$100 Acog?....we will see!!!

Purchased a Firefield 2.5-10x40 at the gunshow this weekend for $100. I did a little vid review on my YouTube page of it last night. Didn't know if anybody had experience with them? It has the setting for 100-500yds. I was able to use my .223 laser bullet thingy to get it somewhat sighted in, but am still waiting to take it to the range. I really like how you can adjust the color and brightness of the crosshairs for low light situations. I will keep everybody posted on the quality and how everything holds up!

I've also seen them for sale on Amazon for around $100.

a6937e8d-c1e4-6c4b.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone expects these ACOG-ish devices to truly match up to the real thing, but for a range toy or light use I hear they work pretty well. I've got another brand of one in a box upstairs. I bought it and then got a great deal on an Eotech and ended up never using it on my AR. I may slap it on my AK one day just to see how well it works. Let us know how yours works out.

• 1 month later...

let us know how this thing holds up! I've been looking for something to just throw on top of my new ar...might even use it got hunting...they have some in sportsman's guide that has a built in red laser and one with a green laser...

• 2 weeks later...

A few years back there was a friend who got his hands on a airsoft ACOG. It was one of the 4x ones with the BDC reticle and no illumination. They tried it with 62 grain bullets and were right on the money out to 600 yards with a 16" carbine. They fired a bunch of rounds and when it kept zero they decided to step it up a few notches.

They put it on a FA AR and fired a few hundred rounds without issue. Next they put it in a 7.62x51 rifle and after a few hundred rounds it still held zero. Even after a number of FA mag dumps with the 7.62x51 it was still holding up just fine.

Last I heard it was still being used and abused without a single issue. If I recall correctly they paid $125 for it about 5 years ago. Here is one similar:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a6fb00e6e

There are a few "clones" I have wanted to try. The biggest one is the Elcan Spectre replica for $200. They make them with the 1x-4x and look pretty good.

Dolomite

A few years back there was a friend who got his hands on a airsoft ACOG. It was one of the 4x ones with the BDC reticle and no illumination. They tried it with 62 grain bullets and were right on the money out to 600 yards with a 16" carbine. They fired a bunch of rounds and when it kept zero they decided to step it up a few notches.

Dolomite

Man, I'd really like to give that a try but I'm afraid the other kids will make fun of me!

TLRMADE,

Any test results for this sight?

I was looking at a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot, but now this is intriguing. My only concern (for my taste) is that 2.5x would be a bit much for close-quarters in a defensive situation. For the range, the 2.5-10x is probably perfect. So just a tradeoff I guess.

I was looking for more info on these guys (Firefield), and Google turned up this $35.00 Red-dot that they make as well. http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU600&object-menu6

Seems like a decent made scope for range use. I may pick on of these up. I did some google searching and most all reviews were positive in terms of the optics, pretty unanimous that the laser was pretty worthless, hard to adjust, underpowered, etc. - but that isn't why I would be buying the scope.

Seems like a decent made scope for range use. I may pick on of these up. I did some google searching and most all reviews were positive in terms of the optics, pretty unanimous that the laser was pretty worthless, hard to adjust, underpowered, etc. - but that isn't why I would be buying the scope.

My touch pad for my laser didn't even fit the laser but the optic is good

Man, I'd really like to give that a try but I'm afraid the other kids will make fun of me!

Paint it tacticool tan and no one would be the wiser.

I have always said it doesn't matter who made it and how much it doesn't cost as long as it is reliable for its purpose. I had people I worked with use Truglo red dots and they took a lot of grief but those Truglo optics were more reliable than the Eotechs we were issued.

Dolomite