ask there. Plus read the extensive wealth of info on straight razor shaving.

As I don't disagree with Jonnin, I will say that you should get it sharpened by a professional first, shave for six months, before buying the hones to sharpen yourself. You Want toake sure you enjoy the hobby before getting neck deep in stuff. Plus setting the bevel on a vintage razor can be laborious and if done wrong can make for a terrible shaving experience.

I just sent one of mine to Idaho to be sharpened. It's cheap but you have to wait and pay for shipping.

There are several adds on the classifieds/services on SRP that offer honing services.

Here is your best bet. Go to Straightrazorplace.com and join the forum. And ask there. Plus read the extensive wealth of info on straight razor shaving.

I would agree as I am a recent addition over at SRP.

I have recently started using a straight blade, I chose to pick up some vintage/Flea market finds to restore and practice honing prior to putting the one I need to use on a stone then my face after all I have just finally stopped butchering my face (well it's not that bad but there can be a lot of blood from a small nick).

I do enjoy the shave and it is better than any safety razor I have tried.

I will say I started with a disposable blade straight razor and it is not the same as a real blade.

Well happy and safe shaving and honing.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Badgerandblade.com is also a good resource to check out. I'm still using safety razors, and I can recommend them as a good jumping off point if you're not sure you're completely ready to commit to straight razors. You will get a much better shave than you do with a cartridge either way, though.

Sounds like I have a bunch more reading to do tonight. I will definitely check out the forums. Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk

No problem man. On SRP at the top there is a tab call Wiki. In there is a whole section on Beginners and what you should know. If you have any specific question PM me and I'll try to help you out. I'm a beginner in the straight razor world too and have asked the same questions you did.

I've been a member at Badger&Blade and Straightrazortalk for years. I've had to shave since the summer before 5th grade. Started using a straight razor at 16. I'll be 40 11/05. I used to have a buddy that helped me out there. Changed jobs in '05 and there's a guy in Hendersonville, I forget his name but he's good. He buys razors, sharpens them and sells them on ebay. If you do a search for razors using "Distance Nearest" he's the guy in Hendersonville.

I finally got good enough myself around '08. I use a Norton 4K/8K and one Japanese waterstone that's a 10K(?) I believe. My gym kinda outlawed them in the locker room so I have to use a DE in there. Plastic disposables or multi blades won't even pull thru my beard. I have a 5 o'clock shadow by 9AM and a 3 day beard by 5PM. My beard is the bane of my existence.

Brad

As I don't disagree with Jonnin, I will say that you should get it sharpened by a professional first, shave for six months, before buying the hones to sharpen yourself. You Want toake sure you enjoy the hobby before getting neck deep in stuff. Plus setting the bevel on a vintage razor can be laborious and if done wrong can make for a terrible shaving experience.

I just sent one of mine to Idaho to be sharpened. It's cheap but you have to wait and pay for shipping.

There are several adds on the classifieds/services on SRP that offer honing services.

That is a good plan, and as you said esp. if it is in bad shape to start out. Though I would recommend everyone have a decent set of sharpening stones, I guess not everyone does. I can't stand a dull knife, so I have always had a full set of rocks.