Georgia on their way to handgun carry in restaurants which serve alcohol

Guest GLOCKGUY

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<table class="BwDhwd"><tbody><tr><td class="zyVlgb XZlFIc"><table class="BwDhwd"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="UdFq5e">to</td><td colspan="2" class="sA2K5">cleardot.gifrep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us,

cleardot.gifrep.henry.fincher@legislature.state.tn.us,

cleardot.gifrep.eddie.bass@legislature.state.tn.us,

cleardot.gifrep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us,

cleardot.gifrep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us,

cleardot.giferic.watson@legislature.state.tn.us,

</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="UdFq5e">date</td><td colspan="2" class="sA2K5">cleardot.gifTue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="UdFq5e">subject</td><td colspan="2" class="sA2K5">cleardot.gifRe: Upcoming Legislation regarding firearms.</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="UdFq5e">mailed-by</td><td colspan="2" class="sA2K5">cleardot.gifgmail.com</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">

</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td class="i8p5Ld">

</td><td class="i8p5Ld cY8xve"><table class="gQ8wIf" id="1fjl"><tbody><tr><td class="cTzXV LtBCcf t9K9Me" idlink="">cleardot.gif</td><td class="cTzXV t9K9Me" idlink="">

</td><td class="t9K9Me">

</td><td class="tKFvYb tP6gIf t9K9Me">

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>It has come to my attention that the good people of Georgia by their representatives have recently passed legislation allowing Handgun Carry Permit holders to carry their firearms in to establishments that allow on-site consumption of alcoholic beverages. The wording of the bill is very similar to the wording of the bill that was presented to both the House and Senate and was passed by the Senate. (http://www.legis.state.ga.us<wbr>/legis/2007_08/fulltext/hb89<wbr>.htm)

My question to you all is why are we in Tennessee so different from Georgia? Are we not all citizens of the same country? Should we not all be afforded the same rights? Georgia has come out and stated that their law abiding citizens have the right to defend themselves regardless that another person chooses to have a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner.

We already have laws on the books in Tennessee making it a criminal offense to poses a firearm while under the influence of alcohol, why then do we need to distinguish that a person is not even allowed to carry a firearm in to an establishment because the establishment sells alcohol to patrons for consumption? There are far more people harmed or killed in drunk driving accidents each year than are harmed or killed by a permit holder that is obeying the law. We do not expect a person to lock their car keys in the car when they enter a restaurant that serves alcohol for on site consumption. We expect them to do the right thing and not drink so much that their ability to operate a vehicle becomes impaired. We do not write tickets for drunk driving simply because a person enters the establishment with their car keys, why should handgun carry permit holders have to fear arrest, the revocation of their permit or worse the inability to even own a firearm because they forget to remove a firearm before entering a restaurant.

Tennessee also has laws on the books that allow the owners of an establishment to post a sign stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited. Why can we not leave it up to the business owner to place these signs if they do not want some one with a firearm in their establishment? This would allow the permit holders to decide at that time whether they wish to enter or not.

The proper law to make would to not have the ability to hold the owner of an establishment responsible for the actions of a patron. I believe this is the proper action to take. Too often in this state and country we create laws that only restrict the law abiding citizen and do not actually punish the criminals.

I know this matter has been held over until the next session because Speaker Naifeh kept to his tricks of stacking the deck against permit holders I just wish that the rest of you would realize that unless you can create a police force large enough such that each person has their own police officer, we citizens will ALWAYS be the first line of defense when it comes to protecting ourself, our loved ones and our fellow man. When seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Thank you for your time and I welcome your response on this matter.

This was just sent to all of the reps on the security committee.

Guest 270win

The present law is pretty hard to enforce at Chili's. Never seen pat downs before walking in to eat. GA does have some pretty terrible laws, presently, for those with licenses. Change was badly needed there. Until now, you could not legally carry a handgun on the Atlanta mass transit (felony offense). It looks like you still can't carry inside churches, since it is a 'public gathering'.

I still think it is legal to carry inside a park, whether or not the TN AG can read penal code clearly. The way I read the law, one cannot carry an 'illegal' weapon inside a park. A handgun is not an illegal weapon.

Why don't those of you who visit GA from time to time drop our Gov. Sonny Perdue a POLITE message encouraging him to sign HB89 into law. Something short and to the point. Pointing out you are disappointed in TN not passing a similar bill. That you will now be taking your dining dollars to GA as much as possible if he signs HB89 into law. We have one more hurdle. Thanks for all your help.

http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html

The PG clause (public gathering) is still in place - which is something we in GA failed to get removed. So although we can carry where alcohol is served if Gov P. signs it into law, the law can still interpret one being in violation of the PG clause if more than a few people are present. We have had some legal opinions on that matter. But it is only opinions. So there is always in the back of one's mind "will I be charged with violating the PG law?". In TN you can carry at church - GA we cannot.

