Park Bill not dead? HB0132

Very smart, but unfortunately you can't take you kids to places that they deserve to see and learn about. Tennessee has many natural resources from wildlife, rivers, lakes, mountains, etc that we and our children should have full access too and go see, and because you are not allowed to protect yourself and your children from the criminal element that is out there and prey on people in vulnerable areas, like parks, because they know they are "gun free" zones, you have decided not to take your family to these wonderful places because of the stupiddity and unwillingness of our "officials" to get their heads out of their.....well anyway.

Oops, sorry for the rant/ I have 4 kids and I hate this part of the law.

I agree..and that is a shame, especially coming to Tennessee from another state. Don't want to go unarmed.

Carrying firearms legally in state parks is allowed where I am from, as shown here:

4. Does my valid Concealed Pistol License allow me to carry a concealed pistol in a state park?

Yes. MCL 324.504 states that the DNR cannot promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits a ccw holder from carrying on property under the control of the DNR.

(This is in Michigan).

To me, there is no excuse as to why the state of Tennessee won't go for it in their state parks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. I really do not think that there is a need to carry a pistol onto a state park. This will just make things more difficult for our law enforcement rangers when dealing with upset guests, who sometimes are very drunk, and possibly armed.

Some parks have community service workers and even state prisoners that perform work for the site's benefit. It would be a shame should one of these folks break into a car that happens to have a pistol laying in the seat, or glove compartment.

wtf.gif

What I just stated is my opinion, and I stand by that. I can see right now that I made a mistake in joining this forum.

trolls.gifviolent073.gif

Guest TNParkRanger2

Being a NRA life member , Pro carry, Park ranger I get in a lot of discussions with Rangers across the state. From my conversations with them most of are very conservative and actually pro gun. The problem with the carry bill in state parks is not the fact people will have guns, because we all know they already have them. I've been asked several times if it was alright to have a gun in the park. I had to tell them no but at the same time I told them if they did have one to keep it out of sight and we wouldn't have a problem. I could probably get in some trouble for that.

Most rangers feel the same way about this. We mainly have a problem with a person who walking down the trail or in a campground who is armed walking up on a snake or any other wildlife they might deem as dangerous and discharging the weapon then and killing the animal. We all know this will happen if guns are truly allowed on parks.

People will have to realize that they are in a State park where these animals are protected and not to shoot the snake but alert any park staff and we will remove it correctly.

Finally, most state parks are like small cities on the weekends. People staying overnight in crowded campgrounds. We have one of the best safety ratings in the state for any city or county. Check the TBI stats our Park Rangers will deal with any problem that comes up. Yes there are a few and I mean very few murders, rapes that happen on state parks, most after the investigation find that the murder happened somewhere else and the BG thought a state park the best place to dump a body.

Being a NRA life member , Pro carry, Park ranger I get in a lot of discussions with Rangers across the state. From my conversations with them most of are very conservative and actually pro gun. The problem with the carry bill in state parks is not the fact people will have guns, because we all know they already have them. I've been asked several times if it was alright to have a gun in the park. I had to tell them no but at the same time I told them if they did have one to keep it out of sight and we wouldn't have a problem. I could probably get in some trouble for that.

Most rangers feel the same way about this. We mainly have a problem with a person who walking down the trail or in a campground who is armed walking up on a snake or any other wildlife they might deem as dangerous and discharging the weapon then and killing the animal. We all know this will happen if guns are truly allowed on parks.

People will have to realize that they are in a State park where these animals are protected and not to shoot the snake but alert any park staff and we will remove it correctly.

Finally, most state parks are like small cities on the weekends. People staying overnight in crowded campgrounds. We have one of the best safety ratings in the state for any city or county. Check the TBI stats our Park Rangers will deal with any problem that comes up. Yes there are a few and I mean very few murders, rapes that happen on state parks, most after the investigation find that the murder happened somewhere else and the BG thought a state park the best place to dump a body.

Thank you very much for contributing, sir, and providing a balanced perspective on this. I hope you will keep in touch with us, here.

We mainly have a problem with a person who walking down the trail or in a campground who is armed walking up on a snake or any other wildlife they might deem as dangerous and discharging the weapon then and killing the animal. We all know this will happen if guns are truly allowed on parks.

Finally, most state parks are like small cities on the weekends. People staying overnight in crowded campgrounds.

Those are legitimate concerns and should be addressed. But I have to think there is some middle ground that would allow those with a HCP to carry in the park and address the above concerns.

As you say there are apparently some guns being carried in the park already. Is the shooting of "threating" animals a problem now. Also isn't someone allowed to defend themselves from an attacking animal in any location and despite any "protected" status of the animal if they are in true fear of their life? But I do grant that after the fact it would be hard to prove or disprove if one was truly in fear.

I can see the line of thought, but if killing threatened wildlife is already illegal... the possession law in no way makes such a thing more illegal.

Punishing a possibility to be capable of causing harm to the park, visitors or wildlife makes no sense...

That would be like banning vehicles from State Parks because someone might get the idea to run over a snake, etc..., or do it unintentionally.

Guest canynracer
I can see the line of thought, but if killing threatened wildlife is already illegal... the possession law in no way makes such a thing more illegal.

Punishing a possibility to be capable of causing harm to the park, visitors or wildlife makes no sense...

That would be like banning vehicles from State Parks because someone might get the idea to run over a snake, etc..., or do it unintentionally.

nice smiley signature :P

Guest canynracer

These are all very valid points....but that still does not mean I shouldnt be able to protect myself from a bad guy....I can kill a snake without a gun....you said yourself that people already carry, is this a big prob now?

as a law abiding HCP holder, I would have to be hard pressed to shoot ANYTHING without having a damn good reason.

