Need help choosing an EDC Gun

dbla

I had been carrying a Kel Tec PF9, I liked the gun but I had problems being a lefty with dropping the mag after each shot. So now I'm looking for something different, and I have a slightly better budget this time around. So far I have been considering the Glock G36 and the Walther PPS.

My top priorities are slimness in the waistband (I'm pretty set on a single stack, unless you can convince me otherwise), recoil, and reliability. I'd prefer to be able to use whatever I wind up with in an IDPA context as well so I have the opportunity to train in real life(ish) scenarios.

Has anyone had any experience with the G36 and/or the PPS that could chime in? I'm perfectly fine carrying either a 9mm, or a 45. I'm not particularly interested in picking a .40 just because I don't want to add a third caliber to my collection just yet.

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. :up:

-Aaron

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you would be better served by either a g19 or g30sf. I think they are a little more versatile. I had the g36 and did have some feeding issues. It did shoot well though other that a few failure to feeds here and there. I do not shoot competitions but would think you might want the extra capacity of the g19. I am a thin guy and wear tighter t-shirts but found the g36 not to be that much of a advantage in concealability. I'm a lefty too so I favor gen4s.

dont own either but the PPS is suppose to be one of the best feeling guns out there. Alot of people claim the ergonomics of them are amazing. The magazine release location on the PPS will definately solve youre problem of unintentionally dropping mags. i say shoot them both and see which one feels best. The PPS is the thinner and lighter of the two but i dont think it would be a noticeable difference.

I had been carrying a Kel Tec PF9, I liked the gun but I had problems being a lefty with dropping the mag after each shot. So now I'm looking for something different, and I have a slightly better budget this time around. So far I have been considering the Glock G36 and the Walther PPS.

My top priorities are slimness in the waistband (I'm pretty set on a single stack, unless you can convince me otherwise), recoil, and reliability. I'd prefer to be able to use whatever I wind up with in an IDPA context as well so I have the opportunity to train in real life(ish) scenarios.

Has anyone had any experience with the G36 and/or the PPS that could chime in? I'm perfectly fine carrying either a 9mm, or a 45. I'm not particularly interested in picking a .40 just because I don't want to add a third caliber to my collection just yet.

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. :poop:

-Aaron

Of the two with your requirements I would go with the PPS. The G36 will not give you any advantage over the kel tec you have now being that it is setup for a right handed mag release.

I'd prefer to be able to use whatever I wind up with in an IDPA context as well so I have the opportunity to train in real life(ish) scenarios.

IDPA is not training. Not even remotely close.

Mike

My next carry gun will be the PPS. I would have got it right off the bat but I need something VERY concealable for work and my TCP fits that roll.

I figure the PPS will be a nice addition to my P22.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I am leaning more and more towards the PPS. It's got great functionality, reliability, and firepower (imo). The issue I find is the crazy Mag costs... but I can get over that, I only need a few. It's also got the that third kinda cool with all the German markings and what not. Nothing wrong with a carry piece you like to look at too.

I had been carrying a Kel Tec PF9, I liked the gun but I had problems being a lefty with dropping the mag after each shot. So now I'm looking for something different, and I have a slightly better budget this time around. So far I have been considering the Glock G36 and the Walther PPS. My top priorities are slimness in the waistband (I'm pretty set on a single stack, unless you can convince me otherwise), recoil, and reliability. I'd prefer to be able to use whatever I wind up with in an IDPA context as well so I have the opportunity to train in real life(ish) scenarios.Has anyone had any experience with the G36 and/or the PPS that could chime in? I'm perfectly fine carrying either a 9mm, or a 45. I'm not particularly interested in picking a .40 just because I don't want to add a third caliber to my collection just yet.I appreciate any feedback you can offer. :D-Aaron
The new beretta nano is a lot like your pf9 and the mag release is reversible. Its exactly what you are asking for. I hate the trigger, its more like a DAO than a striker so far (still breaking it in), but you should give it a long hard look from what you are saying here. If you are near chattanooga, the sportsmans warehouse has them in 2s and 3s every week or so, and if you came down you could look at mine. It only holds 6 in the mags so its not optimal for winning IDPA, but with 3 or 4 mags you could certainly use it for both the regular and probably the BUG matches. I am a lefty and I recommend it... no slide release to worry about, no safety, the only control is the reversible mag drop and YOU can do that without a gunsmith. Edited by Jonnin
The new beretta nano is a lot like your pf9 and the mag release is reversible. Its exactly what you are asking for. I hate the trigger, its more like a DAO than a striker so far (still breaking it in), but you should give it a long hard look from what you are saying here. If you are near chattanooga, the sportsmans warehouse has them in 2s and 3s every week or so, and if you came down you could look at mine. It only holds 6 in the mags so its not optimal for winning IDPA, but with 3 or 4 mags you could certainly use it for both the regular and probably the BUG matches. I am a lefty and I recommend it... no slide release to worry about, no safety, the only control is the reversible mag drop and YOU can do that without a gunsmith.

