Remington model 597 .22

Hello,

I am looking for an economical "10-22" to go plink (slash survival rifle post SHTF).

I was in Dicks Sporting Goods today and they had a green synthetic stock Remington 597 for $189 (non-sale price). There was no scope mounted to the dovetailing but the clerk (who was very helpful with my first few inquiries) said it did come with one in the box. At this point, I was almost sold on the rifle but wanted to come home and check for any potential issues, the price of mags, etc.

I read one review on ImpactGuns for a version of the 597 that said go with the iron sights version because the scoped version does not have iron sights. Now I'm wondering if the 597 at Dick's did actually come with a scope, because most of the scoped guns had the scopes installed.

Anyone have any idea if it does/does not include a scope? It's about 30 minute drive each way. Also, any thoughts on this gun? For $189 for a semi-auto 10-22, seems pretty decent. I'd have more selection ordering online, but shipping+FFL. Or wil actual gun dealers normally order a gun that they don't stock for close to ImpactGuns or Buds price?

Thanks

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The normal green stocked 597 at Dick's does usually come with a scope. The ones I have seen there anyway. I owned one once and it shot well, no problems. Wish I had kept it as a knock around gun. If you have a choice, get the one with iron sights and get a better scope when you can afford it.

Where is TN do you live?

Dick's Sporting Goods - Every Season Starts At Dick's - Official Site.

I'll have to go to wal-mart and check out the 10-22s. I wanted to make sure I got something in semi-auto, mostly for fun, but also if I ever needed it shtf, lol.

How much are you talking by "decent" scope? What's the difference in the one that's on it and a decent scope, just brightness? Will the one that's on it serve well for now?

Sorry for the noob questions, I am a daily HCP carrier but am new to long guns.

Where is TN do you live?

I'm in Jackson and Murfreesboro (SE Nashville) both frequently.

Edited by Guest
....How much are you talking by "decent" scope?

A $30-50 "name" Chinese rimfire scope (Bushnell, Tasco, BSA) as opposed to the probably "unnamed" $10 Chinese scope that comes with it.

What's the difference in the one that's on it and a decent scope, just brightness?

Overall brightness, equal brightness over entire field, zoom or fixed power, mm of objective lens, parallex, ability to hold zero, fragility, etc.

Will the one that's on it serve well for now? ...

Maybe, shading toward probably.

- OS

Went to the local Wal-Mart.

They had a ruger 10/22 without scope for $237 + tax. They also had a Remington 597 with camoflauge synthetic stock and without scope for $167 + tax. After the $25 Remington rebate that makes the Remington $95 cheaper. Is the ruger really that much better? I'm not going to mod it out as it's a cheap gun anyway. I don't want to "throw money away" but if the two are essentially the same in their stock config, it'd be hard to justify an extra $95. The one downside I see is that the remington is limited to 10 round mags. But that $95 saved will buy a few mags, case, sling, etc.

Thoughts? And in the $30-scope ballpark, is anything at Wal-Mart worth buying, or can I get substanitally better quality for the same price buying online?

Thanks again

Edited by Guest
Went to the local Wal-Mart.

They had a ruger 10/22 without scope for $237 + tax. ...

Sounds like the stainless "Walmart Special model." Many have the basic carbine ("blued", actually "black painted") with wood stock for 199 or less. Although if that one was the stainless, that's a good price.

The thing about a 10/22 is that you don't have to mod it to TactiCool or somesuch, but you might well want to improve the trigger for accuracy down the road, or similar, and there are drop in parts available for stuff like that, but not so much for the Marlin.

If you just want the cheapest gun that works, get the Remmie (or the Marlin 60, probably even cheaper, good bit cheaper, maybe rebate works for Marlin too? -- tube fed, so no mags required).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I've got one just like you discribed. BIGGEST piece of S**T ever made. I've replaced the bolt and guide rods twice myself and had Gander Mountain replace them once under warranty! I've never shot a complete box of shells without something breaking. A Ruger 10/22 is the best 22 semiauto rifle ever made IMHO

Thanks for all the insight guys. Did some reading on other reivews/boards/etc too.

it looks like the general concensus is that the early 597's had some problems with the plastic mags and other parts. Apparently that has been fixed now (i.e. the zinc mags). It also looks like the Remington is more accurate due to the heavier barrel. And there are complaints about the small size of the Ruger, which would probably (/possibly) affect me as I am 6'2" and have gorilla-like arms.

