Obsolete handguns, gotta love 'em

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

here's the most antiquated, out of date, fallen by the way-side old pissy pusses I own. How about you? Got any of these shadows of former days laying 'round?

DSC00068.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
yea those are all junk, why dont you send them my way and i'll dispose of them properly for you

oh, just melt them down and be done with them, 98 year old design, can't be worth exploring anyway

Guest gcrookston

oh, in case any one asks about the thread starter, that is a 1968 Gold Cup National Match, a PT1911 and a Sig XO.... All POS... lets melt them down and make Glocks.... Let's see some more of those foundry worthy POS's

Guest gcrookston
I knew we'd agree on something.

1911? That's pretty new fangled, untried technology where I come from. I'm much more comfortable with something a little more tried and true:

we've alway's agreed on this point... but, call me a "romantic"... see my ad in WTS/WTT

Guest gcrookston
Here ya go! A FN Hi-Power in .40 S&W. What happened to your 1911 when it grew up.:wave:

there she is, right there!!! good show! P1935... that would be... 73 years ago

Guest gcrookston
GCrookston, if I were home to take a photo I'd show you a pile of similiar junk...

Nice smiley face on the plug, BTW

Thanks, Mark. I stole it off a member of the 1911 forum.

I have to admit, I wouldn't ever carry a 1911, nor depend on one to save my life. But, I sure do like them. Kinda like the abused woman that keeps going back to her husband, I suppose. One was the first large calibre handgun I ever owned and I've owned dozens of them over the years (mostly pre-1940).

I believe the P220 or HK USP Tactical to be superior pistols -- and rightly so, given 80+ years of hindsight and evolution.

What I specifically do not like about the design is the inability to safely chamber a round during carry. Hammer down, not only is the firing pin still exposed to shock, but you have to cock it before firing. Half cocked -- well, that about says it all. Cocked and locked still poses a significant danger as the safety is easily buffeted and disengaged. I much prefer the P220 for it's passive safety system and SA/DA action.

Guest atomemphis
Thanks, Mark. I stole it off a member of the 1911 forum.

I have to admit, I wouldn't ever carry a 1911, nor depend on one to save my life. But, I sure do like them. Kinda like the abused woman that keeps going back to her husband, I suppose. One was the first large calibre handgun I ever owned and I've owned dozens of them over the years (mostly pre-1940).

I believe the P220 or HK USP Tactical to be superior pistols -- and rightly so, given 80+ years of hindsight and evolution.

What I specifically do not like about the design is the inability to safely chamber a round during carry. Hammer down, not only is the firing pin still exposed to shock, but you have to cock it before firing. Half cocked -- well, that about says it all. Cocked and locked still poses a significant danger as the safety is easily buffeted and disengaged. I much prefer the P220 for it's passive safety system and SA/DA action.

I guess I am going to be the guy that always disagrees with this. I have no qualms about carrying a 1911. My manual safety is engaged, and should it become disengaged, the grip safety must also be depressed & the trigger squeezed simultaneously. My Series II Kimber has the firing pin block as well.

I just have not heard a believable enough scenario to make me think it is unsafe. The only stories I've ever heard were from friends of friends of friends of an uncle who knew a guy whose dog went to grooming school with another dog who's owner once met a bloke who had this happen....

Guest Mugster

Both the sig and the taurus are modern pistols with firing pin disconnectors or blockers as the case may be. Perhaps you should read the appropriate manuals for your firearms or take them apart and figure out how they work. While anything can fail, I fail to see how any DA pistol is much safer hammer down or striker at rest.

Carrying cocked and locked does seem scary I guess. Some of us have done it "downrange" so its not a big deal. Personally, I'd be alot less trusting of a decocking device, but to each their own. I think we can reach consensus, however, that carrying cocked and locked (condition 1) is OK for daily carry. Going to condition 0 or just cocked might be worth some discussion.

The only real advantage modern pistols offer imo, is increased magazine capacity and reduced weight. These are significant advantages and can't be discounted, especially for military personnel.

In terms of putting 2-4 rapid shots on target, a properly tuned 1911 is right in there with the best of them...and when most people shoot one of mine after shooting glocks or sigs or whatever, they usually say something like "wow, that thing is really easy to hit stuff with". And thats what you want.

• 2 years later...