Interesting... I may see if I can find one to take a look at. How's the recoil? Similar to the PF9 or more controlled?

Guest dubaholic2

thing about the nano is the grip is so short it feels like it would jump out of your hand when shot. just an opinion from someone who has fondled them, but hasnt shot one.

thing about the nano is the grip is so short it feels like it would jump out of your hand when shot. just an opinion from someone who has fondled them, but hasnt shot one.

Yeah... that's my concern. A hogue grip might fix that but still. The Walther felt great in the hand, I just don't think I'd be able to fine one to fire before I bought one.

Guest twpayne75

My wife carries a CW9 and loves it. If on a budget, which she was not but just actually preferred it to everything else she tried, I recommend the CW9. I had a PPS and regettably sold it. It is the best carry pistol I have had to date. And I have tried more than I care to admit. I have never fired a better feeling or more accurate compact pistol. A few of the people I let fire it that were not so great shots, it made them look like rock stars. Only problem I had with it is it will ruin you for everything else. It made my Sigs feel extremely fat after getting used to the PPS.

0417111426a_01.jpg

It doesn't get any more concealable than this.

IMG_0100.jpg

My wife carries a CW9 and loves it. If on a budget, which she was not but just actually preferred it to everything else she tried, I recommend the CW9. I had a PPS and regettably sold it. It is the best carry pistol I have had to date. And I have tried more than I care to admit. I have never fired a better feeling or more accurate compact pistol. A few of the people I let fire it that were not so great shots, it made them look like rock stars. Only problem I had with it is it will ruin you for everything else. It made my Sigs feel extremely fat after getting used to the PPS.

It doesn't get any more concealable than this.

Thats what I'm looking for. I think once a invoice pays out I'll be picking up a PPS. I've always wanted a James Bond gun.

IDPA is not training. Not even remotely close.

Mike

Not everybody can HALO jump from 75 miles up into the ocean, SCUBA in 12 miles in 30 foot seas, stop the propeller of an enemy destroyer with their bare hands, climb the hull of it unaided, and take out the entire 12,000 man crew with nothing but a finger nail file and a rubber band.

Any time you take your gun out of your holster and punch a hole in paper, it's training. There is more than one kind and countless levels of training, including IDPA and similar competitions. It's not realistic to expect that everyone would spend every weekend at Tactical Killers Training Academy so you have to fill in gaps with something. At IDPA you shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, utilize cover, perform reloads and immediate action drills for instance. How exactly is that not even remotely close to training?

Not everybody can HALO jump from 75 miles up into the ocean, SCUBA in 12 miles in 30 foot seas, stop the propeller of an enemy destroyer with their bare hands, climb the hull of it unaided, and take out the entire 12,000 man crew with nothing but a finger nail file and a rubber band.

Any time you take your gun out of your holster and punch a hole in paper, it's training. There is more than one kind and countless levels of training, including IDPA and similar competitions. It's not realistic to expect that everyone would spend every weekend at Tactical Killers Training Academy so you have to fill in gaps with something. At IDPA you shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, utilize cover, perform reloads and immediate action drills for instance. How exactly is that not even remotely close to training?

+1

Interesting... I may see if I can find one to take a look at. How's the recoil? Similar to the PF9 or more controlled?

The recoil is not too bad. Probably less than the pf9 as the gun is a bit heavy for its size, or seems to be. The grip would be a problem for someone with very large hands, it does not bother me at all. I expect extended grip mags within a year, no one has said anything but it really, really needs that option.

IDPA is training, of sorts. You learn reloads and speed, cover, as you said. You also learn bad habits, such as rushing in and killing everything in sight and likely getting your stupid ass shot off for your troubles, if you did that for real. The game is all about rushing in and taking the fight to your multiple armed enemy.... with a pistol.

Edited by Jonnin