4" vs 5" Barrel 1911

Guest Law of Thirds

Guest Law of Thirds

I'm looking towards purchasing my first handgun in the close future and while I've decided on a 1911 because the grip is very good, the controls can be made ambidextrous (Lefty :)) and overall I believe it's a very solid and dependable gun.

I'm going to want to use this gun for general practice, possibly IPDA (that looks like a blast) and as a concealed firearm when I get my HCP.

However, I've got a couple questions that y'all might have the answer to. And even if you don't, advice is always welcome.

What kind of loss of accuracy/velocity can one expect between a 4" and 5" barrel? Assuming all other things are equal.

As a lefty, I'm going to want an ambidextrous thumb safety. Is it better to shell out the extra money at the initial purchase for something like a springfield loaded vs their GI model? I will eventually want a fixed novak/heinie sight on the gun. Also, I am on a student's budget so spreading the cost out would really help if I can get a similar overall price.

Is there a significant difference in wear characteristics between a lightweight frame and a steel frame? I know the LW will be easier to carry and harder to shoot but is it really that big of a difference in a 4" barrel?

I'm looking at kimber, springfield and taurus right now as manufacturers. Is there any other companies worth looking at? I'm really wanting a forged slide/frame.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-steel frames can be a bit less durable, since the forward momentum of the slide returning to battery is concentrated at the webbing of the slide-stop pin, it needs to be strong.

4" and 5" guns will be equally precise, mechanically... it's just easier to shoot a gun with a longer sight radius, and more weight at the muzzle. Concealability might be a concern for the longer gun, but generally the hardest portion of a handgun to conceal is the grip.

Velocity loss from a 4" barrel vs. a 5" barrel is negligable for defensive purposes, but 10% loss is in the ballpark.

The biggest concern for shorter-than-original-design 1911s is reliability, but as long as the gun was properly put together and tuned, it should be fine.

It's going to depend on your particular needs/wants. Are you going to carry the 1911? If so you might want to look at the commander size 1911s like the Kimber CDP Pro

The Kimber 4 inch are fine guns. I've run through several classes with mine and had no problems. I'm not sure with the velocity difference with an inch shorter barrel but my Pro series Kimbers are more accurate than I am

Do what you can to get the ambi factory installed. It's just easier.

Do what you can to get the ambi factory installed. It's just easier.

Whats the fun in that?I would dretter do it myself + save a few coins in the process.

As far as 4 or 5 inch,it wont make a difference,but IMO whats a 1911 without a 5 inch barrel:)

I have a Taurus 1911 and there vewy nice.It shoots great,Its more accurate than I am:mad:

The Springfield I hear is a great one but not for a students budget.

And I also hear the Kimbers are nice,but I also hear allot of people having trouble out of them

Guest durdensfriend
generally the hardest portion of a handgun to conceal is the grip.

+1

The grip is the hardest thing to conceal... I'm considering doing a bobtail on my new Springfield to help out with this.

I'm jonesing for a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander 10mm myself... have been for awhile. I've been shooting so many nice 1911s lately that I am tempted to give in and sacrifice my plastic pistols to appease JMB (may he rest in peace).

I'm going to go drool on one later today... to be sure, nothing good will come of it.

Guest Crunchman

I carry a 3" Kimber CDP II Custom and I'm accurate with it up to about 15 yds. My groups will be in the black, but spread out 6" to 8". For 15 to 25 yds. I go with my Taurus PT1911 or my Colt 1991A1. Groups with those pistol will be 2" to 4" if I do my part right. I can conceal any of 'em fairly well, but I carry the Kimber to cut down on the weight.

Guest atomemphis

I have a 4" 1911 - a Kimber Pro CDP II. The length would be an issue in a 5" because you are adding a light bit more weight to an already all metal gun (Kimbers often have aluminum frames to lighten them up a bit) and the barrel length can be intrusive when trying to sit occasionally.

I love the looks of the 5" 1911. I think it is beautiful. But for carry I got the 4" full size frame 1911.

If you have loads of money, get a custom-maker's 1911 with a bobtail. Ed Brown or Nighthawk Customs come to mind. If you got loads of money, they are beautiful, easy to conceal and, hell, the NHC guns can have two-color tritium night sights (front green, rear yellow)

With the 4" barrel, I'm darn accurate, and don't even bother worrying about the shortness of the barrel affecting the bullet speed or aim. It puts mighty large .45 caliber holes in things - they do, however, make 1911's in 9mm which I hear is fantastic.

Guest Law of Thirds

Thank you for the input, I think I've narrowed my choices down to two routes:

Either a taurus 1911a1 (is the rail worth getting if I really don't plan on getting a light/laser except maybe for the home defense role?) or a Springfield GI 1911a1. I like the feedback I've seen here and other places (reviews, other user results, personal testimony) from the springfield and the made in America bit is more to my liking....but....the taurus has all the bells and whistles that I want with the exception of the full length guide rod (I don't want one.)

I'm mechanically adept but I don't think I could recontour a frame to fit a beavertail safety or cut a dovetail for novaks and if I go with the springfield I would want those things done at some point.

Guest REDDOG79

I wish that I would have done this with my Kimber as the nights sights factory installed are a much cheaper option than buying a set and having them installed. Get the options you want on the pistol when you buy it.

Guest flyfishtn

I will say this, I love my Springfield 1911a1. Shoots like a champ, easy to maintain and they stand behind their guns if something was to happen.