Anybody coyote hunt?

Just curious? Trying to see if anyone has ever tried the iHunt iPhone app. I work at Muscle Shoals Fire Dept. we have a station at the airport and have a crazy coyote problem. We took my phone and played it over the PA system in the firetruck. It was astonishing how many came in!!! Even the airport worrkers were out looking and taking in the action. The airport director has told us to come back and take the shotgun and or rifle that the workers have and "take care of their problem". Anyway the app is crazy good and must work!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpicyMchaggis

Which airport and how can I help? I use a Foxpro personally and would be more than happy to trek south.

Edited by SpicyMchaggis

I haven't done any hunting in Tennessee yet, but I've hunted coyotes in PA, VA, NY, and CT. There's nothing quite like making a fort out of dead coyotes. I roll with a FoxPro as well - let me know if you need help.

Edited by rgaper
Just curious? Trying to see if anyone has ever tried the iHunt iPhone app. I work at Muscle Shoals Fire Dept. we have a station at the airport and have a crazy coyote problem. We took my phone and played it over the PA system in the firetruck. It was astonishing how many came in!!! Even the airport worrkers were out looking and taking in the action. The airport director has told us to come back and take the shotgun and or rifle that the workers have and "take care of their problem". Anyway the app is crazy good and must work!!

Thanks, now I just spent $3.99 on a new app, geesh. :D

Guest SpicyMchaggis

I haven't done any hunting in Tennessee yet, but I've hunted coyotes in PA, VA, NY, and CT. There's nothing quite like making a fort out of dead coyotes. I roll with a FoxPro as well - let me know if you need help.

Whereabouts in CT? I lived in CT for years and made quite a dent in the local population.

I've been predator hunting for years. I'm very passionate about the sport. Nothing like calling in a predator to within yards of you. I use both handcalls and e-callers. Me and my dad have a trip to Blue Mound Kansas this fall to shoot some video. Should be exciting.

While driving home tonight only 300yds from my driveway (I live in the country) I was almost run over by a coyote. This thing was on a mission to cross the road before I got to him. At least a 40-45#er, this thing was huge for a yote. Maybe I should change locations front the less hunted airfield to the backyard.

I know you other coyote hunters agree the sheer site of them get my heart thumping. Need to get the lead slinging.

My neighbor lady called me this morning saying that a yote was chasing horses. I couldn't get dressed and out the door fast enough to do any good. I have been keeping my eye out for it all day.

I honestly never heard of a single yote going after horses. She saw it and said it was big,and she has seen enough of them to know sizes.

It was yipping and hollering as it went up the hill.

I do believe there was just the one and not several. Sure wish I could have gotten a shot off

I may want to get in on hunting coyotes soon. Though i do not know if you need a permit to hunt these critters since i cannot find any info on the TWRA site about needing one. Anyone know what i would need if i decide to get into the activity?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 270win

Have any of y'all used a 12 ga shotgun on coyotes? I can only use a shotgun or a rimfire on public land out in Fayette County. I know the biggest shot I can use is T shot this year on public land. I figure put a full choke tube in should work. What is a good shotshell that isn't expensive? I would hate to spend a lot of money on premium shells if some cheap stuff will get the job done on coyotes.

Also what is a good call to use for a beginning coyote hunter and easy to use? If a 17HMR would work I would in some ways rather use that than a shotgun because of added range. I can borrow one if the 17 will work with the right ammo.

Edited by 270win

I carry a shotgun and rifle with me. I use heavy shot T because it works great. #4 shot turkey load at close range works good. Make sure you pattern your shotgun with the load your going to use. As far as calls go, any rabbit distress will work. Remember no 2 rabbits sound the same when being eating. As long as you make the call sound like its dying you can get the attention of a coyote. I use jackrabbit sounds and we don't have any around here but to them its something dying and an easy meal.