Unitrin Home Owners Insurance now asks if Handguns are owned by any Family Members

Guest m4coyote

Guest m4coyote

My wife and I have been shopping for cheaper rates on Home Owners insurance, and she happened to call Unitrin Insurance for a quote. One of the first questions that the sales agent asked was "Does any house hold member own or carry any type of handgun?" My wife replied that it was none of their business, and he replied that if we did, that it was grounds for disqualification.

Are the insurance companies now getting in on the anti bandwagon?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USAA includes a couple thousand dollars worth that can be increased.

Some of them are probably anti and they also might be looking at liabilities of if the home owner actually has to use it or accidentally uses it and they get hit with a large claim.

This is why the protection from civil suits is way important.

It isn't an anti-gun thing. It is just a question of statistical liability. I assume homes where handguns are maintained are X times more likely to incur claims than ones that arent. Same thing with swimming pools. If you have certain kinds of dogs, that will affect rates as well.

Try Tennessee Farm Bureau. I have been a member for around 30 years. They have $1500 firearms insurance without asking on your homeowners, more if you want it. Great insurance co.

Diana Crawford runs Ace Insurance Services in Ky. Look her up on the Web. She is a shooter, and is one of us. I have my Firearms Trainer insurance through her. She has really good rates for your working guns and a great deal for Safe Queens.

Alas, I'm not a farmer. :D Just kidding, I have TFB and they rock. :)

Except for the firearm coverage, told me they would cover up to 2 gun for a max. of 500 each. Guess I need to contact my agent again.

Try Tennessee Farm Bureau. I have been a member for around 30 years. They have $1500 firearms insurance without asking on your homeowners, more if you want it. Great insurance co.

They told me no extra coverage. Maybe you can look up your policy and give me the "section" that they wrote your extra rider coverage on?