In GA we have georgiacarry.org that is funded by it's members. GCO has attorneys that will take on cities, counties and governments that violate gun laws. It was a huge help in getting this bill through the house. TN needs a similar setup. The NRA had a hand in it also.

Guest GLOCKGUY

read what this idiot thinks about this new bill waiting to get signed in to law

http://www.theblacksheartimes.com/ar...b177705176.txt

BEAVERS / Guns are already too handy

By Carol H. Beavers - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published:

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:34 AM EDT

I urge Gov. Sonny Perdue to veto House Bill 89, which would allow guns in workplaces, restaurants and other public locations.

I am a crisis consultant who works with corporations throughout the U.S., but primarily here in Georgia. These efforts are to ensure that people who come to work each day are able to do their work feeling secure and, at the end of the day, safely return home to their families.

In this work, the biggest thing we have going for us is time. Time for the angry and impulsive to cool down. Time for us to intervene and listen. Time for us to get help for the mentally unstable. Time to get the agitated under control. And, if needed, time for law enforcement to arrive. With guns at the ready, we do not have that time.

Having worked in the aftermath of the Oklahoma City bombing, in New York City after the Sept. 11 attacks and in Atlanta after the Mark O. Barton day-trader shootings, I have lots of stories. But these are the headline stories. I would like to tell you about another that went largely unnoticed. It is an important one because, with the passage of HB 89, it likely will be often repeated.

In an industrial setting just outside Atlanta, the men gathered in a break room each morning. While they awaited their assignments, the men would play cards - typically poker. They did what men do. They joked, laughed, teased each other. On this morning, when one of the men tried to change the rules of the game, an argument broke out. Insults were hurled. One of the men (let's call him Adam) said to the one changing the rules (call him Will), "You can't do that!" Epithets were hurled and manhood was challenged.

Adam was a gentle, quiet man, hugely popular with the others. He was new in our country, here legally, and eager to adopt our way of life. The weekend before, one of the men had taken him to buy a gun. That's what we do here in the South.

As the argument escalated, Adam told Will to leave him alone or he was going to have to shoot him. He had insulted him and his family. Will didn’t know Adam had a gun in his car. Perhaps it would not have mattered to Will. He, too, was riled in the heat of the moment.

Adam went to his car, retrieved his gun and, as he walked back toward the building, held the gun outstretched where all could see. Will approached and shouted at Adam to put the gun down. "You don't have the guts to use that anyway," he said. Adam did have "the guts." A bullet to the chest dropped Will immediately and he died on the spot. One of the other men ran to Adam and said, "Oh, man, what have you done!" Adam responded, "I just ruined my life." Adam turned, walked back and sat in his car and put a bullet through his brain.

That ordinary day, many lives were damaged. That morning, two families lost husbands, fathers, brothers and sons. A gun was handy.

Gov. Perdue, please veto this unspeakably dangerous bill.

(Comments block at the bottom of the page)

Managing Editor:

whardy@theblacksheartimes.com

Guest db99wj

The gun did it.

Ok, so a non living object or tool can't "do anything", this guy snapped for whatever reason, he made a conscious decision to take this other mans life, you can call it temporary insanity or whatever you want, but the fact remains, this guy decided to take this other guys life. If he had not had the gun, he could have used a knife, if no knife, he could have used a hammer if no hammer, his car, and the list goes on. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Ok, rant off, preaching to the choir. I will say I am thankful for spell check because this keyboard mispells a lot of words!

Guest nraforlife

What does her post have to do with CCW/HCP holders? Who are, by and large good, law abiding citizens.

Doesn't the new law permit business, restaurants, and other public locations to post their locales as NO GUN's allowed? If so whats the BEEF

If I am not mistaken on the PG thing, stores don't fall under that. I remember malls being discussed and because they are a privately *owned* (edited) business not publicly they don't fall under PG if I remember correctly.

For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

(9) "Publicly owned" means that a county, municipality, hospital authority, or any combination thereof holds title to or has a long-term lease acceptable to the state agency on the property on which the construction or modernization is proposed.

Edited by mdmoseley
If I am not mistaken on the PG thing, stores don't fall under that. I remember malls being discussed and because they are a privately *owned* (edited) business not publicly they don't fall under PG if I remember correctly.

For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

(9) "Publicly owned" means that a county, municipality, hospital authority, or any combination thereof holds title to or has a long-term lease acceptable to the state agency on the property on which the construction or modernization is proposed.

A reasonable person would think that, but will the LEOs or the Judges. The PG has been a thorn in the flesh on how it will be interperted.