Not to mention, there are laws in place for that.

I don't see someone going through the trouble and the cost of a HCP and shooting at a snake,etc.I'm not buying it one bit!Theres snakes everywhere in TN,but do people with HCP's go around shooting at every snake?No!

I can understand the logic behind that,but you have to think about this stuff.Like I said it dont happen outside the parks,so why all of the sudden would it happen in the parks.

Am I the only one seeing the similarities here?

Parkranger-anti gun comments

TNParkRanger2-Not really anti,but has an anti reasoning behind statement

I wouldn't consider it anti reasoning so much as he has the interests and difficulties of his job to consider when weighing this issue, as it affect him. I agree that the root is indeed a misplaced distrust of HCP holders, but in reality there certainly are idiots out there who make us all look bad... and those are the ones who they usually get face-time with. Just like most of the LEO encounters folks hear about are the bad ones... bad news travels faster and farther.

I think it pretty bizarre that we aren't supposed to be able to protect ourselves in order to keep some idiot from shooting a snake. I called my park ranger buddies. They say there are plenty of snakes and yes they will arrest you if you shoot one in their park. :mad:

Their recommendation is to let the snake ho his way while you go around it. :D

The three murders I mentioned in my area involved drugs. But the reason doesn't really matter if you happen to stumble onto the scene at a bad time. A gun would be really handy.

Guest dotsun

The three murders I mentioned in my area involved drugs. But the reason doesn't really matter if you happen to stumble onto the scene at a bad time. A gun would be really handy.

Well then I think it's pretty obvious that we need to ban drugs in parks.

Guest db99wj

Parks in general on the west side of the state have only a few dangerous animals, the snakes that have been mentioned, a pissed off goose or swan and a mosquito or two. We have to worry about the 2 legged, standing upright type of danger, the rest is part of being out in wildlife.

Oh, for the most part, if you have time to shoot a snake, you have time to go somewhere else, if you are too close, you need to find a doctor. I fish up at Reelfoot lake and you don't want to cross a water moccosin in heat or pissed off (which is most of the time by the way!) In those situations you don't need to shoot either, or you will find your boat sinking!, a boat paddle works fine, oh and situational awarness, ie look in the trees, they will be on a limb that you grab and will fall in the boat with you, they will take over your boat and you will walk on water...

Guest db99wj
I'm so damn outdoorsy that I sicken myself. :mad:

I play with snakes and other critters most people would blast. That's probably illegal these days too....

But if you are a centipede or millipede, you are a goner.

Don't like the legs, eh.

I can handle spiders, if I see them, I can handle crickets, I put plenty on hooks for the kids, but we have these things, they are a mix between a spider and a cricket, I call them sprickets, some I have heard call them cellar crickets, the are the nastiest things, they are very fast and they pop when you step on them...really loud too:p

Guest db99wj

Oh, the snake thing, I watched, made the kids watch too, a snake eat a lizard last spring. It was the coollest thing... it was still cold so they were moving very slow but it was very fascinating.

i apologize if i missed this in the reading, but was the bill to be passed in state parks or national parks or both?? what were they aiming for? (no pun intended) did the bill make it to both houses or shot down in the house? there are valid arguments on both sides..i am just curious as to which "parks" they were trying to get is passed for...i can see it from a family's point of view for safety, and i am going on a limb saying that i would hope most people carrying would be responsible enough to not blast away a every animal on the trail or person that may look suspicious..but i myself do not worry about the animals way out on th etrails, but the two legged bother me some...fact of the matter is, i am an avid hiker and no even though i do have acarry permit i do not carry in the park via the law. however, i have come off of a long trail in the evening or at night and it is a little eerie..carrying would be a comfort...however, fact of teh matter is not every person is responsible...and being in my carry class last year listening to some people talk about whta they wou do blah blah blah..makes me wonder...are they looking for trouble, or being safe??? good valid points on both sides..tough decision...

Don't like the legs, eh.

At least not more than eight of them

I can handle spiders, if I see them, I can handle crickets, I put plenty on hooks for the kids, but we have these things, they are a mix between a spider and a cricket, I call them sprickets, some I have heard call them cellar crickets, the are the nastiest things, they are very fast and they pop when you step on them...really loud too:p

Those cave crickets are pretty nasty, but they are tolerable.

60739525_02bcbd8060.jpg

Fortunately I don't have them here. But my mother's place, 10 miles away, is crawling with them.

Spiders are my friend. Then again so are howler monkeys.

Edited by Marswolf
Federal parks are about to go under state carry laws. Not sure when it is goign to get passed but all indications are that it will.

I could be wrong...and that has seemed to be a trend lately, but I think it is two different things.

One I think there is a bill (in the federal legislature) that would specifically allow carry in National Parks regardless of state law.

The other is the person in charge of National Parks is proposing to change their regulations to allow carry based on state law. Sort of as compromise I guess.

The first a law would allow carry in all National parks, but the second a regulations change would still cause carry to be prohibited in National parks in some states, like TN.

Guest dotsun
At least not more than eight of them

Those cave crickets are pretty nasty, but they are tolerable.

60739525_02bcbd8060.jpg

Fortunately I don't have them here. But my mother's place, 10 miles away, is crawling with them.

Spiders are my friend. Then again so are howler monkeys.

Hah, I have an aunt (not ant) that absolutely hates those things. She won't go in my basement because I get a few every once in a while.

Guest jackdog

I hate every bill that comes down the pike. I hate that someone as the ability to tell us when and were we can protect ourselves. Self defense should never be a privilege.

Guest Grout
I hate every bill that comes down the pike. I hate that someone as the ability to tell us when and were we can protect ourselves. Self defense should never be a privilege.

I agree 110%.