Also, I see a 30-round mag is now available for the Remington (not just the Ruger). I realize that the Ruger has a pro in the fact that it has a lot of aftermarket parts available, but I really don't want to do much modding anyway. Right now I'm just looking for something on a budget to go out and plink and have fun, and be reasonably dependable.

At this point, I think I'll go with the camo 597 for $167 less the $25 rebate. I'm assuming the only difference in this 597 and the one at Dick's is the coloration of the stock, and that the one at Dick's includes a scope?

Thanks!

Guest Aces&8s

Go with the 597. I have one, the same Wally world version (I think I paid $137 for mine, though, several years ago), and it is an excellent gun. Check out rimfirecentral.com if you haven't already... there is a forum dedicated to the 597 in all of its variations. You can get some good info there, such as videos detailing how to strip it for cleaning, etc.

Thanks guys. When I get the 597 should I just got with a WalMart scope or can I get better scope online for the same money? I really want to go low-budget on this gun if I can.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. When I get the 597 should I just got with a WalMart scope or can I get better scope online for the same money? I really want to go low-budget on this gun if I can.

Thanks!

Some Walmarts carry some quite good scopes and some that are quite subpar.

Looks like it has both 3/8" built in scope groove ("dovetail") and tapped for Weaver rail mount? so you'll need to decide on type of rings, too. Some scopes come with rings, especially the small dovetail type. Some don't. Does the rifle come with Weaver mount also? If not, you'd need to get one if you want to use Weaver rings. Etc.

Since you're so hot to get cranking you might consider just grabbing it and shooting with the irons for a while and do more homework on scope, just a suggestion. Maybe start separate thread in Firearm Accessories forum re .22 scopes.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Well the wal-mart with the camo model w/o scope for $167 didn't have any NIB (just display models) so I went to the other Wal-Mart. They didn't have any on display, but had one in back, but couldn't tell me which one it was until the pulled it out of the warehouse.

It was gray synthetic stock with scope for $177. I figured I didn't care much about the camo stock, but that for $11 (10+tax) it'd be worth having the Remington 3-9x32 scope. It seems pretty bright indoors, but then this is based on no scope experience. Also got the 550 brick of remington .22 HP for my next trip to the range.

After I got the gun home, I realized that this model omitted the iron sights (sheesh). I'm not too happy about that, but I guess that explains the mere $10 price difference. I think this should still be a great gun for having fun at the range, on 5 or 10 bucks a trip.

Now to pick up a couple of the 10-rd mags and a 30-rd to try out.

I guess in retrospect I would have gone for the $189 model at Dick's that had iron sights and came with a scope.

How have you guys attached slings to your 597? I saw a couple of "screw-in" type for wood stocks online, and apparently someone used these on their synthetic 597. Anyone done this, and does it hold up over the long term with lots of use? I'll be looking for a pair of those and I guess a cheap 2-pt sling.

On the 30 round mags, I had trouble with the first 2 I tried which were the black plastic mags. Got them both from the same shop. After 2 trips back to the shop the owner swapped the black ones for a clear one and it has run fine ever since. I don't know what the differece was but that is what happen to me with the black mags. I found the 10 round mags on clearance last year at walmart for about a 1/3 of the normal price so I just loaded up on those. The 30 rounder is fun but I usally don't end up using it much.

Is it just a range gun for you.

If so there really is no reason to sling it.

If you stick a sling on it using swivels (name or whatever they are called) that go on the stock you will end up yanking them out.

Yes, mainly just a range gun, unless I took it out to look for small game, etc. Just thought it might be easier to carry with a sling. I saw a post somewhere out there where a guy put the thread-in (screw type) ring attachment points in his synthetic stock. There was no follow up with how it held up.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/98849-Putting-a-sling-on-a-Remington-597

Cabelas has a no-frills sling on sale for $7 I was looking at.

Cabela's: Winchester Nylon Sling

Edited by Guest
Guest jblan78

I have a Rem. 597. The camo, non-scoped one from Wal-Mart. It has been a good and accurate little gun. I did put a scope on it a few years back. Paid about $40 on it and it came with the mounts. I also got the hi-cap mag from remington. I think its a 30 rounder but it binds up with 30 so just put 26 or 27 in it. The iron sights are good to have incase you drop the gun, or something, and the scope breaks. The gun is still usable with the iron. I have a buddy with the Ruger 10-22 and its a good gun too. I like the feal of the Remington stock better and I was not looking to do any mods on a cheap .22, so I got the 597.