How to get started hunting...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k I am re-opening this thread on the request of another member. I guess just because the OP hasn't showed back up doesn't mean someone else couldn't learn a thing or 2 that's in the same boat. Who knows the OP could be having computer problems or something. So lets keep this thread on topic. That is all carry on..

Edited by Hunting101

I would suggest that you study the game that you want to hunt, find out its habits in the area you have to use to hunt on. Maybe it would be best to just start watching and tracking for awhile before attempting to harvest.

Guns are not the only way to harvest game, so a gun may not be needed. But it you did choose a gun, a rifle is limited to alot of places and types of hunting. A shot gun works well in many types of hunting areas. But other methods work with great results too.

What ever you choose to do, be sure you are aware of the area you are going into, let somebody know where you will be, and what time you expect to return within a reasonable time frame.

Patty said it pretty good. Concentrate on one thing at a time, and your hobby/sport will grow with time. Believe this or not, the cheapest deer rifle available today, is a Mosin Nagant. Under a hundred dollars, accurate and deadly on big game! And the game goes on and on!

I am not a real successful hunter, perhaps because I do not devote enough time to it. However, I think one of the most important things to think about before you go out is the question, "What do I expect to gain from this experience?" It is likely that you will not harvest game the first time out or even the first season. So you must consider, is it a failure if you don't harvest game or is it still a charished experience to gain knowledge and be a part of this wonderful creation? For myself, I think my hunt would almost be equally enjoyable if I did not even take a gun.

If your sole objective is to harvest an animal, good luck to you, but also remember that you might be setting yourself up for failure and a dismal experience. Take time to enjoy the other aspects of a hunt that most people never have the pleasure to experience.

All that kinda sounds like I am a hippy or something, and maybe I am a little. However, this philosophy has allowed my to never have a "bad hunt." Any day hunting is a good day regardless of the day's bounty.

I am not a real successful hunter, perhaps because I do not devote enough time to it. However, I think one of the most important things to think about before you go out is the question, "What do I expect to gain from this experience?" It is likely that you will not harvest game the first time out or even the first season. So you must consider, is it a failure if you don't harvest game or is it still a charished experience to gain knowledge and be a part of this wonderful creation? For myself, I think my hunt would almost be equally enjoyable if I did not even take a gun.

If your sole objective is to harvest an animal, good luck to you, but also remember that you might be setting yourself up for failure and a dismal experience. Take time to enjoy the other aspects of a hunt that most people never have the pleasure to experience.

All that kinda sounds like I am a hippy or something, and maybe I am a little. However, this philosophy has allowed my to never have a "bad hunt." Any day hunting is a good day regardless of the day's bounty.

VERY WELL SAID!!

You are correct. A lot of people forget the beauty God created for us. It's nice to harvest an animal but there is so much more to gain. Just getting out in the woods trying makes you a better hunter.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more with this. I'm still a hunting beginner, but know enough that the experience of the hunt is more important to me than harvesting an animal. Being outdoors, having some alone time with my gun :), enjoying nature. And if something happens to cross the path of my gun, all the better. But not getting an animal wouldn't constitute a failure. And everytime I get to go out, I learn something new for the next time.

I couldn't agree more with this. I'm still a hunting beginner, but know enough that the experience of the hunt is more important to me than harvesting an animal. Being outdoors, having some alone time with my gun :), enjoying nature. And if something happens to cross the path of my gun, all the better. But not getting an animal wouldn't constitute a failure. And everytime I get to go out, I learn something new for the next time.

You have the right attitude! Well said!