Mid-TN shooters bulk ammo purchase?

Guest Len

A couple of us were talking about this topic today at Volunteer Pistol Club. I thought I'd get things started. I have some questions on how we can make it work, but I see these as the main issues:

1) How much of what to buy? 10,000 rounds of .45acp maybe? or 9mm or .40 or???

2) Where to buy it from? Someplace that includes shipping in the price or has reasonable shipping rates hopefully.

3) How to pay for it? Would someone have to put it all on a credit card and hope for repayment, or is there a better way?

4) How to distribute it? At a match or other get-together?

5) Is it worth the hassle? Would we save enough to make dealing with 1-4 above worth while?

I'll commit to 500-1000 rounds of 9 or .45 depending on the price.

Discuss.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could purchase enough to keep the price quite low, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Maybe one of our site vendors would be willing to lend a helping hand. If we could get enough people to commit/pay for in advance, that may help. I am a member on another forum, and site vendors often have "group buys" kinda like this.

I'd be in for some .40 S&W.

Guest gsbell

Doesn't hurt to call someone like Atlanta Arms and Ammo, you can probably get quality reloaded competition ammo cheaper than Walmart fodder. Find out what their min order is to get a discount.

I would be in for maybe 1000 rounds of 45acp,and 9mm.

Theres a distributor here in Chatt(Natchez Shooters Supply,and they also DBA Chattanooga shooting or something like that)But they only sell to dealers in TN,GA,and AL.They have cheaper prices then WalMart minus the shipping,but they may be willing to let a friendly tgo dealer pick it up local

Guest bang-flash

1k rounds isn't very much to be trying to get a discount. i would think the volume discount doesn't start til around 10k or greater. i routinely order 1k every month in one of two calibers.

and as rabbi said its all pretty competitively priced. but if someone works out a bargain then i'd be in for some 9mm and 223. assuming its less than what i already pay.

1k rounds isn't very much to be trying to get a discount. i would think the volume discount doesn't start til around 10k or greater. i routinely order 1k every month in one of two calibers.

and as rabbi said its all pretty competitively priced. but if someone works out a bargain then i'd be in for some 9mm and 223. assuming its less than what i already pay.

Thats 1,000 rounds for each cal.

If Lens in for 1,000,im in for 2,000.......

The only way I have found to cut my cost, seriously cut my cost, and still have match grade ammo is to reload my own.

I was buying Atlanta Arms 9mm 147gr match for $175.00 plus shipping ($20) per 1k rounds. At almost .20 cents a round, and using a fair amount of ammo, I cut my cost down to .09 cents a round by reloading my own match ammo.

Just my .02 cents worth.

If my count from the "I"d be in" posters is correct...we're around 11,000 rounds of various calibers. I've been emailing Georgia Arms on another order and asked what it would take. I was given an email address and told we'd need a FFL or a tax ID number

(do you need an FFL to re-sell ammo? if it was a bunch of us going in..would that be considered reselling?)

If anyone is serious I'll email the guy and get specifics on prices and quantity needed.

I meant to ask about that earlier.Could one get in trouble for reselling it to friends like that?

What I was thinking is if I can get Natchez to sell to me and allow me to pick it up with out charging for shipping,it would be a decent deal.Than I could deliver it to a shoot or vice-versa

Edit:Meant to say sell it to me with out charging for shipping

Edited by strickj
Guest recoveryman1

im good for a grand of .45 long as the price is right and it aint junk ammo another thought would be what about buying from somebody that reloads ammo for a range somewhere (i think range usa sells reloads that some one does locally for them)

This sounds like a plan if we can make it work legal-wise. If we're all pitching in together, would it not be a group purchase and not a re-sell situation? No profit.

If it happens I'm in for MINIMUM 1000 rounds. Maybe up to 2000, mix of .45acp and 9mm. Maybe some 5.56/.223 as well.

I meant to ask about that earlier.Could one get in trouble for reselling it to friends like that?

What I was thinking is if I can get Natchez to sell to me and allow me to pick it up with charging for shipping,it would be a decent deal.Than I could deliver it to a shoot or vice-versa

Actually, it is pretty simple.

Chattanooga Shooter's Supply will deliver to dealers if the order is over $500.

After checking dealer prices there, one may be able to get a better price on some calibers at Widener's

http://www.wideners.com/

The Civilian market is very low on 223 ammo. Widener's collects Tn Sales Tax, but has military calibers. Chattanooga is OUT of 223 at this time.

It is time to reload, especially non military calibers.

It seems Rabbi is kindly offering to host a class. I imagine he can get you started. It does not have to cost an arm and leg.

Guest 70below

Not to be a naysayer, but I've seen this topic occur on many sites before, the two biggest breakers are someone willing to carry the balance of the purchase until the ammo is distributed and the fact that most ammo manufactures or dealers don't deeply discount unless quantities of 100,000 rds + minimum are reached. 100 cases is hard to distribute and hard for any one person to carry on their personal account. That said, I'm game if someone can find a real deal.