Kimber Solo Carry range report.

Mykltn

Because so many have asked, here it is. Today I finally got the new Kimber Solo to the range for a test run. This pistol was purchased used so I was hoping the first owner preformed the proper break in. Instructions on the website say to use 124 grain or higher ammo. So keeping that in mind, on to the report.

I decided to use three different types of ammo.

First up is standard Winchester 115 grain fmj target ammo. Fired one mag and everything went fine but the slide did not lock open after the last round. Next up was 115 grain Hornady Critical Defence. Ammo shot good but slide didn't stay open after the last round again. Finally I ran a mag of 147 grain Hornady TAP ammo. This shot well also and finally the slide stayed open after the last round. Shot another mag of this and the 115 grain HCD and to my surprise both mags fired flawlessy with the slide staying open when the mag emptied. Decided to try another mag of 115 grain target FMJ and the mag stayed open on that one too. Ran another 40 rounds of 115 taget FMJ with the last two mags shot as fast as I could pull the trigger. All 40 rounds fired flawlessly.

So 10 rounds of 115 HCD, 10 rounds of 147 grain H/Tap and 50 rounds of 115 grain Winchester FMJ and no FTF or FTE. Only issue was the slide not locking open on the first two mags. Not bad I think.

Now on to accuracy. Seeing as Kimber claims to have the shortest 9MM barrel on this gun, accuracy was very good. Without trying I managed to get all rounds center mass and was even able to get 5 rounds in a three inch group at 50 feet. The gun does have a bit of a kick but not as much as an airweight .38 Spl.

So all in all, this Kimber has turned out to be an accurate, reliable subcompact. I have already cleaned and reloaded it. It is now on my hip and I don't plan on taking it off until the wife throws a fuss. This is a great little gun and has made me a happy Kimber owner.

Edited by Mykltn
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at one with the fancy crimson trace "wood" grips and thought that looked real nice. In your opion would you ever add the CT for better accuracy?

Not sure, I have the S&W Bodyguard .38 and quite honestly, I don't use the laser on it. I have always been a big believer in iron sights as they are always reliable.

Good range report, thank's for posting it. The Solo is a well made, great looking pistol that feel's fantastic in my hand and look's impressive. It's overal size and ergonomics are better than my Lc9's and I really liked the one I looked at.

It feels like a slightly (and I mean very slightly) larger version of my Sig P238. I have carried it a few times now and the rounded edges and light weight make you forget it is there. Plus I love that it is an all metal gun. Nothing against Glocks and the like, I just prefer the feel of an all metal gun.

I think the Hornady 147 TAP shot best. It's such a heavy bullet and with the +P load I believe it would give the best chance of a one shot take down. Will try some other rounds as time goes on but that is my pick for now.

Statistically, 147g even in +P are far too slow for the 9mm platform to perform well especially in such a short barrel. You are basically turning the 9mm into a heavy, slow .380. Personally I would recomend a 124g +P. Gives you the best perfomance the 9mm can achieve.

I think the Hornady 147 TAP shot best. It's such a heavy bullet and with the +P load I believe it would give the best chance of a one shot take down. Will try some other rounds as time goes on but that is my pick for now.

Be careful with the "one shot takedown" mentality. I personally wouldn't pause after the first shot just so see if they're gonna stop. I always hope I never have to shoot, but if I do, it's gonna be more than one anyway, no matter what caliber.

Be careful with the "one shot takedown" mentality. I personally wouldn't pause after the first shot just so see if they're gonna stop. I always hope I never have to shoot, but if I do, it's gonna be more than one anyway, no matter what caliber.

I have that same thought on that the only thing better than one well placed shot is 10 well placed shots.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

"One shot takedown" refers to the power of the round, not my mentality. I began my firearms training before you were born and am a firm believer and practitioner of the double tap firing method.
I have that same thought on that the only thing better than one well placed shot is 10 well placed shots.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I'd hate to have to defend my case on why I shot a mugger 10 times to a bunch of leftist jury members who don't believe I have a right to own a firearm in the first place. Two in the chest is self defense, ten in the chest is just mental.

Guest pfries
I'd hate to have to defend my case on why I shot a mugger 10 times to a bunch of leftist jury members who don't believe I have a right to own a firearm in the first place. Two in the chest is self defense, ten in the chest is just mental.

I will stop when the threat does, I have seen a person take well over 2 rounds and keep going (drugs,mental,religious fanatic)

Guest pfries

He left the person to go after the other one came back and retrieved a second weapon. I would not consider that relevant here.

