Gobble Gobble

Well thought my camera had died on me. I was messing around with it and I actually got the hunt on camera. Messed with the settings so the screen would stay on and I could see it filming. This turkey was in some really thick stuff. The first shot I actually shot a little back, I was shooting from a real weird angle and I really thought I had a good shot but I guess I didn't. He came in behind us instead of out in the field. The second shot I missed as he was flapping away and I had trees and brush all in my eyes and I was rushing the shot and I'm fat so I was tired from going all morning and having to run through all that crap. The third shot was on the money and he went down. I ran over and finished him off before he ruined his fan against the fence. Not my best hunt but hey we all have them I just happened to get mine on film. The tom is a little hard to see. Hope you enjoy my chaos lol. Hopefully I will get one to give me a better filming angle next time. I'm just excited I actually got something on film. Will for sure learn from this one. Oh and this is the most I have ever shot at a turkey, Previous was 2.

Edited by Hunting101

Decided it would be a good day to lay outta work, and boy was I right. Snuck to about 100 yards of some roosted birds this morning. They were gobbling hard off the roost at anything. As soo. As they flew down I give em a few yelps and shut up. Come to me like they were on a string. IMAG0396.jpg

H-101, cool video. I would have had waaayyyy too much cussing in my video to be able to post it. Way to finish it up. Not bad for a big guy in crocs! :rofl:

Congrats Bad_Bowtie. We went this morning, but didn't hear a peep.

I've been watching this bird for a few days. It never would cross my neighbor's fence. Yesterday it folowed some hens 40 yards on to my place and BOOM. My neighbor was pissed. He's the kind of guy that finds out where you hunt and tries to run off game in your area. He came out to the edge of his property and got on the cell phone as I tagged the bird in on line. My wife smiled and waved. He stomped off in discust. I'm positive he called the game warden. I want a copy of the conversation so bad.

DB: My neighborr just shot a turkey!

GW: It's turkey season.

DB: But it was next to my property!

GW: Was he within 100 yds of your house?

DB: NO.

GW: Was he on his property?

DB: Yes

GW: What do you want us to do?

DB: Stop the deer and turkey from walking on his property. :rofl:

606.jpg

626.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I did. Can't wait for next spring...

Bow season in 4 months....Can't get one then? You'll not last till spring....you'll be a wired quivering mass of nerves by then my friend.

You know me...I just had to say it!

Dave

Bow season in 4 months....Can't get one then? You'll not last till spring....you'll be a wired quivering mass of nerves by then my friend.

You know me...I just had to say it!

Dave

Very true. I won't let one walk during bow season, I just don't make an effort to target them. There's just something special about a gobbler hammering on the limb in the spring.

Hope everyone had a great season.

Not so much but I'm not blaming the birds. Only went out 3 times and each time for only a few hours. Struck out and saw nothing but hens each time and a few really small jakes. The was my first season hunting turkey so I'm considering it a learning experience and prep for next time.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lester Weevils

Apologies not a hunting question, but about turkey behavior-- Was listening to an old novel written in the 1930's or 1940's. The novel tells a turkey factoid which sounds almost weird enough to be true--

Think I've read that modern domestic turkeys don't fly much, but in this old novel a character explains-- If you try to raise turkeys with a high fence, then the turkeys will fly over the fence and escape. But if you have a low fence then the turkeys don't fly over the low fence. It said the turkeys will bump into the fence trying to get out and then the turkeys will walk around and around the perimeter looking for a gap to walk thru the fence. But turkeys are too "dumb" to know that they can fly over a low fence.

Reckon that was ever true?

Sometimes in times of drought, wild turkeys will get in dad's 4 foot chainlink fenced yard to drink out of the concrete bird bath. But maybe four foot is not the right height to qualify as a low fence to a turkey? Turkeys going over that four foot fence is more like a big jump than flying.

Thanks, just curious.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've never heard that before, but that's interesting, since I think Turkeys are on of the dumbest animals ever put on the planet!! I'm gonna research it!

Thanks WD-40. Maybe you know folks to ask or specific places to look on the web. I tried googling but there are many web hunting discussions, apparently about captive hunting, with the phrases "turkey" "high fence" and "low fence". So the needle is hidden in a google haystack.

Edited by Lester Weevils