Looking for a Reliable gunsmith in the Memphis area.

Guest Looney102

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no 1911 smith in Memphis that is worth writing about. I've been asking for years. All the locals I've asked, including all the shops, have said to just ship the gun out to a reputable 1911 smith for anything beyond installing sights.

One person who I've contacted before is Tim Calhoun. His email address calhouncustomfirearms @ comcast.net. I haven't done any business with him yet but so far he has been pleasant to talk to and am seriously considering him to do a build from the ground up for me someday. I believe he is around Nashville and also has a username on this board.

Get in touch with Tim Calhoun at Calhoun Custom Firearms

Tim builds and works on 1911's and 2011's for competition and carry. He built the 6-inch limited gun in my avatar picture and made my 9mm STI Trojan run 100%. Obviously I'm biased because he is a good friend, but there is no way I would let anyone else near my 1911's.

He isn't based in Memphis (Kingston Springs about 30 miles west of Nashville), but he gets there to shoot with MSSA now and then, and of course shipping is an option.

Give him a call. You won't be disappointed.

Aaron

Get in touch with Tim Calhoun at Calhoun Custom Firearms

Tim builds and works on 1911's and 2011's for competition and carry. He built the 6-inch limited gun in my avatar picture and made my 9mm STI Trojan run 100%. Obviously I'm biased because he is a good friend, but there is no way I would let anyone else near my 1911's.

He isn't based in Memphis (Kingston Springs about 30 miles west of Nashville), but he gets there to shoot with MSSA now and then, and of course shipping is an option.

Give him a call. You won't be disappointed.

Aaron

thanks

that looks like the real deal

Bills Custom Automatics

Also check these guys out. Owned and operated by Tim and Bill Thompson. Tim is an awesome gunsmith from Custom rifles to 1911 Race Guns and anything in between. The only gunsmith I use in the Memphis area. I would say it is probably 120 mi. to Shelby, MS. Tim also comes to Memphis for matches at MSSA, and shipping is also an option. Again great people to deal with. Sounds like Calhoun is top notch also. The more good smiths we can find the better!

Where is the best place in Memphis to get sights installed?

For just sights, I'm told that Classic Arms on Germantown Parkway beside Corky's is the best for that service. I've only used them for their FFL services but I've seen a lot of customers go in there for sight installation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 357 Mag

Are you sure Keith Warner couldn't do 1911 work. He's under Tommy Bronson's on Highland in Memphis. He treated me well, was middle of the road to slightly higher in price, but treated me well and was fast. His # is 458-5458.