From The FBI Firearms Training Unit at the FBI Academy "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness"; July, 1989 research documents

“An average of 3.5 shots were needed to stop each assailant, in those shootings were a single head shot was not inflicted first.â€

HOW MANY SHOTS

From

“Police Shootings: Who, What and How Many

The Oregonian

April 25, 1992

- Of 11 persons fatally shot by Portland police during the past four years, the average number of bullet strikes was 9.3.

- Portland police fired a total of 186 shots and scored 112 hits - missing 40 percent of their shots.â€

Looking at the averages you cannot shoot 3.5 rounds so that puts you at 4 shots (your double tap leaves you with a job half done)

40% miss so it would lead to 1.6 extra shots on average to accomplish and again you cannot fire 1.6 rounds this puts a trained individual at 6 rounds on average to effectively stop a target.

The general population does view a HCP holder to be as trained as a LEO

If you look at Oregon’s 4 year average here it was 9.3 shots on average to effectively stop the threat.

Yes these were fatal shootings see below

As highlighted in

“Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectivenessâ€

From

“U.S. Department of Justice Special Agent UREY W. PATRICK

FIREARMS TRAINING UNIT FBI ACADEMY QUANTICO, VIRGINIAâ€

“July 14, 1989

Physiologically, a determined adversary can be stopped reliably and immediately only by a shot that disrupts the brain or upper spinal cord. Failing a hit to the central nervous system, massive bleeding from holes in the heart or major blood vessels of the torso causing circulatory collapse is the only other way to force incapacitation upon an adversary, and this takes time. For example, there is sufficient oxygen within the brain to support full, voluntary action for 10-15 seconds after the heart has been destroyed.28

In fact, physiological factors may actually play a relatively minor role in achieving rapid incapacitation. Barring central nervous system hits, there is no physiological reason for an individual to be incapacitated by even a fatal wound, until blood loss is sufficient to drop blood pressure and/or the brain is deprived of oxygen. The effects of pain, which could contribute greatly to incapacitation, are commonly delayed in the aftermath of serious injury such as a gunshot wound. The body engages survival patterns, the well known "fight or flight" syndrome. Pain is irrelevant to survival and is commonly suppressed until some time later. In order to be a factor, pain must first be perceived, and second must cause an emotional response. In many individuals, pain is ignored even when perceived, or the response is anger and increased resistance, not surrender.â€

Congratulations, I think the Solo is a great looking and concealable pistol. If you're an old fart like me, don't discount the advantages of a laser sight for home protection. With less than 20/20 eye sight, getting startled out of bed at 3:00 A.M. by a break-in, still not fully functional with old eyes not able to properly focus in the best of conditions, a laser sight CAN be beneficial and a life saver. Just my .03 cents worth.

He left the person to go after the other one came back and retrieved a second weapon. I would not consider that relevant here.

From The FBI Firearms Training Unit at the FBI Academy "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness"; July, 1989 research documents

“An average of 3.5 shots were needed to stop each assailant, in those shootings were a single head shot was not inflicted first.”

So you're saying that if I caught you in my house in the middle of the night and I place two quick, well aimed shots into the center of your chest, you would not try and find an exit?

Did you happen to check it to see how it handled one-handed weak-hand? I've fiddled with but not shot the Solo, it felt nice. My litmus test for pocket guns is one-handed weak-hand shooting from a "grab and go." My Diamondback DB9 is marginal that way, as is the PF9 in my estimation. The Solo's ergonomics left me with an impression that it may very well shoot comparatively easily one-handed weak-hand.

Congratulations, I think the Solo is a great looking and concealable pistol. If you're an old fart like me, don't discount the advantages of a laser sight for home protection. With less than 20/20 eye sight, getting startled out of bed at 3:00 A.M. by a break-in, still not fully functional with old eyes not able to properly focus in the best of conditions, a laser sight CAN be beneficial and a life saver. Just my .03 cents worth.

I personally have nothing against laser sights. As I said before, I have a S&W with one. I am just old school and prefer the iron sights and point and shoot aiming. Just my preference.

Did you happen to check it to see how it handled one-handed weak-hand? I've fiddled with but not shot the Solo, it felt nice. My litmus test for pocket guns is one-handed weak-hand shooting from a "grab and go." My Diamondback DB9 is marginal that way, as is the PF9 in my estimation. The Solo's ergonomics left me with an impression that it may very well shoot comparatively easily one-handed weak-hand.

I have shot it strong and weak hand from a quick draw and it shot very well. The ambidextrous mag release and safety makes it very easy to operate in either hand. The feel is very similar to a colt mustang or Sig p238. Still looking for a good belt holster for it. I currently use a De Santis pocket holster thats worked pretty well so far.

Edited by Mykltn