Curious trade I made today

graycrait

I traded my S&W M&P 9L with Apex trigger and two sets of aftermarket sights including Trijicon night sights and Warren tactical rear w/HiViz front sight.

I got: 1) 5000 sealed rounds of Centurian 40grain LRN 1250 FPs ammo; 2) 95%+ Taurus 62 pump tube fed .22 rifle and 3) 95% condition 1979 blued 6" Dan Wesson, Monson, MA, 15-2 .357.

I am currently in negotiation with a third party for used 2 & 4" DW blued DW barrel assemblies and have a friend who makes DW revolver parts. CZ still markets parts that will work on this model.

I have worked on DW revolvers before but didn't class them as Ruger durable or S&W elegant. However, after doing more research before the trade the DW revolvers can squeeze some pretty good accuracy out of the revolver world. One of these DW revolvers in .22LR would be way cool.

DW6in357Monsoncirca1979.jpg

Edited by graycrait
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a DW 15-2 pistol pack from 2"-15" for over 30 years. There are the most accurate revolver I have ever shot.

I bought a 2" barrel from the new CZ Dan Wesson and had to pay to have it turn down and re threaded to get it to work.

The finish was not up to the Monsan , Mass guns.

This company makes some nice barrel's and are priced right. EWK Arms

R1100R,

Eric of EWK Arms is a friend of mine, pen pal at least. I've got some feelers out for used 2" "orig" DW barrel assemblies right now that may bear fruit soon. If that doesn't work I will get one or two barrels from EWK and will surely get some of EWKs other DW products. EWK is out of barrels right now but will have another run sometime in the future. The grips on this 15-2 are too big for anything practical to me so EWK sent me this url: lbcustomgrips.com. It isn't coming up this morning but was working last nite - maintenance maybe.

I won't be selling mine as I think I have "drank the Kool-Aid." I can see several DW revolvers in my future.

Thanks for the warning about the CZ DW barrels. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.5" on their website last night in my haste, but backed off when it seemed likely I can get one with patience locally or from EWK when there are more available.

Craig

Edited by graycrait
R1100R,

Eric of EWK Arms is a friend of mine, pen pal at least. I've got some feelers out for used 2" "orig" DW barrel assemblies right now that may bear fruit soon. If that doesn't work I will get one or two barrels from EWK and will surely get some of EWKs other DW products. EWK is out of barrels right now but will have another run sometime in the future. The grips on this 15-2 are too big for anything practical to me so EWK sent me this url: lbcustomgrips.com. It isn't coming up this morning but was working last nite - maintenance maybe.

I won't be selling mine as I think I have "drank the Kool-Aid." I can see several DW revolvers in my future.

Thanks for the warning about the CZ DW barrels. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.5" on their website last night in my haste, but backed off when it seemed likely I can get one with patience locally or from EWK when there are more available.

Craig

There are some snubbie barrels on Gunbroker right now. The one I got from CZ gave me a fit. I got John Wall at Eastside Gunshop to straighten it out. I am going to get a fiber optic front from your bud Eric. I have the Hogue grip on mine which works great.

The factory combat grip works well also (Ebay). BTW all the factory grips are large except the combat (finger grove). If I find my camera (Little Girl stashed it ) I will post up some photos.

You run across the most interesting gun trades and this one is a fine example, I guess you've written off the M&P pistol trial again. I always thought the DW wheel guns should have done better than they did and felt it was a managment problem and not a product failure.

TNWNGR,

I gave the S&W M&P a trial, twice. I am done with them. The Dan Wesson revolver on the other hand has me very interested right now. I've drank from the fire hose of Dan Wesson info the last several days. Unbeknownst to me is that a gun parts manufacturer friend of mine is a DW revolver expert. He makes and markets DW revovler parts including barrels and shrouds in a heavier format than the originals, but attach just like the old ones. He also makes sights, parts kits, etc. My first experience with DW revolvers had me thinking that they were a little hinky in design compared to Ruger and S&W, but I have revised that notion now that I am more familiar with a number of gun designs. There has to be a good reason that not only is the design strong but is very accurate if the barrel is gapped and tensioned correctly, neither of which is difficult. Dan Wesson left S&W to produce his revolutionary pistol design. It is good that CZ is once again making the DW revolver design. I don't plan on getting a CZ-made DW revolver, but I can't say never as long as the option exists. I'm going to try different barrel lengths and try to find a .22LR DW revolver.