HDTV -WAY off topic...

Guest Len

Went with the GF yesterday as she shopped for a new washing machine. (I have NEVER seen anyone so excited about getting a new washer...) Anyway, as she was doing the paperwork with the sales person, I wandered over to the big screen TVs & started talking with the sales dude. (Seemed like this guy actually knew what he was talking about -which is not so common these days!

Long story short, I came "this close" to plunking down 2k for the big HDTV. Realization of the huge income tax bill I have looming April 17 kept me from whipping out the 'ol credit card, but it did get my mouth watering.

So, my question to y'all: Anyone have one of these HDTVs and do you really see a big improvement over the old-fashioned low-rez tube TV? I have DirecTV, so would also have to upgrade my satellite receiver and DVR box if I wanted to get HDTV signals, so we are talking major investment here. If I'm gonna shell out the big bucks, I want big returns on my investment.

Thoughts?

-Len

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

I have an HDTV tube TV. I have comcast. I spent around $700 for a 32" at Sam's. That is the biggest size that will fit in my stupid entertainment center. Anyway, at first I could tell a difference, the colors were better, little better quality but not that big of difference. Had it for 6 or 8 months, I can instantly tell when it is not in HDTV. I'm happy with it, some of the stuff on discovery and what not are out freak'n standing. don't ask any technical stuff, because I'm not the one to ask. I know my tv is a Phillips and it has 1080i.

I still think the DVR part is one of the top inventions.

Guest Hyaloid

We have a Sony SXRD... H... U...G...E difference between HDTV and regular. We bought the HD NFL Package, and I couldn't bear to watch games that weren't broadcast in HDTV, after seeing the ones that were.

Guest db99wj

Well it is definitely something to start considering, the analog signal is going to be gone soon and you will soon need at least a digital capable tv or converter. Might as well spring for the HDTV. Let me restate what I said earlier, before I got it, I couldn't tell that much difference, mostly what I saw was in stores. All I saw was HDTV on that TV. I bought one, now I can see, HDTV and non HDTV on the same tv and the difference is amazing. I just wish my other tv would have held on for another year, prices have dropped a crap load in the last 7 or 8 months.

Guest jackdog

For the most part I don't watch the dam things, I prefer to read or mess around with wood working or custom leather work. But Db does have a good point about the analog signal, And that qould certainly make the other shooter in the house happy.

Jackdog

Thanks everyone. Some good comments. I've done some research on my own and am convinced I will have a HDTV by sometime this summer. (Summer is usually when I have the most disposable income, and the most time to watch TV.) Looks like I'll get something between 40-46", most likely 42" unless prices drop a good chunk more (they are supposed to continue down for a while, the spike back up once the analog deadline date hits.) I have also realized that I'll need a new entertainment center (db feels my pain on that one), new HD satellite box (with DVR) and maybe a new dish. Nothing's cheap or easy anymore... Plus I gotta get my AR15 this year. Dang, I better go out and earn some $.

-Len

Guest db99wj
T.......... I have also realized that I'll need a new entertainment center (db feels my pain on that one), .......

-Len

If you only knew how many times I measured that hole and mumbled things my kids didn't need to hear:down:

Thanks everyone. Some good comments. I've done some research on my own and am convinced I will have a HDTV by sometime this summer. (Summer is usually when I have the most disposable income, and the most time to watch TV.) Looks like I'll get something between 40-46", most likely 42" unless prices drop a good chunk more (they are supposed to continue down for a while, the spike back up once the analog deadline date hits.) I have also realized that I'll need a new entertainment center (db feels my pain on that one), new HD satellite box (with DVR) and maybe a new dish. Nothing's cheap or easy anymore... Plus I gotta get my AR15 this year. Dang, I better go out and earn some $.

-Len

keep an eye on the 1080i prices, they are going to drop as the 1080p's take over. right now the only way yuo can get a 1080p res is through bluray or HDDVD. 1080i is what most HD broadcasts are in, 720p is pretty much obsolete now. but since 1080p is so huge right now, everbody is dropping the big money for those and the 1080i's are dropping. panasonic, sharp aquos, hitachi, samsung, you can pick up 42" plasmas 1080i for $1300-$2000 right now, good luck and get a warranty

Guest Archimedes

HD is better, but I don't watch enough TV.

Except for late-night screenings of Tombstone or Full Metal Jacket, I hardly watch it.

~Archi