Rutherford Co. Sheriff says ok to drive drunk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the same all over teh state. I have known police officiers to speed, reckless driving, driving drunk, etc... and all they have to carry is the badge in their wallet. If they get pulled over by a fellow officier even in another county they are given a pass. It is like an unspoken rule. Now I know that there are people who will say ' not on my watch' and I say good for you. However, it was my experience that there are officiers that do these things and expect to get a pass if caught. The problem is that they do it period.

The sad thing is that Arnold is elected... the Mayor should fire him I guess. Arnold had no problem when he was elected coming in and firing people left and right who he felt had done wrong, such as not working on his campaign, but seems to think this one's just fine and dandy.

Edited by BlackHawk93

During my classes in Police Science I've learned a lot about this kind of thing and it's troubling. More often then not, an officer who "rats" out another officer for doing something like say, illegal use of force, intentionally beating people during interrogations, that kind of thing, is usually the officer who gets fired. The officer actually perpetrating the wrongdoings might not even be reassigned, and will only be fired if internal affairs gets involved and finds out about everything. Not only that, but after firing the "rat" the chief, sheriff, whoever top dog is, will get on the phone to make sure the "rat" doesn't work for any other police force in the state, but will give a glowing review whenever he recieves a phone call about the officer in the wrong, and he will simply move to another department and continue his unacceptable behavior. I am not a fan of this in the slightest, I feel that law enforcement officers by definition should be beacons of law abiding behavior. Maybe my opinion will change when I become an officer, I don't know. But it just doesn't seem right that a problem is ignored and swept under the rug while the one who exposed the problem is dealt with the severity that should have been dealt to the offending officer.

Probably the sickest aspect of all this is the fact that the officer who was allowed to be driven home by daddy was a SRO. Anyone who is in frequent contact with our children and supposedly protecting them shouldn't be allowed to carry on like this. Breaking the law and getting away with it is no message to be sending to our kids. Arnold needs to do the right thing but wont. His true colors have just shown themselves...

The worse part of this entire ordeal is this

Fired State Trooper Will Not Face Criminal Charges - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Trooper Inman did not require Thomas to perform a field-sobriety test, did not give him a ticket, and the deputy was allowed to be driven home by his father, who is a Rutherford County Detective.

The deputy was suspended for five days without pay for speeding and was put on probation for six months.

Inman was fired for neglect of duty on October 27. Trooper Inman has the right to appeal his termination. There's no word yet on whether he plans to do so.

Inman was among the top ten Tennessee Highway Patrolmen honored for DUI enforcement in 2010. In a news release posted on THP's website, he's ranked fourth in the state for DUI enforcement, with 51 arrests made last year.

I guess professional courtesy only goes one way but I agree with the termination but there should be 3 people terminated and a new election for a sheriff in Rutherford county. We lost one good trooper and got to keep a turd....how's that fair?

So how is letting a suspected intoxicated driver who was traveling 99 mph (29 mph over the speed limit) looking out for public safety?

They both chime in with things like serving the people, best interest, public welfare and safety.

Putting all of those things at risk and claiming it is a professional courtesy?

That an officer has a lot of leeway in the field?

It’s a judgment call?

WTF! ;)

Your right it is based on judgment;

the judgment of a judge and or jury, not the officer in the field; not under circumstances like that.

Sad part is there is probably a raise and promotion in it for someone involved in it somewhere.;)

So how is letting a suspected intoxicated driver who was traveling 99 mph (29 mph over the speed limit) looking out for public safety?

They both chime in with things like serving the people, best interest, public welfare and safety.

Putting all of those things at risk and claiming it is a professional courtesy?

That an officer has a lot of leeway in the field?

It’s a judgment call?

WTF! :D

Your right it is based on judgment;

the judgment of a judge and or jury, not the officer in the field; not under circumstances like that.

Sad part is there is probably a raise and promotion in it for someone involved in it somewhere.:poop:

Definitely not for the trooper :D Maybe the Sheriff will promote himself to "Ultra Sheriff"

Despite the Trooper's prior history, the fact remains that the now, new, current Sheriff refuses to dismiss one of his deputies for driving 99mph intoxicated. An officer who is, sadly, entrusted to take care of our children should something go wrong at school. A deputy who makes such ridiculously stupid decisions as driving intoxicated and speeding should have his badge taken and fired, but Arnold thinks a 5 day vacation and probation is good enough. We all know if this were you or I we would be UNDER the jail and our license and freedom taken.

So should any officer who allowed an intoxicated person to be taken home by a sober ride be fired? What are they going to fire him for? Was he charged, no he wasn't so there is no evidence other than the tape where he says I've been drinking. Do I agree with 5 days? absolutely not I would have done a lot more and maybe even fired him myself. I believe we as LEO's are to be held to a higher standard but don't assume he or anyone else should lynched up from a tree. There has to be fine line between the off duty and on duty accountability.

So should any officer who allowed an intoxicated person to be taken home by a sober ride be fired? What are they going to fire him for? Was he charged, no he wasn't so there is no evidence other than the tape where he says I've been drinking. Do I agree with 5 days? absolutely not I would have done a lot more and maybe even fired him myself. I believe we as LEO's are to be held to a higher standard but don't assume he or anyone else should lynched up from a tree. There has to be fine line between the off duty and on duty accountability.

I have to somewhat agree...

I am more upset with the Sheriff and the FOP president for trying to excuse than the deputy who did it. We all make mistakes, he made one. He should have also been ticket and/or incarcerated for his actions instead of just a suspension. But at least he has "paid", although mildly for his actions. But those making excuses, have no excuse.....

It is the same all over teh state. I have known police officiers to speed, reckless driving, driving drunk, etc... and all they have to carry is the badge in their wallet. If they get pulled over by a fellow officier even in another county they are given a pass. It is like an unspoken rule. Now I know that there are people who will say ' not on my watch' and I say good for you. However, it was my experience that there are officiers that do these things and expect to get a pass if caught. The problem is that they do it period.

That's one thing I can say good about former MNPD Chief Serpas. When they called him about his son being stopped for a DUI he said "Why are you calling me? Do your job." and hung up on him.