Park Bill not dead? HB0132

Guest 270win

Are park rangers in TN not armed? If so, I find that very odd because, in most states, state park rangers are certified law enforcement officers. Being in the woods and parks alone, whether a park ranger or not, is out of the question for me. I never have seen a metal detector at a park and been in much closer quarters with people and never noticed with a handgun.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest price g

I read his post last night and thought it was April Fools joke and chose not to address his comment. Still think it is a joke.

Some people always go with their emotional argument without thinking about something logically. There is no danger from those who spent their time and money going to a class, waited at the drivers licence center and spent more money to go through a background check, probably more thorough than the background check a Park Ranger goes through, and waited months to get their permit to carry legally. All the predictions of shootouts and roadrage incidents between permit holders never happened and frankly, it's offensive to law abiding permit holders to be stereotyped as dangerous irresponsible people when in fact, we are probably more responsible and in control of our emotions and actions than the average person.

Now if I were a drug addicted thug, I wouldn't care at all that there was a law against carrying a handgun in a state park, I would rather have it that way because I know some family enjoying a weekend camp out in some isolated camping area would be easy victims to terrorize and mug with my illegal handgun. And I would know that there is very little chance of some Park Ranger leaving the Ranger station before they finish their coffee and donuts to show up and rescue them.

OOPS, did I stereotype Park Rangers? Hope that wasn't offensive.

Guest jcramin
What I just stated is my opinion, and I stand by that. I can see right now that I made a mistake in joining this forum.

SO what park do you work at ?

Some people always go with their emotional argument without thinking about something logically. There is no danger from those who spent their time and money going to a class, waited at the drivers licence center and spent more money to go through a background check, probably more thorough than the background check a Park Ranger goes through, and waited months to get their permit to carry legally. All the predictions of shootouts and roadrage incidents between permit holders never happened and frankly, it's offensive to law abiding permit holders to be stereotyped as dangerous irresponsible people when in fact, we are probably more responsible and in control of our emotions and actions than the average person.

Now if I were a drug addicted thug, I wouldn't care at all that there was a law against carrying a handgun in a state park, I would rather have it that way because I know some family enjoying a weekend camp out in some isolated camping area would be easy victims to terrorize and mug with my illegal handgun. And I would know that there is very little chance of some Park Ranger leaving the Ranger station before they finish their coffee and donuts to show up and rescue them.

OOPS, did I stereotype Park Rangers? Hope that wasn't offensive.

Unfortunately there has been a recent road rage case between two carry permit holders in FL. Really gave us a black eye and I know the Anti-Gunners are going to use that one day soon.

I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. I really do not think that there is a need to carry a pistol onto a state park. This will just make things more difficult for our law enforcement rangers when dealing with upset guests, who sometimes are very drunk, and possibly armed.

Some parks have community service workers and even state prisoners that perform work for the site's benefit. It would be a shame should one of these folks break into a car that happens to have a pistol laying in the seat, or glove compartment.

OK,what the law say about being armed in a state park?hows that working?Whats the law say about drinking in a state park?Hows that working?I wont even get into the fact there drunk and armed.

Then you talk about the prisoners,etc that are in the parks,Thats a damn good reason for a person to carry for self protection!

And just for the record.When people with a HCP can not carry in a certain place guess where the gun gets left.If this bill passed then in fact there would be less guns left in cars(duh!)

Now the thing that gets me most about your comment is you say how dangerous people in parks are,so why cant a law abiding person with their family be allowed to protect them selfs?

I think we have been invaded with by an anti

SO what park do you work at ?

I don't think he will answer, although he may lurk.

We are being punished because we think he's an idiot. or because he is a mindless anti.

Which means he is probably a gun-hating troll.

I have a couple of friends who are state park rangers. They think the current law is stupid too but dare not say so openly.

Guest GLOCKGUY

14104_164_laughing_1_1.gif

I don't think he will answer, although he may lurk.

We are being punished because we think he's an idiot. or because he is a mindless anti.

Which means he is probably a gun-hating troll.

Maybe we should go to a gun-grabber site and claim to be a park ranger who hates gun control?

That would be fun if there were any gun-grabber sites which were organized at all. Most of them consist of 2-3 people who have posted a handful of rant threads and then had no activity since 2003.

Most of the action is in the comments of related news stories... those are always fun :D

That would be fun if there were any gun-grabber sites which were organized at all. Most of them consist of 2-3 people who have posted a handful of rant threads and then had no activity since 2003.

I'm glad you are keeping up with them for me. :D

Obviously the law is to prevent patrons from discharging firearms in the park which would be a hazard to the many visitors. Some boob would probably take pot shots at wildlife, target shoot, or discharge their firearms for other non-good reasons. I am for and hope the law changes so we can carry in the parks, but there is going to have to be a penalty for causal discharge of the firearms.

Obviously the law is to prevent patrons from discharging firearms in the park which would be a hazard to the many visitors.

What if we just ban Glocks? :D

What if we do something radical like setting up shooting ranges in state parks?

Guest db99wj
Obviously the law is to prevent patrons from discharging firearms in the park which would be a hazard to the many visitors. Some boob would probably take pot shots at wildlife, target shoot, or discharge their firearms for other non-good reasons. I am for and hope the law changes so we can carry in the parks, but there is going to have to be a penalty for causal discharge of the firearms.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say, those would be the same ones that are probably doing that kind of stuff already. That they don't have permits anyway and are already breaking the law..... or as a Red Foreman would describe them as being a bunch of Dumbasssss!

That would fall under Reckless Endangerment, if someone were to indiscriminantly fire in a manner which put others at risk... and it applies everywhere, including parks.

The current law has nothing to do with the discharge of firearms, since that is already illegal... it simply restricts their possession.

Unfortunately there has been a recent road rage case between two carry permit holders in FL. Really gave us a black eye and I know the Anti-Gunners are going to use that one day soon.

And they wont bother to check the numbers of how many people have permits and how long they have had them, and compare crime rates of permit holders to any other group of that size.

Just my personal opinion on this: as a woman, I find it crucially important to be as armed as possible, especially if in the presence of children; not to turn down men, by all means-but what is the most common thing we all are hearing? Women being overtaken, raped, kidnapped, killed....by men. Women can be just as evil as men but I figure I have a more equal footing in hand to hand combat with another female vs. a male. As it stands, I won't go to any large, wooded parks if its just me and my children, especially being unarmed.

Guest db99wj
Just my personal opinion on this: as a woman, I find it crucially important to be as armed as possible, especially if in the presence of children; not to turn down men, by all means-but what is the most common thing we all are hearing? Women being overtaken, raped, kidnapped, killed....by men. Women can be just as evil as men but I figure I have a more equal footing in hand to hand combat with another female vs. a male. As it stands, I won't go to any large, wooded parks if its just me and my children, especially being unarmed.

Very smart, but unfortunately you can't take you kids to places that they deserve to see and learn about. Tennessee has many natural resources from wildlife, rivers, lakes, mountains, etc that we and our children should have full access too and go see, and because you are not allowed to protect yourself and your children from the criminal element that is out there and prey on people in vulnerable areas, like parks, because they know they are "gun free" zones, you have decided not to take your family to these wonderful places because of the stupiddity and unwillingness of our "officials" to get their heads out of their.....well anyway.

Oops, sorry for the rant/ I have 4 kids and I hate this part of the law.